North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Cheap Elopment package?

Just the two of us pre-big wedding eloping to relieve the stress. Need.a decent photographer, a good setting, decent accomodations. Don't need cake or flowers. I can manage that myself. Thoughts? In Jersey, can be flexibkle.

Unimpressed with the Sanderling.

Re: Cheap Elopment package?

• Options

I would suggest looking at the Whalehead Club. The point at the club was a very close second for me. I know they had some different packages available for very small weddings.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_cheap-elopment-package?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:45e701bc-fefa-4df6-9ff0-c9b5893a0e49Post:418d88fb-f434-40c6-8bce-c31e79fbb40e">Re: Cheap Elopment package?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would suggest looking at the Whalehead Club. The point at the club was a very close second for me. I know they had some different packages available for very small weddings.
    Posted by peaksarah[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll check it out. Looking more for a little B&B place that just can wrap it up in a few hours, but I'll inquire with them.
  • Options
    There are a lot of cute little B&B places in Ocracoke - though I don't know if any have packages.  I just think that would be the perfect place to elope.
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options

When we were looking for officiants, we came across Bob Woody.  He and his wife own a B&B called White Doe Inn on Roanoke Island, and they do weddings there.  Didn't look into it myself, but you might like it?

http://www.whitedoeinn.com/

• Options
    Welcome!

What about the Sanderling do you not like?  That way, we can help you narrow down your choices.

You may also want to look into The Cypress House Inn or The Cameron House Inn--this one has a private honeymoon suite that is separate from the main house.

• Options
    Quite curious to hear what you don't like about The Sanderling.  No particular reason though, just curious. Wink
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Well to start, it's 6 grand. It's really just our civil ceremony. We want something quick, intimate and not overblown as to not take away from the specialness of the later ceremony with family and friends. Like an hour. Not a fiesta, lol :)
  • Options
    Just have to watch what you say about venues because some of us are getting married there. :-). The Sanderling is GORGEOUS; if your concerned about the cost, understandable, but "unimpressed"?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Well I have never been there, but I have seen 6k elopment packages that seemed more impressive to me in my research. I know a lot of people love it there and it has fantastic reviews, but it's just not what we're looking for :)
  • Options
    We all have different tastes and budgets to work with, so what one may like, another may not.  That is the great thing about this board....helping each other figure out what we do and don't want.  There were several venues that were in the same price range as 108 Budleigh, and I fell in love with it when I walked through the doors, but several other Knotties didn't like the location being in Manteo or it just wasn't their style.

How many people are you having half-past?  You want an elopement package, but are having another ceremony back home, correct?  Just trying to figure out what may work best for you if we have an idea of how many people you are having, your budget and how big or small you are trying to make this.   

Are you having an actual ceremony back home or just a reception with friends and family?  It's a highly debatable topic across the boards and certain boards don't respond well to it....just giving a heads up in case you decide to venture out there.

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2012
    Well, I found the answer to my question on the Budget Boards.  You want to have 2 weddings, a small one in obx and a big "real" one, back home.  While it's your wedding and your money, this is a public board, so I am adding my 2 cents here:  I don't like the idea of it b/c it seems as if you and your FI are lying to everyone around you.  Why not just have one big destination wedding in the obx and invite ALL of your friends and family down? 

If The Sanderling doens't impress you, what does?  It's been a featured resort in several travel magazines and has been featured as one of the top resorts on the East Coast on the Travel Channel, so I'm not really sure what else you could be looking for?  It just seems as if you are turning your nose down to it, that's all. 

ETA:  I am really sorry to hear that your FI is having health issues.  May he recover quickly from this.  Now, after thoroughly reading your post on the Budget board, as the Mod of THIS board, I am going to advise you to watch your language.  It is quite inappropriate to call anyone on TK "bitches" or anything of the like.  By not telling your family that you ARE having a civil ceremony, you ARE lying to them.  You may not like hearing it, but a lie is a lie.  Period.  Like I said, it's your money and your business, but when you post on a public board with women that have worked hard to pay for their ONE wedding day, you aren't going to get a lot of positive feedback.  Why not just have one big wedding and celebration in the obx?  I don't understand.

• Options
    Half Past, i'd recommend watching what you say, who you say it to, and the things you want to accomplish.  I'm sorry that your FI is having health issues, whatever those may be.  No one deserves to be in pain and suffer.  However I can't say that I agree with trying to throw something together in order to circumvent the health system.  And on top of that, calling it a marriage, THEN wanting to do it again in order to have a big party when more can attend?  All this sounds really selfish.  Why didn't you just make a post of "Looking for a 1K or less elopement in the OBX".  I think your responses would have been much more congenial and not as harsh.  As it stands now, you've insulted many of us, including me and my FI by insulting the place where we will call each other Husband and Wife for the first time.  As Knotties, alot of us have opinions and might not agree with where each of us gets married, but I've found that an "unwritten rule" amongst us is that we don't insult where each other gets or is getting married.  That's a no no.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think she was attacking how the Sanderling looks necessarily; she mentioned it was the price that bothered her.

I'm obviously not sure of the whole situation, but I would recommend talking to your family.  If you want to have a small wedding (even an elopement), then have a small wedding - but be up front about it.  I can understand why health problems would drive you to want to avoid the large amount of stress that comes along with a large wedding. 

We sort of had 2 weddings... not really by choice (my husband's parents insisted on throwing a reception for us "back home" for his relatives who wouldn't attend).  So if you talk to your family about wanting just something small, then maybe they'll still want to have a reception for you at home anyways?  I just wouldn't want to start off your marriage by being untruthful with those who love you the most. 
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_cheap-elopment-package?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:45e701bc-fefa-4df6-9ff0-c9b5893a0e49Post:30070eea-d8cf-478c-b1df-81edea84c4bf">Re: Cheap Elopment package?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, I found the answer to my question on the Budget Boards.  You want to have 2 weddings, a small one in obx and a big "real" one, back home.  While it's your wedding and your money, this is a public board, so I am adding my 2 cents here:  I don't like the idea of it b/c it seems as if you and your FI are lying to everyone around you.  Why not just have one big destination wedding in the obx and invite ALL of your friends and family down?  If The Sanderling doens't impress you, what does?  It's been a featured resort in several travel magazines and has been featured as one of the top resorts on the East Coast on the Travel Channel, so I'm not really sure what else you could be looking for?  It just seems as if you are turning your nose down to it, that's all.  ETA:  I am really sorry to hear that your FI is having health issues.  May he recover quickly from this.  Now, after thoroughly reading your post on the Budget board, as the Mod of THIS board, I am going to advise you to watch your language.  It is quite inappropriate to call anyone on TK "bitches" or anything of the like.  By not telling your family that you ARE having a civil ceremony, you ARE lying to them.  You may not like hearing it, but a lie is a lie.  Period.  Like I said, it's your money and your business, but when you post on a public board with women that have worked hard to pay for their ONE wedding day, you aren't going to get a lot of positive feedback.  Why not just have one big wedding and celebration in the obx?  I don't understand.
    Posted by OBX2011[/QUOTE]

Clearly you didn't read the whole thread or you would understand why they were being called bitches. They said I was let's see.."tacky, gross, eww, a liar." I still don't know where I asked ANYONE for their advice on how to run my show. I fail to see what they're paying for their one big day gives them the right to pass judgment on my REQUEST FOR A VENUE, not a condemnation of my personal ceremony choices. They PRESUMED as you do, that I would be lying to them. Failure to omit details is not lying. I also never said I was having a wedding, and it's perfectly within etiquette to have a reception following. So do me favor as moderator of the least helpful board known to man and just delete all my posts. I'm about to get burned at the stake for not being in love with The Sanderling, even. I'd do it myself, but evidently there is no way to delete the drivel that I've had to deal with the past two days. Off to a board where people answer your question, not try and deal with their insecurities by insulting you.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_cheap-elopment-package?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:45e701bc-fefa-4df6-9ff0-c9b5893a0e49Post:ba5a9435-cb0f-4e9c-aec1-c00df405450c">Re: Cheap Elopment package?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Half Past, i'd recommend watching what you say, who you say it to, and the things you want to accomplish.  I'm sorry that your FI is having health issues, whatever those may be.  No one deserves to be in pain and suffer.  However I can't say that I agree with trying to throw something together in order to circumvent the health system.  And on top of that, calling it a marriage, THEN wanting to do it again in order to have a big party when more can attend?  All this sounds really selfish.  Why didn't you just make a post of "Looking for a 1K or less elopement in the OBX".  I think your responses would have been much more congenial and not as harsh.  As it stands now, you've insulted many of us, including me and my FI by insulting the place where we will call each other Husband and Wife for the first time.  As Knotties, alot of us have opinions and might not agree with where each of us gets married, but I've found that an "unwritten rule" amongst us is that we don't insult where each other gets or is getting married.  That's a no no.
    Posted by Phillyboy06[/QUOTE]

Never insulted where you were getting married. Just said it wasn't for me. Hope you love the turn down service. Have a chocolate chip cookie and massage for me. :)
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is purposefully not being helpful, but as OBX2011 said, most of us planned for bigger weddings... 40 to upwards of 200 people, so unforuntately we can't be a lot of help in the elopement package area.  You've gotten at least 4 suggestions at this point, but we can share the best vendor site that we share with everyone: http://www.outerbanksweddingassoc.org/

I honestly don't know where you're going to go to get more answers on the Outer Banks wedding than here, but good luck to you.
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_cheap-elopment-package?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:45e701bc-fefa-4df6-9ff0-c9b5893a0e49Post:f2d789c8-ce92-4e1b-a8ce-d0473345443e">Re: Cheap Elopment package?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cheap Elopment package? : Clearly you didn't read the whole thread or you would understand why they were being called bitches. They said I was let's see.."tacky, gross, eww, a liar." I still don't know where I asked ANYONE for their advice on how to run my show. I fail to see what they're paying for their one big day gives them the right to pass judgment on my REQUEST FOR A VENUE, not a condemnation of my personal ceremony choices. They PRESUMED as you do, that I would be lying to them. Failure to omit details is not lying. I also never said I was having a wedding, and it's perfectly within etiquette to have a reception following. So do me favor as moderator of the least helpful board known to man and just delete all my posts. I'm about to get burned at the stake for not being in love with The Sanderling, even. I'd do it myself, but evidently there is no way to delete the drivel that I've had to deal with the past two days. Off to a board where people answer your question, not try and deal with their insecurities by insulting you.
    Posted by half-past[/QUOTE]

You have an absolutely foul attitude and you should really start working on that.

YOU came to a public board and asked about a venue to elope and it was YOU who chose to share the details of basically having 2 weddings.  So therefore, YOU opened yourself up to criticism.  It is a public site and we are allowed to comment on anything we choose too.  You cannot tell someone how to post. 

And thank you very much, but I know how to read, and quite well actually.  Just because someone commented that what you were doing was tacky, which it is btw, does not give you the right to call them bitches.  Do it on this board and you will be banned.  Consider that your warning, just so we're upfront and everything. 

You openly stated that you were going to have an elopement and then a big wedding next year, therefore exchanging your vows....again, and that no one would be the wiser. That is lying. I don't know any other way to get this across to you.  You cannot have two legal ceremonies, yet that is what you are planning on doing.  Yes, it is fine to have a reception back home and I am not "condemning" you for that.  However, that is not how you explained it, so that is why people are all over this.  You entire post was based on eloping somewhere. Eloping means you will take your vows. You also clearly said that you were having a big wedding back home. Well, there is your problem right there and that is what everyone is trying to explain: you cannot have two weddings.  You would have to divorce from the first one in order to have a second one. Get it? NOW, if you are eloping and THEN having an at home reception, THAT is different and perfectly fine. 

Feel free to go to WeddingBee where they validate bad ideas all day long.  I will certainly not be doing someone with such a foul attitude as yourself any "favors".  I will not delete your posts b/c I want other brides out there to actually learn something from this:  that you can elope and have an at home reception, but you cannot have 2 weddings....where you take your vows 2 times.  And in regards to your last comment, remember that you were the one who started calling people biitches, so there's that ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards