Military Brides

Thanksgiving Eve!

Are you all in school/work today?  What are your plans for this glorious long weekend?

In honor of the holiday, a Thanksgiving poll:

1.  How do you like your turkey cooked?

2.  What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish?

3.  Pumpkin pie or apple pie?

4.  What Thanksgiving food can you live without?

5.  Do you have any family traditions for Thanksgiving?

Anniversary

Re: Thanksgiving Eve!

• edited December 2011
    I'm at work today and we are busy.  You wouldn't think it was Thanksgiving Eve.  Not much of a long weekend for me.  I have to work here Black Friday even though our office isn't open.

1.  How do you like your turkey cooked? Done?  I have no idea.  I'm not typically allowed in the kitchen.  People fear I'll screw things up.  All I know is that it tastes delicious, and I love the dark meat.

2.  What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish?  Stuffing.  My mother's stuffing to be more specific.  Mashed potatoes take a close second.

3.  Pumpkin pie or apple pie? Pumpkin.  With coolwhip.

4.  What Thanksgiving food can you live without? Sweet potatoes.

5.  Do you have any family traditions for Thanksgiving? My family doesn't.  FI's family always does Thanksgiving the Sunday before.  I don't know if that qualifies as a "tradition".  They also have the kids in the family decorate the Christmas tree on Thanksgiving.  It's always fun to see the tree after they are done.  The entire bottom of the tree has ornaments (ten on a branch mainly) but the top is bare because none of them can reach.
    Photobucket
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in work until 1pm, then going to get my teeth whitened and to see the doctor for a check-up on my Shingles (which are almost all gone, thank goodness!).  We're staying home this Thanksgiving.  Our air conditioner is currently broken, which is bad as it's 85 degrees so our house is quite warm.  I'm afraid cooking Thanksgiving will overheat our home, but it's okay since we'll just hang out outside with the puppy while the turkey cooks if it gets too hot inside!  We're going over to our friends' house for dessert so our puppy can play with their dogs!

1.  How do you like your turkey cooked?  With parchment paper so the juices stay in but the skin gets nice and crispy.  I use lots of butter, garlic, sage, and stuff the cavity with oranges and apples.  I only eat white meat.

2.  What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish? Mashed potatoes has historically always been my favorite.  Specifically this Thanksgiving, I'm looking forward to FI's cranberry sauce.

3.  Pumpkin pie or apple pie? I refuse to choose!  I made both, even though it's just the two of us.  If I had to pick which one to eat first, probably apple, but pumpkin pie is just soooo "Thanksgiving-y"

4.  What Thanksgiving food can you live without?  Sweet potatoes.  Just doesn't do anything for me as a  side dish.

We like to go around the table before the meal and say what we're thankful for this year.  We watch the Macy's Day parade in the morning, and football all afternoon!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I am working of course (insert annoyed pissed off voice). We are leaving tonight after FI gets out of work (any time between 6 and 2am) for Kentucky - a long 10 hour drive. Only to return sunday. Pretty pointless if you ask me, but whatever. I would of much rather had Thanksgiving here.

1.  How do you like your turkey cooked? FRIED. I love a good fried turkey.

2.  What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish? Potatoes! I love potatoes, I must have mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes.

3.  Pumpkin pie or apple pie? Both, but I've been wanting some apple pie lately.

4.  What Thanksgiving food can you live without? Cranberry sauce. Uck.

5.  Do you have any family traditions for Thanksgiving? Usually lounging around in PJs all day, watching the Macy's day parade and cooking with my mom, then after dinner planning our black friday trip. FI's family doesn't seem to watch the parade hardly, which makes me sad.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do not have work today, so I am at home doing laundry and dishes, then making a pecan pie and a pumpkin pie! Still unsure of what we're actually doing for Thanksgiving. 1.  How do you like your turkey cooked? Umm...however my family has been making it? Haha! But I will eat light or dark. 2.  What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish? Either loaded mashed potatoes (chives, bacon, corn, garlic, butter, sour cream), or sweet potatoes 3.  Pumpkin pie or apple pie? Neither. Pecan pie! (My mom's recipe is the best, and I plan on making it again this year) 4.  What Thanksgiving food can you live without? Stuffing 5.  Do you have any family traditions for Thanksgiving? Nah, just be together. Well, my parents are divorced so I guess "my" tradition was alternating years at my mom's and dad's haha! But I haven't been with my family for Thanksgiving since 2008.
  • edited December 2011

Had school until 10! Now at work and get out two hours early, so at 2:30.(:

Uhm..? I'm not exactly sure...However my Aunt makes it!
    haha

Stuffing!!

Pumpkin.<3

Sweet potatos!

We always go to my aunt and uncles house, everyone is there by 4 and we eat by 4:30 then we hang out until way after 12 and noone gets a good night sleep but then is up on friday to go shopping!

• edited December 2011

Ok so I am taking a break from this stupid paper.  I welcome this little poll!  J

1. How do you like your turkey cooked? I like mine in roasted in the oven or deep fried.  This year since it is just my mom and I we are doing a turkey roast in the crock pot. 

2.  What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish? Broccoli and cream cheese casserole

3.  Pumpkin pie or apple pie?  Neither, this southern girl wants pecan pie all of the way!

4.  What Thanksgiving food can you live without? cranberry sauce

5.  Do you have any family traditions for Thanksgiving?  We watch football all day and put up the tree as soon as the kitchen is cleaned. 

• freebread03freebread03 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I've been visiting my parents since Friday and enjoying the great Arizona weather (sorry for those of you stuck on the east coast--I hear it's been nasty!)  I've been trying to stay offline and not do too much work--FI gets irritated when we're on vacation and I'm working (understandably), but stuff has to get done!  Hoping to get 2-3 good hours of work in today before seeing some friends later this evening.  FI is on another bike ride with my dad (they did a 111-mile race together on Saturday!)

1.  How do you like your turkey cooked? Roasted in the oven, with nice crisp and golden skin.

2.  What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish?  Probably stuffing with cranberry sauce on top.  I put cranberry sauce on EVERYTHING (maybe that should be my favorite...)

3.  Pumpkin pie or apple pie? Not a huge pie person...but I do like apple.

4.  What Thanksgiving food can you live without? Green beans.  My mom makes them every year, and is always trying new recipes.  I could do a Thanksgiving without them.

5.  Do you have any family traditions for Thanksgiving? Now that my brother and I are both out of the house (and he usually goes to his girlfriend's parents' house in Virginia), we usually celebrate with family friends at their house.  I eat too much and then fall asleep on their couch with their french bulldog.
  • edited December 2011
    Mornin' ladies! I am at work until noon, with no voice! And, so far, I am the only one that showed up for half day! LOL it's gonna be a very unproductive day. Anyway, on to the questions...

Anyway, really. Last year we wrapped ours in a lot of bacon! LOL! It would have been better if we would have deep fried it, but whatevs.

Twice baked potatoes

Pumpkin!!!

We HAVE to have the potatoes and we HAVE to have the rolls that have bacon and cheese on them.

The tradition at my house is I do all the cooking with my moms help. Everyone seems to like the way I just create recipes! I make a lot of things up as I go along, and when everyone asks "whats in this?" I always responds with "IDK" or "I forgot"!
    edited December 2011
    YUM-Twice-baked potatoes sound AWESOME--I think and hope and am crossing my fingers that we have them at our friends' house tomorrow!
  • edited December 2011
    1.  How do you like your turkey cooked? We bag it. I have had turkey manydifferent ways and nothing has been juicier than the oven bag. 

Ham? hah. I'm actually not much of a Turkey person.. But for actual side definitely mashed potatos and gravy. 

Pumpkin pie. all the way! made mine from scratch last weekend and it turned out sooo well! I don't think I'm ever buying the canned pumpkin again. Especially since the 100% pure canned pumpkin isn't actually pumpkin. heads up!
    This is the pie before being baked :] 

Cranberry sauce. I just don't get it. And we don't do yams or sweet potatoes but I don't like either. 

The Christmas stuff comes out right after dinner. We watch football and pop in a couple old Christmas movies to start up the season. yessssss. 
  • divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm cooking Thanksgiving for FI and two of his buddies who can't get home for the holiday, so it's been pretty fun so far. I'm making dressing (I had a huge conversation about how we do not call it "stuffing" here. That's a damn Yankee word:) )for the first time, I'm just hoping it doesn't suck. I'll probably do a little shopping this weekend, I want to finish the present that I need to get in the mail.

1.  How do you like your turkey cooked? My family always does ham and turkey, and I've never been a big turkey fan. It always gets so dry to me. This year, we are roasting a Turducken, so I'm pretty pumped, and feel like this might counteract the dryness.
    2.  What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish? Potato casserole. Grated potatoes, cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, onions, put in a casserole dish and topped by even more cheese then baked til bubbly. Delicious. I also am a sucker for green bean casserole.
    3.  Pumpkin pie or apple pie? My family has a hardcore allegiance to cake. The only pies we make are my grandmother makes sweet potato pie, which is delicious. I have that I'm missing my Mom's family Thanksgiving, because there will be at least 3 kinds of cake (most likely caramel, coconut and probably some sort of chocolate). I'm making an angel food cake with whipped cream chocolate icing, it's super simple, but looks nice and is delicious.
    4.  What Thanksgiving food can you live without? It's a tie (and it looks like I'm not alone here) sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. We bought a sweet potato casserole from the store where we got the Turducken because I told FI that I wasn't going to mess with it unless he wanted. I am making Cal's FI's cranberry jelly because the boys wanted something cranberry, so maybe this will change my mind.
    5.  Do you have any family traditions for Thanksgiving? The one constant is that Thanksgiving and Christmas are the two days of the year that my Mom or Dad actually cooks a full breakfast. We would do sausage balls and cinnamon rolls and bacon and eggs and biscuits. The rest of the year, it's cereal and granola bars, but that's something I remember about the holidays that I'm trying to do this year.

• edited December 2011
    Yes I am working today, all day long. Unfortunately FI won't be able to come home for the holiday's, but plans for the rest of the week and weekend - Tomorrow I have Thanksgiving with my family at my parent's house. FI's parents are no longer together, so Friday I have to work all day and then dinner at his mom's, and then Saturday I have to make the 3 hour drive down do his dad's for dinner with that side of the family.

1.  How do you like your turkey cooked? I love my dad's deep fried or smoked turkey the best. Juicy on the inside, crispy on the outside. I like the light meat.

2.  What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish? Stuffing. Hands down. Turkey covered in gravy is a close second.

3.  Pumpkin pie or apple pie? Definitely pumpkin.

4.  What Thanksgiving food can you live without? Cranberry sauce.

5.  Do you have any family traditions for Thanksgiving? Normally we go around the table and say what we're thankful for. The past few years the weather has been pretty decent (for Minnesota weather) so we've made it a tradition to go outside and get a family game of football going if we have the relatives over.
  • edited December 2011
    aaaaahh I live in a hipster state and have never had fried turkey but have heard amazing things about it. 
    I love fried... I want to try thiiiiiiis!!
  • melbelle24melbelle24 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you all in school/work today?  What are your plans for this glorious long weekend? I am in school/work today. It's cancer clinic, and I'm hoping they'll take pity on us poor students and let us leave early. I've already had 3 of the docs ask why we even have to work today. Haha In honor of the holiday, a Thanksgiving poll: 1.  How do you like your turkey cooked? Deep-fried turkey! 2.  What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish? My Aunt's chicken & dumplings, or mashed potatoes and gravy 3.  Pumpkin pie or apple pie? I have to agree with crown on this one... Pecan pie! Yum! 4.  What Thanksgiving food can you live without? Stuffing/dressing, whatever you want to call it. I've never been a fan. 5.  Do you have any family traditions for Thanksgiving? Not really... Watching the parade, going to family dinner sometimes... Thanksgiving is the one holiday that isn't such a big deal for my family. I think it's the "in-law" time for most of them.
  • divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_thanksgiving-eve?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:196ec90d-2693-456d-88ce-d6a366f14f56Post:6de84a69-662e-4f8e-a736-04ef92c4213a">Re: Thanksgiving Eve!</a>:
    [QUOTE]aaaaahh I live in a hipster state and have never had fried turkey but have heard amazing things about it.  I love fried... I want to try thiiiiiiis!!
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

Just remember if you ever DIY it: Make sure to place your fryer away from any buildings, especially if you have snow or icicles. And make sure the turkey is <em>completely </em>thawed. Ice + bubbling hot peanut oil = disaster. I have seen it happen.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_thanksgiving-eve?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:196ec90d-2693-456d-88ce-d6a366f14f56Post:732fcaa5-b37a-4d82-8a8d-47ff1bee8b9f">Re: Thanksgiving Eve!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanksgiving Eve! : Just remember if you ever DIY it: Make sure to place your fryer away from any buildings, especially if you have snow or icicles. And make sure the turkey is completely thawed. Ice + bubbling hot peanut oil = disaster. I have seen it happen.
    Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't think I would ever do it myself, honestly. I don't have the patience to fry things..My personal health-nut guilt wouldn't allow me to haha... I have a small fryer that I still haven't used and it's been a year. </div>
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So much hate for the cranberry sauce! I would like to stick up for the cranberry sauce and let you all know that I LOVE it! And I mean the kind you slip out of a can and slice, without chunks. Mmm mmm!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_thanksgiving-eve?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:196ec90d-2693-456d-88ce-d6a366f14f56Post:93fe6538-6c1b-407c-8be0-66b0a5eed560">Re: Thanksgiving Eve!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So much hate for the cranberry sauce! I would like to stick up for the cranberry sauce and let you all know that I LOVE it! And I mean the kind you slip out of a can and slice, without chunks. Mmm mmm!
    Posted by BinxRose[/QUOTE]

I love it too, Binx! LOL!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_thanksgiving-eve?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:196ec90d-2693-456d-88ce-d6a366f14f56Post:aa873b6d-4af9-4cbd-8dc6-3bdedf6e9e33">Re: Thanksgiving Eve!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanksgiving Eve! : I love it too, Binx! LOL!
    Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE]

Hooray! :-D
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_thanksgiving-eve?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:196ec90d-2693-456d-88ce-d6a366f14f56Post:93fe6538-6c1b-407c-8be0-66b0a5eed560">Re: Thanksgiving Eve!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So much hate for the cranberry sauce! I would like to stick up for the cranberry sauce and let you all know that I LOVE it! And I mean the kind you slip out of a can and slice, without chunks. Mmm mmm!

<div>I make it homemade.. It's not that I don't like it, I just don't like fruit with my heavy stuff. It just doesn't "fit" for my palette. I LOOOOOOVE cranberries. I do NOT love them on my turkey. Now Cranberry sauce in my champagne I can jump on board with :P bahaha</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I thought about putting cranberry sauce as my "could live without" but to be honest I'm not really sure I've ever had it.  I love cranberries though so perhaps if it's offered tomorrow I will partake.  That way I can choose a side to this debate. haha :)
    Photobucket
    edited December 2011
    Omg spiffy you must try some! But you liking it may depend on what kind it is. I make from scratch (it's just water, sugar, and cranberries really). But I do like the jelly kind from a can on sandwiches- much more portable.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mmmm I have two pumpkin pies in the oven right now, and a pecan pie ready to go on next! I'm not sure if I'll be able to wait til tomorrow to dig into the pecan pie!
  • tyleet87tyleet87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am at work today. Can't afford to take any time off because of the time I need to use for our HM in June. Hoping to see if I can actually get Christmas gifts for my immediate Fam but I got paid today and my check was half the size it usually was because of the time off I took to go see FI graduate OCS. :/ And it's 90% gone already. I could really use some Black Friday deals but I am terrified of the crowd and don't really feel like waiting in line all night anywhere.

I'm not sure, I like turkey no matter what and I never cook it so I'm a little clueless.

Deviled eggs and Mashed potatoes! Hoping to make both because I don't trust anyone else to make it nearly as good as mine. haha

Apple. I tried several times to like pumpkin-anything but I just can't.

Cranberries and yams. Yuck.

Yes, pig out and talk over coffee for couple hours and then pig out some more! It's wonderful!
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Are you all in school/work today?  What are your plans for this glorious long weekend? I'm done with school for the week, and done with work for the week, so I'm just going to han g with family this weekend. 

1.  How do you like your turkey cooked? I like mine roasted and I prefer the white meat (mainly the breast- I actually like chicken better than turkey)

2.  What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish? I prefer sweet potatoes- I don't like them with marshmellows. 

3.  Pumpkin pie or apple pie? Apple pie if I had to choose

4.  What Thanksgiving food can you live without? Green bean casserol (yuck!)

5.  Do you have any family traditions for Thanksgiving  Nope, none. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Silly question: Are sweet potatoes the same thing as yams?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't think so, but I looked it up. Nope, not the same. Here is what I found: http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookvegetables/a/sweetpotatodiff.htm
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_thanksgiving-eve?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:196ec90d-2693-456d-88ce-d6a366f14f56Post:6c50ac7e-b16a-4711-bb02-46a1c74d4ba1">Re: Thanksgiving Eve!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't think so, but I looked it up. Nope, not the same. Here is what I found: <a href="http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookvegetables/a/sweetpotatodiff.htm" rel='nofollow'>http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookvegetables/a/sweetpotatodiff.htm</a>

Thanks! I was curious because I know I hate yams and I tried sweet potato the other week and loved it! Glad to know they are different. I will continue hating just yams. :)
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yams and sweet potatoes are fairly interchangable in recipes, though.  They're technically different things, but have similar flavors.  I prefer sweet potatoes.

I like cranberry sauce from the can, but it used to be my "can live without" dish.  Now with FI's recipe, which is orange juice/zest, water, sugar, and cranberries, I looooove it!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I like homemade cranberry sauce (again like Binx I think- just water, sugar, cranberries). I think the differnces between Sewwt Potatoe and Yam has been mentioned soo I'll jut go with that. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards