Not Engaged Yet

Help with dress shopping please?

I am going to a charity movie screening next Thursday that has the following dress code: Bond Style Tuxedo, Sharp Suit, Evening Dress. So I'm guessing I need a full-length gown if the guys are in tuxes?

I love this Carlos Miele dress and this Adriana Papell. I would prefer less than $100, but could stretch to $150 if it was amazing. If the Adriana Papell was in my size in the Nordstrom sale I would buy it, but I can't find it in a 4 anywhere.

Do you think these are appropriate/any suggestions?

Re: Help with dress shopping please?

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2012
    Use rent the runway.

Edit: and yes, it sounds like you should be in a floor length dress.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks Kat. The Carlos Miele dress I can only find on rent the runway, and if I don't find anything by the weekend I will order that one I think. Have you had a good experience with them?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_help-with-dress-shopping-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:1f417cc1-b1c7-436c-88d8-97d8aaf11fb9Post:aa56e7e9-a501-495e-9260-f91efbc86b50">Re: Help with dress shopping please?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Use rent the runway. Edit: and yes, it sounds like you should be in a floor length dress.
    Posted by KatWAG[/QUOTE]

I just went on Rent the Runway website it looks like it's closed due to Hurricane Sandy.

Fizzy-is there a particular color you prefer?  I'm on the Nordstrom website and there are some nice evening gowns for under $150. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Blues, silvers, and blacks would be preferable. I'm have a look on Nordstrom now. I looked last night but must have missed the "dresses under $150" section as I thought they were all very expensive.
  • You can narrow down your search parameters to certain price points, styles, etc... can you tell if love shopping?  LOL.  Especially online shopping!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • This sounds like a rockin' party - can I go?
  • Yes I have used RTR and I love them. I have nothing but great experiences with them. One 1-2 occasions I have picked a dress that either didn't fit right or just looked weird on my body type. They customer service is top notch and they also overnighted me another dress.  Last year I went to 8 weddings and this year I have been to 4. So I use them a lot.

(it didn't occur to me that the office would be closed by to Hurricane Sandy)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • buddysmom80buddysmom80 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, I just saw it on their website :(

Fizzy-here's the dresses on Nordstrom under $150

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-dresses-under-150?origin=leftnav

Also, no joke, I bought an evening dress for a Chrismas party on HSN.  It was a few years ago, I don't know what they have now, I'll check it out in a few for you. 

ETA-nevermind HSN their stuff is ummm, idk I'm not feeling it for a formal formal event.

ETA X 2-I just went on rent the runway again and it looks like they're open but there may not be a lot of stylists to answer questions over the phone.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Jas - it's a charity screening of Skyfall, so it's all James Bond themed. It's going to be fun!

Kat - I love a couple of dresses I've seen on RtR but $150 to rent a dress is making me cringe. If I can't get one by this weekend I will get one of their Carlos Miele dresses that makes me drool!

Thanks a lot buddysmom. I found a gorgeous one on nordstrom that's reasonable but it's not in my size :(

I just ran to Saks Outlet on my lunch and tried on a really cute dress, but I think I want something more colorful...I'll go back after work.

• What about this one?

This one is really pretty. I like the back a lot. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Thanks Drew! That first one is lovely. I think that might be the one!!

The second one I agree the back in stunning. Though I'm not keen on halternecks the color is amazing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards