Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

TY Question

Only 4 days after the wedding, and I'm writing my last thank you!

Since DH started college last Thursday, he's a little overwhelmed and I'm writing all of our TYs, then having him sign before I send them out. The last one I have is for his parents - I typically call them by their first names, he obviously calls them Mom and Dad. What salutation do I use? I thought about putting Dear Mom/Name and Dad/Name, but that seemed awkward. Thoughts?

Re: TY Question

• Options
    Can you write Dear Mom & Dad, thank you so much for ________ Love, Hubby & CA Giraffe?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge: Cake image
  • Options
    Hmm... good point.  I'll probably run into this problem, too.  When i write birthday cards to my mom I always put "Dear Mom" and then I sign my name and my fiance's, even tho he doesn't call her mom.  I think it's ok to just put "Mom & Dad."  Maybe sign his name on the card before yours?  Not sure if there's a right answer but I think "Mom/Name" would look strange to the parent and so would receiving a card from their son with their first-names on it.
  • Options
    And also, major props to you for getting those done only 4 days after the wedding!
  • Options
    I'll just put Mom and Dad, and have him sign first. It's probably not worth the time I've already devoted to trying to figure it out - just sending it is most important :) Thanks!
  • Options
    For our Christmas cards last year, we put First Name/Mom or Dad.  This year, we used just Mom or Dad.  I think you could stick with that, and sign his name first, so it appears that he's writing it and adding your name, versus you writing it and adding his name.  This would make the names better match the writer, if that makes sense.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited January 2013
    If it was me? I'd make H write it. Seriously it's one card if he doesn't have time to write one card.... Well that just seems ridiculous. I'd feel weird writing mom/dad bc even if he signs first it's obviously in your handwriting. And strictly speaking only the one writing the card should sign it so that's an extra reason I'd want H to write it. ETA FWIW I wrote my MIL's shower ty as "my dearest mother in law" H's dad is deceased. Again, b/c only the one writing the card signs it, and we were in the habit since the engagement of refering to one another as MIL and DIL. H wrote MIL's wedding ty
  • Options
    I made DH write the one to his parents, but he left me space for me to write a message too, and vise versa for my parents.  We both signed the bottom.  That way I didn't have to address it but I could still write them a message

• Options
    Only the person writing the card should sign it, really.  I made H write the one to his mom :).
  • Options
    Totally agree with the most recent posters.
    Your DH can take 5 minutes and write two sentences on a TY to his own parents.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards