Getting in Shape

Peanut Butter

Hi Ladies!

I haven't posted on this board in a really long time but I am still working on losing weight. My problem now is that I am completely obsessed with peanut butter. I know it's not completely bad for you but I feel bad eating it knowing the calories in it. Do any of you have other recommendations or is eating  a couple tablespoons daily okay?
Anniversary

Re: Peanut Butter

• Anything in moderation should be fine. If you're staying within your calorie goal I don't really see the problem?
  • A couple of tablespoons a day might be pushing it - the fats are healthy, but remember that everything in moderation is usually the best way to go.

I do one tablespoon a day with an apple, and look forward to it.  Some days I'll do a good old PB&J, and then I skip the pb with the apple.
    Anniversary
  • I usually eat PB with a rice cake in the AM. On nights that I have school I have a PB&J and sometimes during the day I'll have a little spoonful. It feels like a lot.
    Anniversary
  • Doesn't sound awful.  Maybe just cut out the daytime spoonful on days you're having a pb&j
    Anniversary
  • As long as you're within your calorie goal you should be ok.

If you really feel bad about it and you're still getting plenty of fats from other things, you can always check out a product like PB2.  It's got the protein of peanut butter, and I think it tastes fine, but it's got less fat.  It's powdered, so it's ideal for things like smoothies, oatmeal, etc, but you can rehydrate it pretty easily.  It sounds gross, but it's really not bad at all.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I eat peanut butter all the time, and almond butter, and hazelnut butter. LOVE IT. Note that I also eat meat only 2-3 times a week. I'm also an endurance athlete on the side so nuts are my friends. All natural peanut butter with no salt or sugar is actually very good for you.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • While dewingedpixie is right - nut butters are good for you, make sure you are only eating as much as you think you are.  I would go with Lobster's advice and cut out the snack spoonfulls - depending on how big your spoonful is, it could be packing 3 Tbs (270 extra calories) - you could have half a bagel with a tablespoon of peanut butter for less than that!  In other words, it's a double-edged sword, so I would suggest always measuring it out...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_peanut-butter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:74a25683-74bf-4c1e-8a1c-b8dc308e1a09Post:9d166cf1-3185-449b-a4c4-344f3ca6a53b">Re: Peanut Butter</a>:
    [QUOTE]I eat peanut butter all the time, and almond butter, and hazelnut butter. LOVE IT. Note that I also eat meat only 2-3 times a week. I'm also an endurance athlete on the side so nuts are my friends.<strong> All natural peanut butter with no salt or sugar is actually very good for you.</strong>
    Posted by dewingedpixie[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This.  Don't buy the reduced fat peanut butter as they often up the sugar (carb) content to keep a good flavor since the fat content is reduced.  Reduced fat pb also tends to have the same (or very similar) calorie counts as regular pb.
    </div>
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Funny, I was just thinking last night ( as I was dipping a spoon into the PB jar) Damn this is addictive I wonder if I am killing my diet with this?

I think you ladies show good self control with only a little here and there. I need to put the PB on the top shelf because when I want a quick snack it is always the first thing I grab.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_peanut-butter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:74a25683-74bf-4c1e-8a1c-b8dc308e1a09Post:4b3e5a2c-8e92-402b-bb4d-02c382b386bb">Re: Peanut Butter</a>:
    [QUOTE]While dewingedpixie is right - nut butters are good for you, make sure you are only eating as much as you think you are.  I would go with Lobster's advice and cut out the snack spoonfulls - depending on how big your spoonful is, it could be packing 3 Tbs (270 extra calories) - you could have half a bagel with a tablespoon of peanut butter for less than that!  In other words, it's a double-edged sword, so I would suggest always measuring it out...
    Posted by PrincessJas[/QUOTE]

I agree with this portions are important too. I can be a little more lienent with my spoonful because I'm not eating meat and I exercise a lot. I do eat nut butters and nuts pretty much everyday though.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Peanut butter has a lot of protein and good fat, look for a natural and naturally low in sugar PB and I think 2tbs a day are fine, probably best after a work out though. Also I say "natural" and "naturally" bc when you get into those low fat, sugar free foods, they have to add other things in there for taste that are worse than the fat and sugar to begin with :)
  • Awesome! Thank you ladies! My husband just bought this all natural PB. Higher calories but hopefully I can keep it to a minimum.
    Anniversary
  • PB2 is great option as well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • yeah. Since I'm now vegan, PB/Almond butter are my BFFs. 
    I'm always struggling to keep my calorie count and fat count up, though, so stuff like that and avocados are integral parts of my diet.
    As long as you're food logging to make sure you're not overdoing it, you'll be just fine. 
    I also get the pricier stuff so that the only ingredient on my almond butter is "almonds" 
    It's a messier butter since the oils separate and it has to be put in the fridge, but worth it. 

• Agreed - once you go "natural," you won't go back. I mix 1 T natural PB with 1/3 cup of oats/quinoa/buckwheat/flaxseed as part of my breakfast. So filling - and mixed with other things makes it feel like I'm eating even more. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards