Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Gluten Free for the Bride please?...Austin, TX

I am recently engaged :D and even though we're planning a long engagement I thought I'd dip my toes in and browse around. I am allergic to gluten so I thought I'd start with food and cake. Does anyone know or know of local vendors that will accomidate a GF menu or dish specialties for 5ppl? And does anyone know of a bakery offering GF options?

Thanks,

jen

Re: Gluten Free for the Bride please?...Austin, TX

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations on your engagement!  Try posting on your local board (on the left).  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know of any specifically, but I just googled it and it returned quite a few things. You're just going to have to call around and see, GF is gaining popularity - good luck finding one in this area, psh, but Austin seems to have *everything* so I imagine you wont have a hard time finding food at least, cake might be a little trickier.

Best of luck in finding it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you'll have trouble with the actual meal. Roast/broiled anything can easily be made gluten-free. Also salads. Just serve potatoes instead of rolls. Tell the caterer about your allergy. Get it in the contract that all dishes will be gluten-free. But I think your wedding will be easier than a usual dinner out at a restaurant because the kitchen won't be cooking anything with gluten, so there's not the usual cross-contamination worries.

[Or maybe put bread on the tables instead of in the buffet. My mother is allergic to wheat, but we want special bread at our reception, so we think we'll put it on the tables so it can't be cross-contaminated in the buffet. The parents' table won't get bread. You might be more sensitive and need a completely gluten-free room, though.]

brides.com was featuring a rice krispie wedding cake last week. Might not be your style, but it's worked for Mom's birthday cakes.
  • Options
    jennilapjennilap member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks so much for the feed back - i really appreciate it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards