Ohio-Columbus

Vendor Reviews: Part 2 (Entertainment and The Look)

Entertainment: Michael Sutherland, Frank Sinatra Impersonator, B-

Can I just say ditto to what I wrote about PC Events?  He was really outstanding the day of our wedding.  We had him play during dinner before the DJ took over, and we received tons of compliments about him.  He was charismatic, sang beautifully, and made our special dances (first dance, father/daughter, etc.) really memorable.

But boy was he a pain leading up to the wedding!  There was about two months (after we paid a $500 deposit) that he was just MIA.  His website was down, his emails bounced back, and his phone was disconnected.  When we finally got ahold of him, his ego was just about too big to fit through the door.  It was pretty evident that he felt like his performance was the headlining act…not the wedding.  Luckily, my mom is a strong woman and expressed to him that the bride and groom were the main attraction, that he was to cooperate with the DJ, and that he was not allowed to drink (a past bride apparently had a little problem with this…), and he shaped up immediately.

Final verdict: He added a unique flare to our wedding that our guests loved, but be prepared for headaches if you book him.

Ceremony Musician: Kyle Ballantine A+!

Ok I am probably a little biased because he is my cousin, but Kyle is truly a beautiful organist and pianist.  He is obtaining his Master’s degree at the Cleveland Institute of Music and has an internship as a music director at a church up there so he doesn’t currently do a lot of work around Columbus—but he was just too fabulous not to mention.  We seriously had too many compliments about him to even count.  He made some great suggestions for the prelude, postlude, and mother/grandmother entrance songs and played my requests (Carol of the Bells for the Bridal Party and Canon in D for me) with such passion that it took my breath away during the rehearsal.

Final verdict: Book him if you are having a wedding in Northern Ohio!

DJ: Buckeye Entertainment, A-

I really love Byron and Mike.  They were easy to work with, great at communication, and just all-around good guys.  I was a little disappointed because our dance floor was basically bare for the first hour of our reception, but I don’t know if it would have been different with another DJ or not.  Our friends had to get good and liquored up before we could pry them away from the bar…

Final verdict: Great price and great guys

The Look

Dress and Veil: Universe Bridal at Unusual Junction A+

I had a great experience here, but I also wasn’t looking for a small boutique atmosphere.  If you are looking for a ton of personalized service (think Say Yes to the Dress), you will probably want to shop elsewhere.  I wanted to see dozens of dresses from dozens of designers at one place so it was worth my time to make the drive.  We got there as soon as it opened on a Sunday morning and had the shop to ourselves for the first hour or so.  However, by the time we left, the store was packed.  I would definitely recommend going during the week if possible.

Final verdict: go if you aren’t looking for a ton of personalized service and want to see gowns from numerous designers

Alterations: Cheryl Lynn Salyers A+!

I doubt anyone will make the 1.5 hour drive from Columbus to her house out in Blue Rock, Ohio, but you really should!  She. Is. Amazing.  She took my a-line dress and made it into a fit and flare, added a bustle, and took it in because I had lost weight all for $80!!  And she told me, “I have never come across a request that I didn’t know how to do,” so I definitely would recommend her for more challenging work too.

Final Verdict: Make the drive!  She is worth it!

Hair: Shannon Goode, A+

Best (non-pro) picture of the back of  my hair

Shannon did my hair, my four bridesmaids, and my MIL’s hair on the wedding day.  It was so nice to find someone who travels so I could just relax in the hotel room all morning.  She is fast, professional, and made me look fabulous!!  My hair was exactly as I envisioned it, which was great considering that I changed my mind between the trial and the wedding day.

Final Verdict: Book her!

Makeup: Alison Feamster, A+

I need to reapply my lipstick, but you get the idea.

I loved my makeup on my wedding day!!  It still looked like me, just an enhanced version on me.   I went with the airbrush foundation, and it really evened out my skin (I have a few freckles and a little bit of sun damage) without caking on a ton of makeup.  Plus she puts on individual fake eye lashes for an extra little pop.  Like Shannon, she traveled to my hotel room so I didn’t have to run all over Columbus for my beauty appointments.

Final Verdict: Book her!

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Vendor Reviews: Part 2 (Entertainment and The Look)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards