Wedding Etiquette Forum

Honeymoon drama-lama

2»

Re: Honeymoon drama-lama

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_honeymoon-drama-lama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec890910-1e1a-4015-b0a5-d1e84a0b51e0Post:c0728920-048e-44f9-bbce-ad26af704a6b">Re: Honeymoon drama-lama</a>:
    [QUOTE]PS Uncle & wife are trying  to mend relationship and we are obliging so far so good- I dont actually have anything against them, I just dont want them on our Honeymoon.
    Posted by schlagetermari[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I get that, but as you cannot do anything to change their travel plans, do yourself a favor, and stop stressing over it.

Hello....Is this thing on?.....::tap tap tap::
  • I agree and appreciate all the suggestions. Like I said, i know there was no real solution, I think I just really needed to vent.

I really appreciate everything everyone has said. It is helpful to see other (worse) situations and suck it up.
  • I would also call the resort and request that your room is completely separate from your relatives.  Nothing would ruin the honeymoon more than having them right next door...
  • If it were me, I'd probably fabricate a story about how you got offered some amazing deal at another resort (my cousin won $500 toward a honeymoon at a bridal show, but it was for a certain resort, so that's where they went) that you just don't want to turn down - thus, you've gotta switch your plans! 
  • I agree with P.P. if you have had a non-existant relationship in the past, I can't imagine they will be tripping over themselves to hang out with you. Don't forget they are going to this couple's resort for a reason too, and I am 99.9% sure it wasn't to spend more time with you and your soon to be hubby. Just keep your room number private, I am sure you won't run into them a lot if you are like typical honeymooners and spend most of your time in the room any way : p
  • Thanks ladies. Sometimes it just helps to hear it from someone else! Happy Wednesday to all!
  • I don't think you're wrong. I'd be feeling the same way and wishing I could look to change the location or something. I don't think you're wrong in your feelings. *hugs* Best wishes. Just try to avoid them at all costs is what I wish I could say, but that thought alone may make your honeymoon less enjoyable for the two of you. Perhaps on the night you arrive, you could see if your room is near them. If so, you could ask to have a different room or some such.

Best wishes, I know this must be stressful,
    Heather
  • I don't think there is anything wrong with being totally blunt if you see them at the resort.  "Hey!  Are you guys having a good time?  We love this resort.  Oh, dinner?  Listen, hubby and I are really trying to get a lot of alone time during our honeymoon, so we'd rather not hang out during the trip.  I'm sure you understand, having family on your honeymoon is a little weird."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've seen some really good responses:
    • Tell the hotel to not give out your room number
    • Have the hotel place you in a room as far away from them as possible..and the best one...
    • Switch to another Sandals resort if you can
    You may be able to change your HM to a different resort and if you're really that concerned about it, I suggest looking into that pronto.

Our HM will be in Europe (Rome, Paris & London). The FI has a "brother" that lives in London. We purposefully planned for London to be the last part of the trip for this reason.  Even though we haven't seen him in years, we're not interested in spending our honeymoon with family and if we go to London first, there will be expectations of us getting together often...not happening. However, seeing the brother and his family for a day is not that big of a deal especially since it'll be during the last part of the trip.

NO ONE wants to spend their HM with family members - or so I would think - so you're not unreasonable for wishing they were somewhere else. If you've no choice but to stay at the hotel, I would make it PERFECTLY clear beforehand that you are not to be disturbed and that you'll seek THEM out if you want to spend time together.

Good Luck!
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Visit seattle.Weddings.com
    Our soulmate is the one who makes life come to life. - Richard Bach
  • I don't think you're being unreasonable. You only get one honeymoon. If it makes you feel any better when my fiance and I told his mother and brother where we were talking about going, his brother decided they were going to save up money and join us. Fortunately I have time to plan around those crazy people. I am sorry that you are stuck. Good Luck!!
  • The place is so big that you  may not even run into them anyways,i wouldnt worry about it,you do not have to hang out with them if you do not want to.
    When i was on my honeymoon a friend of the Hubby's from work and his family were on the same Cruise as us,we saw them a few times and said hi and chatted for a few but they knew we wanted alone time so they left us alone.

• Situation sucks, but I think it'll be alright. This is your time (as their vacation is their time) and I'm sure go once for drinks or such and thats it. There is no reason you need to feel like its a family reunion - and if they think it is, explain you want your privacy (if that doesnt work, I'd get graffic about why you need your privacy, bedroom time)
    You'll be left alone one way or another  :)
    Anniversary
  • @lawraji... you're awesome... this board is so mean! and SM, no worries... people suck.
    YEARS*MONTHS*WEEKS*DAYS*HOURS*MINUTES*SECONDS The time flies by so quickly when he's by my side. Counting the time as it passes until my forever begins.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards