Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Hors D'ouvres Only Reception

My fiance and I are getting married on December 1st of this year.  Our reception is planned for 3pm to 8pm.  We would like to have finger foods served from 4 to 7.  Can anyone recommend a good (and reasonably priced) caterer for this type of reception in the South Jersey area (zip code 08086)?  Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

~Chris~

Re: Hors D'ouvres Only Reception

• I would post this on your local New Jersey board, which is...
    <----------------------thataway.

I'd also plan to have enough finger foods to make up a full meal, or you're going to risk people leaving early to go get dinner.  I'd be expecting a meal if the reception lasted until 8. 
  • Ditto PP.  This is meal time, and if you did not have enough food to fill me up for dinner, I would probably be leaving around 6 to go get something to eat.  You can certainly have enough hors d'oeurves to substitute for a meal, but this can often be as expensive (or more expensive) than serving a plated meal or buffet meal.
  • You need to post on your local boards.  

But for the food issue?  If you only want to have hors d'ouvres then change the wedding time to earlier or later.  The time you have now is one that a full meal would be required at.  If I showed up for your wedding and it was only hors d'ouvres?  I'd leave when I got hungry and go get dinner.  I mean if you're having enough hors d'ouvres to constitute a meal then fine, but if you aren't doing that then you need to change something around.  Serve a meal or change the time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Your going to need a whole lot of finger foods to subsitute for dinner.   If your looking to save money, a plated dinner is going to be cheaper.
  • Ditto the others. This is dinner time. A full meal would be best and easier. You could always look into doing a buffet if you didn't want a plated meal.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • An alternative to a buffet or plated meal could be stations, depending on your venue.  I've seen shrimp-and-grits stations, mashed potatoes, sliders, or even made-to-order pasta, sushi, or pizzas.  It would of course depend on your venue, but it could make your hors d'ouvers reception a little more substantial.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • We're doing an hors d'oeuvre reception, but ours is starting after lunch and will be over before dinner. Since you are going to be running into dinner time, I would say you should think very carefully about this. By 6-7 pm, people are going to want more substantial food than just finger foods, especially if they've been celebrating all day. You don't want your guests to be hungry. It doesn't have to be something like prime rib, but maybe you could consider pasta or sandwiches.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Try Mimi's Fusion of Flavors talk to Mimi tell them I send you, they are great!
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_hors-douvres-only-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:1aae85fd-ae6d-46a9-9536-48cb57f70ce7Post:391822f5-7d10-4690-b510-626dbd81f6d1">Hors D'ouvres Only Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are getting married on December 1st of this year.  Our reception is planned for 3pm to 8pm.  We would like to have finger foods served from 4 to 7.  Can anyone recommend a good (and reasonably priced) caterer for this type of reception in the South Jersey area (zip code 08086)?  Any suggestions would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance!! ~Chris~
    Posted by MrsBaldwin2012[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards