Wedding Etiquette Forum

Dress Code Wording on Invitation

We're planning a casual backyard wedding (outdoors, pig roast buffet), and I'm wondering what, if anything, to put on the invite about dress code. We're thinking appropriate outfits for this are casual dresses or sundresses for girls, dress pants or nice jeans and button-down shirts for guys. 

So should we say:
-Nothing, and assume people will use common sense or ask us directly.0
-Garden party casual or just garden party attire. Would this make sense to you?
-Casual wedding attire/dress.
-Informal wedding attire/dress.

Or something else? Ideas welcome...

Re: Dress Code Wording on Invitation

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dress-code-wording-on-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d125f696-453e-431c-afdb-5d3a08d8ceb2Post:9622b957-e391-42a5-9238-a299aed1e90b">Dress Code Wording on Invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're planning a casual backyard wedding (outdoors, pig roast buffet), and I'm wondering what, if anything, to put on the invite about dress code. We're thinking appropriate outfits for this are casual dresses or sundresses for girls, dress pants or nice jeans and button-down shirts for guys.  So should we say:<strong> -Nothing, and assume people will use common sense or ask us directly</strong>.0 -Garden party casual or just garden party attire. Would this make sense to you? -Casual wedding attire/dress. -Informal wedding attire/dress. Or something else? Ideas welcome...
    Posted by Yulinka91[/QUOTE]
    This. <div>The formality of your invite will reflect the formality of your wedding. </div><div>People will figure out what to wear.</div>
  • I would not say anything about how to dress
  • Ditto, no dictating, suggesting, or suggesting what the guests should be wearing unless approached.

Crash said it best
  • You just can't politely say ANYTHING about how to dress, unless it truly is 'black tie' or the venue requires it. Adults are entitled to dress themselves, no matter how atrociously. ; )

It will only reflect poorly on THEM, not you. 

• Is your wedding black tie? Does your venue have a strict dress code?

If the answer is no to those questions then you don't say a word. 
    Anniversary
  • Y I OughtaY I Oughta member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
     We did not say anything about the dress specifically, we just mentioned the wedding was casual and people figured it out for themselves that they didn't need to dress up.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Don't write anything. Time/location/invitation style will clue guests in. Your wedding sounds fun!
  • I agree, say nothing. Although, depending on how the invitation is, I have seen some indicate types of activities/things included. Like on an rsvp card I seen it had a pig on a spit and asked if they were OK with pork, or something like that I don't remember exactly. That and word of mouth will do fine. Most weddings I've gone to, people dres like that anyway lol unless black tie
  • I'd put "barbecue reception immediately following" for your reception info. that plus the location and actual look of the invitation will clue people in
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards