Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Traditional Beach Question

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. We are both Catholic and we both want a beach wedding. Most preists won't perform beach weddings. I was wondering if there were any alternatives or ideas incorporating a beach wedding with a Catholic presence.

Re: Traditional Beach Question

• You could check out Rent A Priest, which is a referral service for Catholic priests who have married.  They could do a ceremony for you that would follow the Catholic traditions.  However, if you are serious about your Catholicism, you should be aware that at least in most situations, a wedding outside of the church will not be recognized by the Catholic church.
  • Assuming you genuinely want a Catholic wedding recognized by the Church:

I would look to incorporate the beach into your reception and perhaps some other details. If you are going to have a wedding in the Catholic Church, you are going to be very limited in making it "beachy." Flowers, dresses, paper -- those can reflect the beach. The ceremony (whether you have a mass or just the ceremony) is going to be like a mass with wedding vows (albeit your mass, and you have some autonomy in choosing readings and the like), and little to no room for the secular -- even God's beach creation. This is a sacrament, after all.

Can you have your reception by the beach? Take engagement pictures on the beach? Do a photos after or a TTD session on the beach? You may even be able to find a chruch/chapel closer to the beach than your home parish. There are lots of options for incorporating the beach into the wedding day -- just not a Catholic wedding itself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards