Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

do I really need a mini bride?

I have tried finding a little girl to be the mini bride at my wedding but couldn't find one. So eventually I gave up on finding one until my friend told me I can't have a mini groom walk down the aisle without a mini bride. is it true? Do I need to begin my quest to find a mini bride or I can stay without one?

Re: do I really need a mini bride?

• Mini bride???? Do you mean flower girl?

If so, no. You can have a ring bearer go it on his own. (also, what's a mini groom? as far as I know, only the people actually getting married are referred to as "bride" and "groom")
  • NEVER heard this terminology before.
  • I'm confused, what is a mini bride & mini groom?

The only thing I can think of is flower girl & ring bearer, but it is neither of their roles to walk the bride down the aisle...

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • NO!!!!!

Minibrides are creepy as hell.  Skip it.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I've only heard of mini brides in African American weddings (but I could be totally wrong).  They are creepy. Skip it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Good Lord, NO! If you mean a flower girl, same answer. You don't HAVE to have any children in your wedding party at all if you don't want to. 

Mini bride ... only heard that term in the 90s. Creeped me out then, too. 
  • It's usually referred to as junior bride. I've been to many weddings that had one. I say, either make the child a flower girl or a jr bridesmaid or a bridesmaid. Jr brides are just weird to me, like you're trying very hard to include everyone.
  • Don't know what this is...but you can certainly have a ring bearer without a flower girl. The children in your wedding party should mean something to you, just as your attendants do. Why would you be searching for a mini version of yourself? That in itself seems creepy.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ok to everyone who seems to be familiar with this mini bride idea... can someone please explain it? I've never heard of it and want to know what it is...
  • saacjwsaacjw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_do-i-really-need-a-mini-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:6fbfee9b-8398-46c5-99b6-68c5862cbca8Post:30fd500e-9315-43cd-9940-62f8a8479e28">Re: do I really need a mini bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok to everyone who seems to be familiar with this mini bride idea... can someone please explain it? I've never heard of it and want to know what it is...
    Posted by DeannaCW[/QUOTE]

<div>Seconded- I've never heard of it and now I'm just curious. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Is a mini bride a flower girl or am I missing something?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_do-i-really-need-a-mini-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:6fbfee9b-8398-46c5-99b6-68c5862cbca8Post:30fd500e-9315-43cd-9940-62f8a8479e28">Re: do I really need a mini bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok to everyone who seems to be familiar with this mini bride idea... can someone please explain it? I've never heard of it and want to know what it is...
    Posted by DeannaCW[/QUOTE]

It's basically a little girl dressed up exactly like the bride.  White dress, veil and all.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_do-i-really-need-a-mini-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:6fbfee9b-8398-46c5-99b6-68c5862cbca8Post:6213f780-1468-4166-bb9c-7659faadd895">Re: do I really need a mini bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: do I really need a mini bride? : It's basically a little girl dressed up exactly like the bride.  White dress, veil and all.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>This is my understanding of it. I've only ever seen one on "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" where a younger girl, usually about ten, is dressed in an exact replica of the bride's dress. So, it may be a cultural thing. </div><div>
    </div><div>If you don't have one (and I can see why a parent wouldn't want to shoulder that expense if they had to pay) then it's fine to have your ring-bearer or whatever go up alone. </div>
  • I've only seen it once on an episode of Four Weddings where the bride's daughter also wore a white dress and veil and walked down the aisle.  I found it, at best, strange and unnecessary and, at worst, kind of ignorant of the fact that there are actual child brides exploited on a daily basis in some parts of the world.....not cool. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_do-i-really-need-a-mini-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:6fbfee9b-8398-46c5-99b6-68c5862cbca8Post:9196838a-7ba1-4ec1-a458-9d677ef992ac">Re: do I really need a mini bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]NO!!!!! Minibrides are creepy as hell.  Skip it.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

This is why I refused to go all crazy in finding a flower girl dress for my goddaughter.  Those flower girl dresses in David's Bridal looked too much like bridal dresses to me, and it would have looked like she fell off the cake topper:-P  Instead, I found a really cute dress on macy's website - a white knee-length dress with lavendar embroidery.  She looked like a little girl...not a wayward cake topper.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_do-i-really-need-a-mini-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:6fbfee9b-8398-46c5-99b6-68c5862cbca8Post:11a1d967-7904-409a-b4c8-117cec3cf780">Re: do I really need a mini bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: do I really need a mini bride? : This is why I refused to go all crazy in finding a flower girl dress for my goddaughter.  Those flower girl dresses in David's Bridal looked too much like bridal dresses to me, and it would have looked like she fell off the cake topper:-P  Instead, I found a really cute dress on macy's website - a white knee-length dress with lavendar embroidery.  She looked like a little girl...not a wayward cake topper.
    Posted by mbrischoux[/QUOTE]

This is why my FG wore pink.

• rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_do-i-really-need-a-mini-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:6fbfee9b-8398-46c5-99b6-68c5862cbca8Post:0df11763-2494-4ca7-8d4b-9824f7bf2809">Re: do I really need a mini bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: do I really need a mini bride? : This is my understanding of it. I've only ever seen one on "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" where a younger girl, usually about ten, is dressed in an exact replica of the bride's dress. So, it may be a cultural thing.  If you don't have one (and I can see why a parent wouldn't want to shoulder that expense if they had to pay) then it's fine to have your ring-bearer or whatever go up alone. 
    Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]
    That's the only place I've ever seen it too. So weird! 
  • aro1589aro1589 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    my cousin had her daughter be her mini bride, and another little girl in the family be the flower girl.  mini bride wore white, FG wore a dress almost identical to the BM dresses.  I didn't think it was creepy then, but I haven't seen it done since then (1997) and might think it was weird now.  I think the veil is what makes it creepy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Ugh, I didn't even want my FGs to wear white (I told their parents to get them blue dresses to complement the BMs). Way to instill in a young girl that the most important thing she'll ever do in her life is get married and be a wife.
    Lizzie
  • We are having two flower girls and no ring bearers. FI has two four year old nieces, and we don't really have any young boys in our family.
    Also regarding attire... I found them some super cute flowy white hippie dresses at a department store for $35 that they can wear again, and go with the vibe of our wedding, too.
    It does not resemble a traditional flower girl dress at all.
  • perhaps googling the infamous "PixieMoon" will produce a photo of a mini bride ;)
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_do-i-really-need-a-mini-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:6fbfee9b-8398-46c5-99b6-68c5862cbca8Post:bbcd09bb-3195-46d2-b6cc-674b052df2a3">do I really need a mini bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have tried finding a little girl to be the mini bride at my wedding but couldn't find one. So eventually I gave up on finding one until my friend told me I can't have a mini groom walk down the aisle without a mini bride. is it true? Do I need to begin my quest to find a mini bride or I can stay without one?
    Posted by junwes[/QUOTE]

Go without one.
  • I was a miniature bride in my aunt's wedding. This was a long time ago but I never viewed it as creepy. My grandmother made my aunt's dress and mine, so they did look alike but the neckline on mine was higher. I had my hair up and a headpiece with just a little bit of tulle coming off of it. I think that's the title they gave me because I was the only little girl in my family (I was 6) and I had already been a flower girl in two weddings. I thought I was pretty darn cute.
  • That does sound kinda creepy... besides, if they walk down the aisle before you, then groom gets to see the dress before he ever sees you!! Seems to go against the whole not seeing the bride tradition if you do that...
  • When I was around 5 or 6 (this would have been around 1990) I was the flower girl in a wedding of a family friend. I believe my little sister (age 3ish) was a mini bride, and walked with a mini groom (and/or ring bearer), down the aisle I after I had dumped my basket of flowers and run up the aisle to my seat. I don't know the reason, or tradition, behind mini-brides and grooms. For the record, it was a protestant wedding, nothing fancy, Methodist I believe. In central Missouri.

Two years ago I was the MOH in my best friend's wedding and she had a mini bride and a flower girl (and ring bearer, no mini groom). I believe it was to include all of her child relatives in the wedding. The flower girl wore a version of the bridesmaids dresses, but silver and teal instead of the teal of our dresses. She was 5ish. It was very cute. The mini bride was creepy as heck in my opinion. She wore a dress VERY similar to the bride's and they had the same hair and a smaller bouquet...she was 10. This was another protestant wedding, the bride was raised Lutheran, not sure about the groom.

I don't have any relatives in what I consider the appropriate age bracket to be flower girls or ring bearers. The youngest person in the wedding party will be my fiance's daugher, who will be 11 by then, and she will be involved in our Blended Family ceremony.

I see no reason to freak out about having children in the ceremony at all. If you have a mini groom but no bride, don't worry about it. It's your wedding, do whatever makes you happy. :) Most peope will just oooh and ahhh over how cute the kids are all dressed up anyway.
  • LOL idk why but the term mini bride totally made me giggle. Obviously since most people seem to not have heard of this, it's unnecessary. Plus I think having anyone in your wedding should be someone who means something to you and if you have to go on a 'quest' to find one it's probably not a good idea.

And now I want to google pics of mini brides...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The google pics are ok.  They mostly look like flower girl dresses.  However walking down the aisle and standing next to the actual bride may be a different story...maybe because in my head I'm picturing them all done up like "Toddlers and Tiaras."  I agree with PPs, the term is unfamiliar and you certainly don't have to include one simply because you feel like you need one.
  • I'm not having either one. Kids are great but too unpredictable. I don't need a kid throwing a tantrum or taking a dump while I'm trying to walk down the aisle.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_do-i-really-need-a-mini-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:6fbfee9b-8398-46c5-99b6-68c5862cbca8Post:7fd570d4-8278-41b5-acf1-9b4322a31018">Re: do I really need a mini bride?</a>:

I'm African American and have been to lots of AA weddings. I have never heard of or seen this. Please don't blame this creepy idea on the AA community. It is not a black thing. Thank you!

[QUOTE]I've only heard of mini brides in African American weddings (but I could be totally wrong).  They are creepy. Skip it.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]
  • edited January 2013
    Creepy?? What the heck is creepy about a little girl dressed like a bride? It's adorable!! I've seen it at numerous weddings i've attended, and there's nothing remotely creepy about it, definitely not pedophilia!! It's just a cute little boy and girl, and they walk in before the bride. In many of the instances where there was a mini bride and groom, there was no flower girl or ring bearer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards