Muslim Weddings

where are all the muslim brides?

Really, there has to be more of us out there....

Re: where are all the muslim brides?

• edited December 2011

Asalaam Alaikum :)
    I just joined today.... not engaged yet, but will be next month Insha Allah...
    I reverted to Islam this year from Catholicism and now will be planning a wedding so I am very excited!! Being that my wedding will be my first Muslim wedding, any tips or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!! I was also wondering.... I saw a video of a Muslim wedding where there was a ceremony with a procession etc... I am wondering if this is acceptable (i.e. if I would like my father to "walk me down the aisle")....

Thanks!!!
    Renee

• HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Renee,

Congrats in advance.  I too have seen a video of a muslim wedding where there was a procession and the father walked the bride down and she also had I guess groomsmen and bridesmaid walk in behind them.  I guess it just depends on how religious the family is.  I would say talk to your future FI and get a feel for what you can do.  Also, one of my cousin's wedding had the bride walk down the aisle with her oldest brother (father had passed away) and no one had a problem with it. 

Hope that helped. 

Hina
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out the South Asian board for more tips and information in general.
  • edited December 2011
    Salaam to both of you! I have also been wondering why this board isn't very active. I am actually doing a procession and having bridesmaids as well - I figure it's ok to borrow some things from other cultures. Good luck planning!
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad to see someone else here!  When are you getting married?
  • edited December 2011
    congrats ladies
  • edited December 2011
    Renee,

Salaam and congrats!! I believe you are engaged by now, i hope all is well iA.. as far as having your father "walk you down" goes, usually the Muslim ceremonies at the mosque are not like that - its done by the Imam and you are not seated with your father typically.. at the reception though, you could have your father walk you in.. its not typical of Arab culture to do so (we walk in with our husbands, after our parents) but it is typical of other cultures like Pakis (my friends all walked into the reception halls with their fathers).. so yea, noone is going to say anything either way - it's your day and you can do what you want more or less =) good luck!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Salaam alikeum
    I just joined earlier last weeek. Muslima for 2 years now pretty laid back and liberal muslima though. Alhumdilliah i will be getting married this year to a wonderful bengali man who is muslim as well. We are planning a traditional bengali wedding and possibly in bangladesh. Nice to meet other knotties-nesties who are muslim. :)
  • edited December 2011
    saalams to all...

because their are no "specific" rules to the cermony...a lot of things can b tricky, i've been t weddings where the bride was walked down the isle.. then the father went and set down and both the bride/groom were sitting in chairs....

i've been to oher weddings...were the were very secular...bridemaides/groommen....ect....and also very traditional were the bride was in one room with the women and the groom was in another room with the men....

i'm myself want bridemaids, but my FI is talking about 8...he ad 8 in his 1st marriage(he's divorced now) dont know if i want to deal with that many women...were both african-american...i'm sunni...he was raised with a father who is apart of the Nation of Islam, FI just started practing again...and is going to a sunni Masjid....
    Prophet Muhammad(pbuh)said:"Nikah(marriage)is my Sunnah. He/She who shuns my Sunnah is not of me.?
  • dia20dia20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Assalamoalaikum everyone!
    wow im glad to find Muslim brides here!! Im from Pakistan and m getting married in December. Does anybody have any ideas about keeping warm and still look stunning (and NOT FAT) in your wedding dress?? i also have height issues, im 5'8" and my fiance is 5'9"  woud it b okay if i wear balet flats on my wedding??
  • nessybarnessybar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think there aren't a lot of muslim brides on here because this site isn't very useful for muslim brides, lol!

There are some international traditions that The Knot doesn't begin to cover. It's all about Western, mostly Protestant, weddings. Maybe one day I'll make a site geared more towards ethnic weddings, lol.
  • edited December 2011
    salaams i too have wondered if any muslims join this site- it has a few things to help out with but other things i have pretty much figured out planning on my own with help from family-
    i have been engaged for almost  6 months and planning has been fun but just way too much to do- am in florida and am finding it hard to get good quality traditional outfits without going overseas to purchase it- any ideas?
    ameera
  • shawwal6shawwal6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can get walked down the aisle.  but like the other gal said, when we come in the reception hall it's with your hubby.

How am I doing it.  Well, we are having our reception at a hotel.  There is a big staircase.  My father will be walking me down the stairs where my groom will await me....and that is symbolizing him coming to my door to get me from my father...we will walk into the big hall together as a couple and sit on the throne!!!
  • edited December 2011
    im a muslim bride to be! I just got engaged in July alhamdulliah. I need to look for an arabic DJ, any ideas?

I also need a zaffa for when I walk into the room, plus some type of entertainment like those guys who twirl around in those colorful outfits.

I have seen this stuff back in egypt, but I believe its possible to find here.

I am egyptian, so having a koosha in the wedding is super important, is their a company or person that designs those?

Plus are there any places that do arabic wedding favors?

has anyone been to a muslim wedding with cocktail hour?
  • edited December 2011
    Heree :) <333 Salams! Happy to meet you all! 
  • edited December 2011
    u guys r international...i'm african-american...so there r  some traditional things i want to incorperate like possiably lighting a unity candle my mother is deceased and his grandfather is as well....but were still talking about that cause i dont want there to b and finta about we're prasing the dead....u know how some muslims can b...i was also thinking about having drummers and belly dancers during the cocktail hr...
    i want to b able to injoy everythig that i've been planning with min stress and drama...
    Prophet Muhammad(pbuh)said:"Nikah(marriage)is my Sunnah. He/She who shuns my Sunnah is not of me.?
  • edited February 2012
    Hi Ladies! I just took my Shahada a few months ago and will be married to a Saudi man in October (inshallah). What do you guys know about Saudi weddings? Anything? I'm just learning. We are having a ceremony in Indiana and one in Saudi (Riyadh probably). Shukran!!!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards