Hawaii

Photography Advice: Add an extra hour?

Hey Ladies. I've arranged for 8hrs of coverage with my photographer, but after going over a timeline with her, we realized that it may not cover everything!

She's starting at 11:30am to snap some "getting ready" shots and, as a result, will be missing the bouquet toss and reception dancing that will happen around 7:45/8pm. I really don't care to have "partying shots" but I would like some pics of the bouquet toss. Should I add an extra $400/hr onto the already-pricey investment just to cover an extra 30mins? My family is Japanese, so I'm sure everyone will have a camera :) but should I rely on them to snap these shots? Ah!

Re: Photography Advice: Add an extra hour?

• sld0618sld0618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you move the toss up so that it's right before she leaves?  I think 400 is a lot just for getting a toss in:(
  • edited December 2011
    If you absolutely want photos of those moments, either pay her to stay, or be very sure someone in your family is a *skilled* photographer.  It's not enough to have a camera -- you need to be able to set up & control flash to actually catch the moment at that time of night.

The rate of $400 for an add-on hour is ridiculous.  Did she actually quote you that price?  If not, ask her what her policy is for real-time, day-of extensions.  Many vendors will go 15-30 min over without charge, and then about $50-150 per hour to extend beyond that.  I think you have room to negotiate that price.
  • fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto - $400 seems like a lot...  Maybe she's just very eager to get home?  lol  :)  I think it depends on how important the bouquet toss is to you...  It might be worthwhile to move things around, so the key "events" you want your photog to catch will fall within the 8-hour timeframe.  I've been to a few weddings where those 'events' have been moved around (i.e. bouquet toss after grand entrance) and I didn't think it was weird.  As Tanq said, I've also found that most photogs don't mind staying an extra 15-30 minutes for free, but it really depends on how 'generous' they are.

• maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Could you maybe have her start at noon instead? I'm sure she wouldn't mind staying a few minutes later to ensure you get all of your shots.  J. :-)
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with pps. If those photos are really important to you, try rearranging the schedule a little to get those shots. I don't think there are rules about the order of things.

Plus, when I was a single guest, I would MUCH rather get that out of the way first so i didn't have to dread it the rest of the night.
  • Michiko1983Michiko1983 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Heehee, I'm getting the impression that the bouquet toss causes a lot of anxiety. All great feedback, gals, thank you so much! I'm rolling around some of your ideas in my head and think that maybe just rearranging some of the events may be best. Alternatively, I've also read that some brides cut out the bouquet toss altogether and instead present the bouquet to a special family member or friend. Has anyone does this? It sounds sweet and would definitely keep my single guests from feeling any sort of dread during my wedding!
  • edited December 2011
    I had exact same problem.

I talked to our photographers (husband and wife team), and they've agreed to take a un-paid break during dinner time, and we are treating them for dinner of course.

Since there isn't much for them to do during dinner time anyway, this worked out great for us. And I am so glad our photographer suggested this. I was totally going to pay him to take a break, but maybe at a reduced rate, but he said he would do it for free! Even better :D
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We aren't doing a bouquet toss, simply because my MOH and the kids would be the only women who would go to catch it.  My MOH is in a serious relationship too, maybe I will give her my bouquet, as a 'you're next!' type of thing.  Maybe her BF will get the hint!!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

I would try to rearrange the times so you can get the shot :) Also, many photographers come a little early and leave a little late.  If you tell her you really really want a particular shot, chances are she'll stay the extra 15 minutes or so to get it for you, even if their time is up.  I know my photographer, when shooting for other weddings, stayed a little later.

• edited December 2011
    I could see $100 for the extra hour but $400?  WOW that's a little nutty
  • destiny1108destiny1108 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    11:30am seems early, we didn't start our getting ready pictures until 1:30pm with the "last touches" of hair and make-up, dress hanging, etc.   We did 1:30pm-8:30pm (7 hours) by using recommendations from our WC that kept program moving, but not rushed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards