North Carolina-Outer Banks

Has everyone got their wedding rings already?

We haven't and I'm not sure where to start. FI works on pools for his job so he needs a ring that will not break or bend easily. I kinda want a few more diamonds on my band but other than that, I'm not sure. Is anyone getting the setting style, where you engagement ring fits into the setting? I'm not sure if I like them or not. Also, does anyone know the deal about whether or not your supposed to wear your engagement ring on your wedding day? I've heard from my MOH that it's bad luck or something.
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Has everyone got their wedding rings already?

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My band came with my e-ring and I still need to go get FI's band.  He told me this weekend that he thinks he wants some diamons on his band, which is soooooooo not his style, only b/c he wanted to match my bling, lol.  He is such a goof ;)

He is an electrician and cannot wear his ring at work so he wants to get a tattoo on his ring finger so that I am always with him.  Now I have no idea if he was serious or not but we shall see, lol.  He will wear his band once he gets home, just not at work for safety reasons.  I think you are supposed to wear your e-ring on your right hand until after the ceremony, then you switch it over.

Here is a link with more info:

http://weddings.weddingchannel.com/wedding-planning-ideas/wedding-etiquette/qa/should-i-wear-my-engagement-ring-down-the-aisle-or-should-my-fiance-place-it-back-on-my-hand.aspx?MsdVisit=1

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OBX,
    Sounds like our FI's have a lot in common. Mine works on pools, I assumed he would want something sturdy and plain- but he told me he wants bling too! So funny.

Where did you get them? I don't want to get ripped off by a chain store....
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My gf works at Kay's and gave us a really good deal that we couldn't pass up....well at least he couldnt' b/c I really don't know what he paid for my ring, lol.  I would just look around for some good deals and go from there.

Where did you get the e-ring from?  Do you not want to go through them for the bands?

• mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI got his ring this weekend.  What a surprise because he's so non-jewelry.  It fit too, so we didn't even need to order it.  I would have liked a few small diamonds, or small black diamonds in a groove, but he wasn't feeling it.  I already had mine.  Got a deal on a 2 row eternity band when the jewelry store closed out (I was a former jeweler). 

Personally, I think the band and the engagement ring should complement each other, but they are separate thoughts.  That way the band can work as a stand alone ring and not look odd if you aren't wearing both pieces.  There are times when you're traveling or doing something physical wear you may not want to wear the e-ring, but still feel married.  Also, some people don't like when there's space between the rings.  It doesn't bother me.  They're separate events in life and don't necessarily need to be pasted together.  That's my experience with helping lots of couples pick out rings.  That being said, it depends on the design of your e-ring and your style.  Some rings have limitations on what you can pair with it because it doesn't have a flat enough line to follow or they are very ornate.

Like OBX said, and for easier logistics, switch your engagement ring over to the right hand.  Then your ring finger on your left hand is ready for the band.  You don't want to be funbling swtiching around rings at that time.  I'm sure your officiant will probably guide you through this too.
  • edited December 2011

We bought ours in December.  His came in right away and mine... well, we're still waiting. :)  It came in wrong and now the correct one is MIA.  My ering has 3 stones down each side of the band so the wedding band has the same size stones, but 7 of them to make it line up.

FI thought he wanted diamonds and then couldn't find anything he really liked.  He ended up falling in love with a Tacori (ouch! $).  I'll kill him if anything happens to it. ;)  He's mentioned getting a cheap "backup" band for work.

We bought from local jewelry stores because we got the best prices there, though I'm not sure we'll go back to mine with all the trouble we've had over my wedding bamd.

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, and I plan to wear my ering on my left hand and just put the wedding band on top.  I'll switch them over after the ceremony.

My friend has a wrap for her ring as her wedding band, but she always has to wear them together now.  I kind of like having the option to wear my band separately when I don't want to mess with the center stone bumping into stuff.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I've already gotten my band since it is plain and simple and was easy to find.  He, on the other hand, is super picky about his ring and has travelled to four or five different stores to find *the one.*   ;)  I'm starting to get a little nervous though given that our wedding is in two months!!!
  • edited December 2011
    We've looked at a couple of local jewelry stores, but haven't bought anything yet.  One of the jewelers suggested either soldering the rings together or modifying the shape of the e-ring, as they won't sit together w/o a gap due to the e-ring shape...  I'm very hesitant to have them soldered, so that has kept me from making a final decision.  Of course we need to get on that as we're only 2 months out from the big day!

[Andee, I think we're both getting married on July 1st! It's kind of fun to see someone else on the board with same date!]
  • princesskmpprincesskmp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI bought my e-ring and and enhancer at the same time because I never wanted a traditional solitaire (but he wanted me to have one) and he figured having the enhancer would give me the "1 ring look" I wanted in a wedding set.  However, we have since purchased my wedding band because his version of the 1 ring look doesn't give me the married look.  So now I will be able to wear the band alone or all of the rings together and they work well together.  One jeweler suggested soldering to me as well and I just did not want to lose the flexibility I currently have.  The FI on the other hand has tried on dozens of rings and has seen 1 that "may work".  I have not hit panic mode yet, but will in the next few months if he cannot make up his mind. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards