Honeymoon Discussions

Swimming in Cancun/Playa del carmen safe?

Hello,

We are looking at booking our honeymoon in Mexico - either at the Royal Playa del Carmen, or the Excellence Riviera Cancun, around July 14th for a week or so.  A friend of mine said we might not be able to swim in the ocean- that it can be very rough.  Do any of you know if this is true?

Thanks!

Re: Swimming in Cancun/Playa del carmen safe?

• I think that Mexico is rougher on the Cabo side. I know they have a designated area that you can swim in. If the water is rought I'm sure they will have it blocked off or just have safe areas for swimming.

I have also been looking at the Excellence resorts! Let me know if you book!
  • I have been to Cancun/RM several times and yes there are days when they red flag the beaches because of rough surf. I have also been there on days when the ocean is extremely calm with gentle rolling waves.  During my week's stay there was never a week when we could not swim at all.

Have you checked reviews on tripadvisor.com for the resorts to see if swimming is an issue?
  • Yup, I checked on tripadvisor.  I didn't see anything!
  • I am going to Excellence Riveria Cancun for our honeymoon in October. I was worried about this as well. I didn't see that much about it on tripadvisor but one thing that did make me chose this resort is the lazy river. I felt that if the water was too rough the lazy river would make up for it.
  • I was just in Playa Del Carmen in August, and the water was like bathwater-- both in temperature and in calmness! I'm sure it depends on the specific part, presence of rocks, etc. at the particular beach, but you should be fine! I think the water in Cancun/Playa is the most gorgeous water anywhere :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~~ BFP 5/9/12 EDD 1/18/13 ~~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sure you'll be safe! We were in Cancun last year and had a blast swimming in the waves on the beach in front of our hotel. I thought the waves were awesome, but of course FI thought they were wimpy.. haha. The last day we were there they had red flags out on the beach signalling that the waves were rough and to use caution if you were going to go into the water. So if you're concerned just be careful and be cautious if you notice the water is rough one day. HTH!
  • I was in playa/RM last month and the water was very rough, i.e. we couldnt do a lot of the water sports we wanted to, but it was very fun playing in the big waves that broke on the beach.
  • Also-check with your resort before booking that their beach will be open!!!!!!

The mexican govt shut our resort beach down 2 days into our stay for restoration, I guess hurricanes took the beaches out a few a years ago so they are slowly pushing the sand back out.  Would have been nice to know in advance!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards