Wedding Etiquette Forum

Talk to me people...Night Thread

1111213141517»

Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread

• Mica Ethiopian food next week? I have never had it, and I am pretty sure it's very vegan friendly!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Back.  I called my mom to try to skype with her, but my dad took the laptop with the webcam, so we just talked on the phone.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:acd471d6-9088-422e-a55a-3be9b3648554">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : I never ate Ethiopian food in DC or crab in Maryland so maybe I have this problem too. I'm pretty sure that where I live now is not known for anything food-wise. ETA: <strong>Unless you ask my H. He thinks Tallahassee is world renowned for Guthrie's chicken fingers.</strong>
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]

Haha!  What's this Guthrie's place?  Have you had Cane's? After my crappy day today, H suggested we get some.  I ate every last bite, including an extra Cane's sauce. So gross but so good. Calories don't count tonight.
    imageAnniversary
  • If you're okay with coming to Tampa, I will totally get Ethiopian food with you, Nicki.  I doubt there's Ethiopian food in Bradenton.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:d68237f9-e443-4053-817f-b95cc8d05c21">Re:Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lynda, I don't like mushrooms, local or otherwise. I did go to a Mushroom Festival once though. My friends and I called it Shroom Fest 2003.
    Posted by angelstar975[/QUOTE]

Shroom Fest !!!   Been there, although it's been a while.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:05af6f48-326c-4064-ab30-b030881107a6">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : Haha!  What's this Guthrie's place?  Have you had Cane's? After my crappy day today, H suggested we get some.  I ate every last bite, including an extra Cane's sauce. So gross but so good. Calories don't count tonight.
    Posted by tracym77[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Canes is awesome...I miss Canes...</div><div>
    </div><div>Did you have fun at the Zydeco Fest?</div>
  • StefffiCStefffiC member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012

Vent/Confession/Whatever - I hate my job right now. I'm really overwhelmed. I'm also personally overwhelmed because we're moving next month and I've got a lot of stuff going on that I don't have time for.

I applied for a promotion I'm well qualified for and was turned down because they can't promote anyone else out of our department until we hire more people in our department. Well, tonight an email came out that they promoted a new hire from my department (4 months with the company) to the position I applied for.

Whatever positive attitude and morale I had just left. The money is decent with the OT I work, and we plan for me to keep this job until next May, if not longer. I love my boss. This is temporary, I'm usually happy at work. I don't know at what point it's no longer temporary and it's time to consider leaving. I've looked at jobs and I've interviewed a bit closer to home and had offers, but nothing that compares to the money I make working in a corporate job. Most of the jobs I've looked at are going back to insurance sales for independent agencies.

My cohort and I are both having severe panic attacks this week at work. We both have panic attacks, but this week and last week have been worse than usual. I've cried at work, I'm taking anxiety meds to make it through the day. This isn't good.

Vent over/hope I didn't kill the thread.

• In Response to Re:Talk to me people...Night Thread:[QUOTE]If you're okay with coming to Tampa, I will totally get Ethiopian food with you, Nicki. nbsp;I doubt there's Ethiopian food in Bradenton. Posted by mica178[/QUOTE] How far of a drive is it? We won't have a car of our own, but use of my ILs. But I would be so down!
  • Stefffi...do you have a Series 7 or just your insurance license?  Also, what type of insurance background do you have?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:884c021b-168d-4bb4-91cb-d8bc2cdd2c31">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : Canes is awesome...I miss Canes... Did you have fun at the Zydeco Fest?
    Posted by Lizzieyounce[/QUOTE]

We didn't want to be on the road during the crazy thunderstorms so we skipped it.  Luckily, the band we were going for, Lost Bayou Ramblers, was also playing at a club around 11 pm. That was tons of fun; danced our booties off the entire time. And I'm not a dancer!
    imageAnniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:47b44a0e-13b5-4c48-a044-71d533bae2f3">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stefffi...do you have a Series 7 or just your insurance license?  Also, what type of insurance background do you have?

Property and Casualty only, partway through my CIC. Have lots of billing, underwriting, procedure, and analyst experience from the company side.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:17395806-6b7d-40b4-bf8d-263f3068ce46">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : We didn't want to be on the road during the crazy thunderstorms so we skipped it.  Luckily, the band we were going for, Lost Bayou Ramblers, was also playing at a club around 11 pm. That was tons of fun; danced our booties off the entire time. And I'm not a dancer!
    Posted by tracym77[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>I heard that y'all got some rain...I'm glad you managed to have fun!  I've never heard of the band, but if you ever have the chance to see The Bucktown Allstars, I highly recommend them. My cousin is lead guitarist, but even if he weren't I'd still rec. them.

</div>
  • Tampa and Bradenton are about 45 minutes apart.  

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:cc9d2194-202e-43ec-b85d-3ab93e77d398">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : Property and Casualty only, partway through my CIC. Have lots of billing, underwriting, procedure, and analyst experience from the company side.
    Posted by StefffiC[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Keep that resume updated, then. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding something.  </div><div>
    </div><div>You may want to look into branching off into annuities, etc if you get the chance...I worked for years as a resistered sales assistant and the salary is nice, plus most advisors participate in commission sharing.  The 7 is a PITA to study for and it's a challenge, but not any moreso than your insurance license.</div>
  • Lizzie, I'll check them out!
    imageAnniversary
  • Ok awesome. Not sure what our family has planned for us yet, but if you can be flexible, I think we will be too! Any other late night Floridians want to eat? And probably consume wine?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:287929ac-c6dc-4d77-afc8-f368ea52c4d3">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : Keep that resume updated, then. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding something.   You may want to look into branching off into annuities, etc if you get the chance...I worked for years as a resistered sales assistant and the salary is nice, plus most advisors participate in commission sharing.  The 7 is a PITA to study for and it's a challenge, but not any moreso than your insurance license.

I shouldn't have a problem finding something. I've found two positions through word of mouth and had two interviews and two job offers, neither one were even in the ballpark of what I make now.

However, they were both 36 - 40 hours a week and a lot less stress, that's got to be worth something. I love my current boss and I enjoy most of my job, but I really miss having time for my family, friends, and hobbies. I don't know that I'm dedicated enough to continue what I'm doing now long term.
  • Hi everyone! I haven't read the thread, so I'll go back and catch up.

Just had an earthquake here, first one I've felt since I moved back to CA a year and a half ago.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:4765098f-4804-4bfe-b69b-3e455a35706c">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : I shouldn't have a problem finding something. I've found two positions through word of mouth and had two interviews and two job offers, neither one were even in the ballpark of what I make now. However, they were both 36 - 40 hours a week and<strong> a lot less stress, that's got to be worth something.</strong> I love my current boss and I enjoy most of my job, but I really miss having time for my family, friends, and hobbies. <strong>I don't know that I'm dedicated enough to continue what I'm doing now long term.</strong>
    Posted by StefffiC[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Less stress <em>is</em> worth something.  As for the dedication, if your'e stressed at your current job, then this is likely contributing to the not feeling dedicated.  I went through a similar period, then I found my former employers...they were awesome, and we are like family now, even though I've been a SAHM/student for a couple of years now.  I've temped for them on occasions, even.  If you are this unhappy where you are, then find someolace where you will be...but don't rush. Take you time and look, then if something comes along that your gut tells you is right, then listen to your gut.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:bc20000a-7391-40ac-be58-271e306259c6">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone! I haven't read the thread, so I'll go back and catch up. Just had an earthquake here, first one I've felt since I moved back to CA a year and a half ago.
    Posted by sarabear23[/QUOTE]

My brother just texted me about this and my FB is starting to blow up.
    imageAnniversary
  • Haha Tracy, so is mine. It was in Yorba Linda I guess, and I felt it pretty good here. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:310a7c23-2993-4158-a916-7783bc14efb0">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : Less stress is worth something.  As for the dedication, if your'e stressed at your current job, then this is likely contributing to the not feeling dedicated.  I went through a similar period, then I found my former employers...they were awesome, and we are like family now, even though I've been a SAHM/student for a couple of years now.  I've temped for them on occasions, even.  If you are this unhappy where you are, then find someolace where you will be...but don't rush. Take you time and look, then if something comes along that your gut tells you is right, then listen to your gut.

I don't want to make any brash decisions because I'm sure things can be worse!

My cohort at work - we're part of a 'team' of 18, but the two of us share a lot of responsibilities and do different work than the rest of our team - won't take time off for her children when they're sick, she hasn't had a day off in two years. We both take laptops on vacation and work. Her marriage is struggling, as are several other people that we work closely with. My husband is dealing with it because it's temporary, he's on the road, we're getting things paid off, but I don't want to do this long term - that's what I mean about dedication.

But, I don't know that the expectations would be any different at any other corporate job because I've only worked for small local businesses and spent a year as a dock worker in a distribution center - which is a different ball park.

I am getting out of packing and moving our house, so maybe the job is good for something? LOL

I've been struggling with this for a while and praying because I don't feel like where I am is where I'm supposed to be. But, I also don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm trying to be quiet and just let a door open up for me, but patience isn't my stong suit, and since nothing has opened up I wonder if it's a sign to just be happy where I am and make the best of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards