Wedding Party

Interesting Article

Dear Prudence wrote an essay about brides who think it's "My Day" and "My Day Only."  Read it.  And see if this is REALLY the kind of person you want to be.

Courtesy of megk8oz
"I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.

Re: Interesting Article

• If I weren't marrying FI, I think Prudie would be the next on my list.  She's amazing.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • This may be the saddest line in the whole article: Is there anything more revealing than the phrase—uttered with a stamping of the foot and a rising of the voice—"my day"? Of course it's not "our day," because the groom is merely an accessory, like a cake topper.

It is right there that the whole point of the day begins to be watered down.  And things only go from there with bridesmaids dresses, colors, themes, visions...

Thanks for posting this, Brooke.
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2010
    I especially like the last line of the article: "I'd contend that the most egregious brides engage in a sort of prenuptial stotting, signaling to the groom: 'You can go ahead and marry me, but observe my behavior now and don't ever say I didn't warn you that I'm a lunatic.'"  I've always held this to be true.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Love this:

[QUOTE]There is something positive in this wedding mania: It provides a warning system, like one seen on the African savannah. When approached by lions, certain gazelles engage in a strange practice called "stotting." Instead of running away, they jump stiffly in place. Animal behaviorists interpret this as a signal from the gazelle to the lion that means, "I am so fast that if you chase me, you won't catch me, so chasing me will be a waste of your time." I'd contend that the most egregious brides engage in a sort of prenuptial stotting, signaling to the groom: "You can go ahead and marry me, but observe my behavior now and don't ever say I didn't warn you that I'm a lunatic."[/QUOTE]
  • I love the last part!  I know that it's mostly fake, but when I used to watch bridezillas, I used to always wonder how those marriages would end up.  

I also love that she attacks honeymoon/cash registries.  Awesome.
  • Oh, thank you Brooke, it was nice to see somebody talking sense ... you know, besides us wonderful ladies.

I mean, I totally threw down the "my day" card on the actual day ... but that was because my sister was pretty much refusing to get dressed, so I think it was ok. And aside from that moment, I never called it "my day".

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • This is very wonderful.  banana-can it be a sticky for a while? 

Kudos brooke, for finding and posting that.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • OMG my post is a sticky!!!
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Sticky for a few days!
  • Thanks banana!
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Great post!
    It's kinda funny because (gasp) I haven't really done a whole lot of detailing for our wedding. FI has booked the location with our travel agent, his sister bought the stuff for our invitations, His mom is helping us pick stuff for our welcome bags, etc. Not that our wedding is gonna be all detailed anyway. Anyways, his grandma is always telling me "do what you want, it's YOUR DAY!!" It's like, all I want to do is marry your grandson. I think that's a pretty good detail.
    It's reassuring to know that it's okay that I'm not being a nutjob since I'm hearing how I'm supposed to be one all the time. Those are the people who (if they had the sense to even post here) ask a question and freak out because it's not the "right" answer (i.e. you are so totally right for making your balding GM wear a toupee!).
    This article reminds me of this episode of whose wedding is it anyway where along the hallway to the reception there were professional photos of the bride in her dress. And that's it. Not ONE of the groom. Hmm... we know what this day is all about.
    That also goes for people who have entire bride shaped cakes. WTF?
    Good find on the article Brooke!
    Night swimming in the ocean= pretty sweet reception!
  • Thanks Brooke! I think this needs to be a sticky on all the boards!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • This sounds very familiar:

[quote]The bride's equivalent of, "Drop and give me 40, maggot!" is to whine, <strong>"You aren't there for me" </strong>[see also: my day]. [/quote]
  • Holy crap, Brooke got a sticky post!
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • I started laughing as I was reading. I am a HUGE proponent of not 'my day' but rather 'our day', with the ceremony being for us and the reception for our guests. Of course I want it to be nice, but no one but myself will notice that the cocktail table clothes don't match the reception ones. 

This whole idea is exaggerated by the wedding industry. I have heard "it's your day, after all" from vendors more than I care to count. It makes me angry every single time. When did a sacred ceremony turn into a money-grubbing pretty pretty princess day?
  • I am almost tempted to add this as an attachment in emails with my vendors (although that would be a horribly ironic nasty woman thing to do). It is not MY day, it is May 29, 2011, the same day will come again year after year and lots of other people get married then too! 

I especially can't stand how people will use the "but its your day!" right in front of my fiance! I hate making decisions and without his input we might not have booked anything yet, so would someone kindly recognize that there is in fact the groom (not cake topper), and he is my equal counterpart!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh, wow. Excellent article! I agree with nboulanger, my FI is just as much part of that day as I am, it's OUR day. I'm actually not even getting too involved in the whole thing, my FI and are both in the military and both deployed right now, so Mom and MOH are taking care of the big stuff. We just simply say what we like and what our expectations are (since w'ere areally laid back couple) it isn't much!  And I would hope that my nearest and dearest would tell me if I was acting like a lunatic.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards