Chit Chat

Invite street address spellings.

We're going to spell out the various attributes of street addresses but is, for example, NE 78th St properly spelled out as Northeast 78th Street or North East 78th Street?

Married in Vegas - June 2011

Re: Invite street address spellings.

• Oops, meant this for Etiquette but it ended up here... maybe someone can move it, or I'll just wait so I dont cross post lol.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• I am a big proponent of using the USPS standardized address format, which includes abbreviations. Using too many words pisses off the postal people and they eat your invites. True story. Also, they HATE it when you have calligraphy that goes all over the front of the whole damned envelope, as it takes longer to sort. I say don't tempt the postal gods. Addresses are utilitarian things, and making them fancy is not worth the effort, IMHO. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I've always heard that single-digit numbers are written out, but once you cross into double-digits, you can use the actual number.

I would say use NE 78th Street (where the only word you spell out is "street") but I could be wrong.  If you spell out NE, it would be Northeast, because that is the directional term... but again I could be wrong.  The ladies on E are really good at this stuff. 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_invite-street-address-spellings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:2409b77a-5bfa-420d-89f1-f5cff5991708Post:adf72320-636d-4c59-8ff8-37ec29bf9b10">Re: Invite street address spellings.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've always heard that single-digit numbers are written out, but once you cross into double-digits, you can use the actual number. I would say use NE 78th Street (where the only word you spell out is "street") but I could be wrong.<strong>  If you spell out NE, it would be Northeast, because that is the directional term...</strong> but again I could be wrong.  The ladies on E are really good at this stuff. 
    Posted by kellya01[/QUOTE]

Agree.  If it's for the section of the town/city, then Northeast.  But ... if it's part of the street name itself, it might be North East.  As another PP mentioned, you may want to default to USPS on this one.  Good luck!
  • I don't know the answer to the question, what I do know is I'm high as fu*k.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards