Just Engaged and Proposals

Long engagement

I am so very excited. I just got engaged last week. My boyfriend proposed to me on a beach in Costa Rica and made all my dreams come true. For me this is a 2nd wedding, for him it is a 1st. Right now we live 75 miles apart. Due to the economy and our jobs and a few other factors, we are unable to move in together. Plus I would like to save money for the wedding for a while. So this wedding is still a few years away. Is anyone else planning a far off wedding? We are thinking about 3-5 years. But I am so excited I want to start planning... Any ideas on what I can do now to satisfy that craving???

Thanks
Cat
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Long engagement

• I have been engaged 2 1/2 years and am not getting married for another 474 days (thank you knot counter).
    financially and maturity time is on our side!  GL!
    Ever think you'd feel this way?
  • By the wedding, we will have been engaged for 21 months. Our wedding is turning out to be very very different from what I envisioned in the very beginning, so I would be careful about putting money on anything. However, it is never too early to start looking for ideas and thinking about what you want. I have saved thousands of dollars on our wedding because I have had time to research all the best deals and was able to book some of our key vendors early and get their 2009 prices. It has been a long wait, but at this point I am not wanting time to hurry up! I still have a lot that I want to get done before crunch time.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • We were engaged December 2009 and are getting married June 2012. 822 days to go!!! When we get married it will have been about a 2 1/2 year engagement.

So, while our engagement won't be as long as yours, I am definitely having the planning crave. I am trying to wait until about a year away from the wedding to start planning. In the meantime, I suggest looking at bridal magazines, maybe putting together (and/or buying) a wedding planner/organizer. You can find some at Barnes and Noble. Or you can make one yourself. It's basically a binder with tabs to sort all the information. You can print out articles, pictures, and ideas from websites to add in there too.

The crave will pass though. It has been three months since we got engaged and, while I still want to start planning, it's not as bad as a few months ago. Good luck!
  • Thank god. I felt like the only one. My fiancé and I just got engaged a little more then a week ago (1 week one day and 10 hours ago) but our date (for now ) is Oct 26 2010. He's leaving for the Air Force and i guess i don't have much of a choice. We figured by the end of his 2 years of service we will be able to afford/ have the time to become many and wife. lol. But I've obviously been bitten by the planning bug, I'm here ;-) It's alright, as long as it is just planning- no investing yet.  Good luck beautiful brides :-D
  • I've been engaged since October 17, 2008 and we aren't getting married til May 7, 2011. I think it's best to take your time and not rush into things. We just started saving for our wedding, plus we aren't doing a big wedding. Thankfully just having the wedding at our church.
    Affordable Photography for all www.yundtphotography.com located in the Salisbury/Concord/Charlotte Area!
  • There is nothing wrong with a long engagement!! My FI proposed in May 09, and we're not getting married until October 11, so I will be engaged a month shy of 2 1/2 years. I don't wanna rush it, ya know? I have gotten bit by the planning bug a little, but I haven't set anything in stone yet (who says I won't change my mind in over a year!) But planning without really planning will be nice, because when I finally go to get it all finalized, I will already know what I want, and it should be easy!!

Congrats on your engagement!!
  • I just got engaged and am planning for a 2013 wedding, so I totally understand where you're coming from. ^_^ I know I'll appreciate a long engagement in the end.

I obviously haven't done any concrete planning but I definitely have let myself look, bookmark things I like, etc.  It's hard fo rme now since I'm on Spring Break, so I'm easily swayed to look at "wedding things"...but once school starts next week, I'll probably be less tempted. :)
  • I'm on the final stretch of a 2 year engagement (the date is June 19th, 2010). It has gone really fast and really slow in some ways. My initial plans and ideas about the wedding have changed DRASTICALLY since we got engaged. Honestly, I'd wait until at least a year out before any big decisions are made. Although, we booked our wedding/reception site right away, and now 2 years later, the price for it has doubled! So for that, I was very glad we decided on our venue right away. With the inflation in prices since then and the venue becoming more popular, we got a steal of a deal! So, just a thought, if you guys are certain about what you want, it can end up saving you lots of money!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards