Snarky Brides

Cymbalta - thoughts/experiences?

2»

Re: Cymbalta - thoughts/experiences?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cymbalta-thoughtsexperiences?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d25a7b3c-fad5-4187-9a49-81c4e43b8620Post:5ae20d5b-deb7-46e3-aae3-d57e25cd76fa">Re: Cymbalta - thoughts/experiences?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have much to contribute here, but I just wanted to say thanks for this thread.  FI has been really concerned lately about his depression.  He was diagnosed a few years ago, but hates medicine.  I'm glad to hear there are quite a few people out there who are dealing with different things, and it's really nice to know it can be talked about "in the open." (even if we're just online strangers.) I think I need to encourage him to talk to someone again.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

I was the same way as your FI for a long time. I knew I had depression for years, but I didn't want to take drugs for the rest of my life. But after I finally gave in, I was so happy I did. I've felt so much better since I started taking medicine 5 years ago. And it takes a while for the medicine to work to its full effect, so if your FI does decide to try some, his doctor needs to make sure your FI knows that.

But, I realize medicine isn't for everyone and it affects everyone differently. This is the reason I don't normally like to share my "experience" with medicine--because everyone reacts differently to each type of medicine.
  • I take Effexor, for PMS and anxiety.  My Gyno put me on it after I had my hysterectomy since they felt I was to young to go on other meds.  I haven't had any problems with it and I know other people that have taken it.   I have also heard of others taking Cymbalta with no problems.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a 4th year psychiatry resident (will be an attending psychiatrist in two months).  My advice is unofficial, obviously.  Your risk of side effects is lowest if you start at a low dose (such as 30 or 40mg daily).  Side effects can present within the first couple days after starting the medication.  You might start feeling some benefits (improvement in physical pain, sleep, loss of interest, etc.) in 1-2 weeks, but the maximum effect usually occurs 4-6 weeks after you've been on a good dose (usually 60mg with Cymbalta).

With the wedding so close, if I were you, I'd want to start taking it ASAP to get the most benefits quickly, but again, you should start with a low dose and increase it to 60mg after about 5 days.  Of course, your doctor will have to guide you there.  Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Marrin, my mom is dealing with the rapidly declining health of her mother  (mom is in TX, her mom is in NC), and has felt "not right" for a while. She finally mentioned it to her doctor, and the doc asked if anyone in the family suffered from depression, since it can be familial. Her sister, my aunt, has is and is on Zoloft and it works well for her, and she mentioned my luck with it. The doctor told her that often times, a drug that works for multiple family members like that will work for another family member. She's doing well now at 100 mg (which is the same dose my aunt and I are on).

I took Prozac when I was first diagnosed. I maxed out at the highest dosage, and had bad experiences with it, so it is out (it made me manic).
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Hi!  I've been on cymbalta for over 2 years and I really love it.  I was on paxil before and cymbalta works best for me.  Downsides to it are the withdrawal symptoms.  Please don't ever forget a dose because its sooo horrible if you do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm very grateful to you all for sharing your experiences.  (Lharri12 - my doctor gave me one week of 30 to start and 3 weeks of 60s.)

My plan is to start on Saturday with the 30 mgs.  I need to concentrate too much at work so I don't want to be distracted by wondering if every perceived heart palp or random thought is a side effect.  Overthinking - - - - that's a huge problem of mine. <sigh />

Missy - mom was up to 100 right after my dad passed.  She's recently gone back down to 50.  I didn't know the familial side of things.  Interesting.
  • I applaud you for being strong enough to admit you aren't happy and I also applaud your willingness to do something about it.  I've been treated on and off for depression for over 10 years and was recently diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder.  I've been on several different medications, some made me a zombie, some did nothing and all of them made me gain weight, thus compounding my depression. 
    I think it might be a better idea to go to a therapist instead of going to the pharmacy.  Pills might make you feel better for a little while, but I think talking to a professional works better in the long run.  That's just my opinion and my journey.  I hope you find a path that works for you!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Final answer (I hope):  I will start this weekend.  Works well since it'll be a 3-day w/e anyway.

Sadie:  yes I am going to do therapy in conjunction with the pills.  Waiting for the referral.

You are all awesome.  Once again thanks!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cymbalta-thoughtsexperiences?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d25a7b3c-fad5-4187-9a49-81c4e43b8620Post:0057c00c-23f1-4ae9-a793-44de5f1a0f0a">Re: Cymbalta - thoughts/experiences?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm very grateful to you all for sharing your experiences.  (Lharri12 - my doctor gave me one week of 30 to start and 3 weeks of 60s.) My plan is to start on Saturday with the 30 mgs.  I need to concentrate too much at work so I don't want to be distracted by wondering if every perceived heart palp or random thought is a side effect.  Overthinking - - - - that's a huge problem of mine. <sigh /> Missy - mom was up to 100 right after my dad passed.  She's recently gone back down to 50.  I didn't know the familial side of things.  Interesting.
    Posted by Marrin713[/QUOTE]

Just to reiterate in case this happens.  When I started the 30 mg I felt great after a day or two but when it was time for the 60 I felt worse and that's when my doc told me to just stick with the 30.  If this happens to you (and I hope it doesn't) you may want to ask her about a lower dose.  Good luck Marrin!
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• notquite - oh believe me if I feel good on 30mgs, I'm going to ask to stay on it.  Don't want to mess with a good thing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cymbalta-thoughtsexperiences?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d25a7b3c-fad5-4187-9a49-81c4e43b8620Post:d48c563f-5d25-4036-9dba-0a5208893e37">Re: Cymbalta - thoughts/experiences?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cymbalta isn't my favorite med but I'm on it now since my insurance stopped covering Lexapro.  Anyway it takes a while to find the right medicine and adjust  and being so close to your wedding I would just see how it goes for a few days and then adjust if neccesary after the wedding.  FWIW I'm on a lower dose than what is clinically reccomended because the higher dose made me more anxious.  Good luck and tell your doctor everything you feel so they can help you find the right solution.
    Posted by notquiteblushing[/QUOTE]

Notquite - I was on Lexapro for several years, and then got new insurance that didn't cover anything.  I've tried many different meds until figuring out that Lexapro worked the best, so I was nervous to once again try something new. 

My Dr. suggested generic Celexa - (Citalopram).  He said it's very similar to Lexapro.  I've been on it for almost two years now and don't notice any differences.  The best part is - it's $4 at Wal-Mart, with or without insurance.

Just an FYI for you since I know everyone reacts differently to different meds.
  • Late to the party, but my mom recently went back on Cymbalta to help deal with her depression as well as fibromyalgia. She's on the 30mg, I believe...and it seems to help her with both issues. She has less pain and is on a bit more of an even keel emotionally.

Wishing you the best with whatever decision you make.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cymbalta-thoughtsexperiences?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d25a7b3c-fad5-4187-9a49-81c4e43b8620Post:5349f400-6dfd-405f-b81b-3318889b8b34">Re: Cymbalta - thoughts/experiences?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cymbalta - thoughts/experiences? : Notquite - I was on Lexapro for several years, and then got new insurance that didn't cover anything.  I've tried many different meds until figuring out that Lexapro worked the best, so I was nervous to once again try something new.  My Dr. suggested generic Celexa - (Citalopram).  He said it's very similar to Lexapro.  I've been on it for almost two years now and don't notice any differences.  The best part is - it's $4 at Wal-Mart, with or without insurance. Just an FYI for you since I know everyone reacts differently to different meds.
    Posted by jollcm18[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  I was switched to Celexa after they stopped covering Lexapro too.  I eventually went off it (and all meds) because I gained a lot of weight and thought that was the reason.  It may not have been the reason, who knows.  I've lost some of the weight, went on Cymbalta - which is okay - but I may adjust or stop altogether again soon.  It's such a process figuring out the best treatment.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cymbalta-thoughtsexperiences?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d25a7b3c-fad5-4187-9a49-81c4e43b8620Post:66a6ca0a-aef8-47f0-ab78-3e0852962e04">Re: Cymbalta - thoughts/experiences?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cymbalta - thoughts/experiences? : Thanks.  I was switched to Celexa after they stopped covering Lexapro too.  I eventually went off it (and all meds) because I gained a lot of weight and thought that was the reason.  It may not have been the reason, who knows.  I've lost some of the weight, went on Cymbalta - which is okay - but I may adjust or stop altogether again soon.  It's such a process figuring out the best treatment.
    Posted by notquiteblushing[/QUOTE]

I completely agree - I started with Lexapro, thought it was fantastic, and wanted to up my dose. My doctor said "ok" until I pointed out to her that my bloodpressure skyrocketed.  So, then she decided to take me off of Lexapro all together.  I then tried everything out there except Prozac. 

Everytime I went to the Dr. she added another pill.  It got to the point where she said "If this doesn't work, you need to see a psych because I can't prescribe anything else".

So, at that time, I decided to just go off everything.  A year later I started seeing a new Dr. who is wonderful.  He put me back on Lexapro, and I did not have any side effects.  My  blood pressure went up a little, but with diet and exercise, I was able to keep it under control.  It really is a journey trying to figure out what works best for you.

There are still times where I say "oh - I'm not sad anymore and I don't need to take these pills"  but it really is a matter of keeping me on an even keel.

Even though I don't have the major sadness anymore, I'm learning to accept that it is just a chemical imbalance, and there is a reason I have my prescription.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards