Jewish Weddings

Are You Serious???

So...I was just speaking with a co-worker who was asking me why our wedding was on a Sunday rather than a Saturday. When I explained that we're Jewish and we don't want to get married on Shabbat (read: sabbath) she looked me right in the eye and said, "What's Jewish?"

I didn't even know how to respond...

Re: Are You Serious???

• edited December 2011
    OMG... seriously? I'm not sure how I'd even respond.

Even if you were brought up in a 100% Christian or anyother religious community, I'm sure you've heard of the Jewish religion. Oy.
  • edited December 2011
    Haha, after I sat there with my mouth opened I suggested she Wikipedia it...

But I'm with you! I don't know anything about Zoroastrianism, for example, but I know it's a religion!
  • edited December 2011
    wow. 

im surprised she has never heard of judaism, too. wikipedia is probably a good place to start!

i know that i am a lot of my friends "1st jewish friend" but since i now live in utah, thats not totally surprising!

at any rate, is she religious? i wonder if her family is anti-religion and therefore tried to shelter her from the whole idea?

http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Umm, if she is Christian, who does she think all those people described in her Old Testament were?
  • edited December 2011
    She is religious, she's Catholic. But it also scares me that if you don't know what "Jewish" is do you know what "the holocaust" is? I mean...I didn't go to a Jewish high school and we still covered the holocaust when we spoke about World War II.
  • edited December 2011
    This amazes me. And frightens me as well.  

Did you see the articles (<- link) last week about that religion quiz that basically everyone failed?  It's unbelievable how unaware of their surroundings some people are.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow. That's mind-boggling. Like someone mentioned upthread, I've been someone's first Jewish friend more than once, but I've never in my life met someone who literally didn't know the word Jewish even if they didn't know anything specific about it. How is that possible?
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Wow, what rock has she been hiding under?  Surprised
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    wowww....
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mickeypottermickeypotter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was the first Jew any of my flatmates met in university in London
  • edited December 2011

that is horrific.  how did she respond after you told her to look it up?  this girl needs some sense slapped into her!

• needle&threadneedle&thread member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did she ask what 'oxygen' was? LOL

S and CJ
    S and CJ image imageWhen is my wedding
    Visit Purple.weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cream to my Coffee
  • edited December 2011
    Oh my...Even if she is catholic she should know that Jesus was a Jew......Her ignorance saddens me....
    South Florida July Siggy Challenge-Bouquet image . image image ................. Invited:120image Attending:121 image Declined:001image Not Yet Replied:0image RSVP Date: July 25th Ready to Roll!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards