Ohio-Cincinnati

Blocking Hotel Rooms

Did everyone block hotel rooms off for the wedding? Our wedding is in Oxford (near Miami) in late August, so I am thinking it would be a good idea to block off some rooms since their might be a lot more parents visiting, etc... during that time.

How many rooms did you block and what was your guest count? We are inviting 150 people- should I just look at my list and count how many are from out of town and go from there?

Thanks for any tips!

Re: Blocking Hotel Rooms

• edited December 2011
    You should definitely block rooms because you often get a cheaper rate that way and hotels often give you bonuses for choosing their hotel (like we get one free night at the hotel for every 25 nights that are booked, a bottle of champagen and chocolate strawberries on our wedding night, etc).

I estimated the maximum number of people who could possible come from out of town and want to stay in a hotel.  My hotel didn't penalize if all of the rooms that were blocked weren't booked.  So far, we've booked up a lot of them.

The hardest part I found was figuring out how many doubles (2 double beds), singles (1 queen) and suites to book per night.  I didn't have a good system, but it seems to be working out.

Good luck!
  • GoBucksOHGoBucksOH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are inviting about 170 people to our wedding and we blocked off 15 rooms. People have up until one month before the wedding to book a room at a discounted rate. We also get free use of a shuttle back and forth from the hotel to the reception if 10 rooms get booked.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    We have 140 people coming and there have been 40 rooms reserved. Figure out how many people are coming from out of town and go from there.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I would definitely get rooms reserved especially since you are having it up at Miami.  I went to school there and it was always impossible to get rooms at hotels when my parents wanted to visit.  We had to reserve the rooms way in advance.  I would book them just to make sure that everyone can find somewhere to stay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tergitergi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might also consider that some guests who live in cincy might still want to get a room. We only live 25 minutes away, and would still consider staying overnight, just so we didn't have to drive those roads on the way home.  I would block now as Miami goes back to school mid to late August.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards