Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Losing Friends ( LONG Post)

This is kind of old but things keep re-occuring so I wanted to share. Since College I have had three very close friends ( like sisters)one of them was my MOH. They were all my very best friend. They were the first three I asked to be in my wedding when we got engaged. When FI and I thought to go DW, I called all three and asked them first would they still be there for me, they all said yes. My MOH is single so I let her know if she needed someone to travel with her to make her expenses less she should do that. I also asked her repeatly was she ok with the cost of 700 dollars for one person for 4 nights, she said yes everytime.  Sidenote I started with seven BM's they but I called them first. So time went one and only one out of the three "S" said it may be hard. This was around July 2011. In August the MOH started freaking out about tickets. The travel agent told us that they were High now but in the new year it would be good to get our tickets. A couple of days later the three girls called me on three way and told me that they were dropping out the wedding. They started off, we love you......but we can't make it. They then told me that if I would have had my wedding in my hometown or in the states they would have come. It was like telling me I was not worth their money or there time.  I felt like they should have discussed this with me individually not collectively. We are friends as a group but we are also friends individually. The next day two of the girls called me, I was still upset and I let them know it. The MOH did not call. Three weeks went by before she called and when she did it was like as if nothing happen. We talked everyday I could not understand how we could talk everyday and she never say anything about it was to hard for her to come to the wedding. One day she sent me a text and asked me if I was ok. I told her I was not I asked her how could she talk to me every day and never tell me that she could not come. I told her when they called it taught me that the only person that I should be worried about being there is my FI. She called herself offended and we haven't spoke since early December. The BM "S" called me one month after telling me she couldn't be in my wedding and said, and I quote " I need some advice, Me and J ( her then Boyfriend) does not know how we can do this wedding. I told her not to worrty about it I had figured out my bridal party. She says " NO NOT YOU WEDDING MY WEDDING, we want to get married In September 2012 but I don't see how"  Early November she ask if I could be in her wedding. The guy proposes he day before Thanksgiving at that time she tells me that she pushed her wedding up to April 22, 2012. And TODAY SHE POSTED ON FB THAT SHE GOT MARRIED TODAY!!! What kind of friend are they? The other one is married and has a younger brother that is getting married in July she is helping him with wedding expenses. ( I got that). Is it me or two out of three was never my friend. Was I wrong for cutting them off?
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Losing Friends ( LONG Post)

• Options
    Im sorry your having friend issues. Its a terrible feeling as I'm having issues with my friends too but for different reasons. Its weird how some people drastically change right in front of you before you even know how it happened. Every week my so-called bf does something to rub me the wrong way and I wish I could cut her out, but we have a huge group of friends and it would be awkward to do it. I think my friends' issue is the same as yours, jealousy and jealousy is very evil and makes for really bad friends. Stand your grounds as I try to take my own advice!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    So true my MOH was my bestfriend before he propose she would call and be nice. As soon as we got engaged she started questioning everything he did. Why did you go out of town with out you ( he has a part-time at a boarding school, he goes once in a while) She would say he has a girlfriend there. Or why aren't you watching him play ball he has a girlfriend there. Or my favorite you should go through his stuff, I bet you will find out he has a girlfriend. WOW. 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, ya, that's not a friend....putting things in your head like that, yikes! Better not to have friends like that!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    Wow!  This is why I went with no wedding party.  I would have done the same and pretty much cut them out.  Currently I only keep in touch with a few friends and even then it's not often.  Too much drama for me and I have way to important things to worry about.

DW Siggy Challenge: Table Numbers-Jimmy Buffet Songs
    imageAnniversary Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    It does suck overall how everything has been handled, but unfortunately, this is all a part of having a DW, and I guess I wouldn't assume that they've never been your friends. 

It's a lot to ask anyone to be in a wedding, but especially one where they need to travel and likely take time off of work.  Maybe they really had hoped and thought they could make it work, but as it got closer, they realize it just wasn't going to happen.  It's really hard, but please try not to take it personally as though they're not good enough friends because they don't want to/can't travel for your wedding.   

But all of that aside, the comments from the MOH about the girlfriend is ridiculous and is so out of line, so I probably would have started to question my friendship right there. 

Hopefully, things turn out okay with the rest of the wedding planning and dealing with your friends! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_losing-friends-long-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:d3d0fafa-ed3c-444a-a68d-4a8fcabbf85aPost:4ccb76f3-592d-441b-9025-e20c64caeff7">Re: Losing Friends ( LONG Post)</a>:
    [QUOTE]It does suck overall how everything has been handled, but unfortunately, this is all a part of having a DW, and I guess I wouldn't assume that they've never been your friends. <strong> It's a lot to ask anyone to be in a wedding, but especially one where they need to travel and likely take time off of work.  Maybe they really had hoped and thought they could make it work, but as it got closer, they realize it just wasn't going to happen.</strong>  It's really hard, but please try not to take it personally as though they're not good enough friends because they don't want to/can't travel for your wedding.    But all of that aside, the comments from the MOH about the girlfriend is ridiculous and is so out of line, so I probably would have started to question my friendship right there.  Hopefully, things turn out okay with the rest of the wedding planning and dealing with your friends! 
    Posted by saric83[/QUOTE]

This... It's certainly unfortunate, but does go with a DW, especially one not in the states!  I'm not saying it was right, and it certainly could have been handled better on their part.  This is also the exact reason I opted for no BP.  I didn't want to make anyone feel obligated to come to the wedding, as I knew I wasn't making it easy for them by having it in Key West.  I have a handful of people (some that I'd consider to be pretty close friends) that were absolutely GUNG-HO told me 100% they'd never miss it, and now that it's time to plan and get that money together, they have backed out.  I told myself from the start that this may happen, and not to be disappointed about it!  I can imagine how different it feels though, seeing as how it was your BP and best friends!!

The girlfriend thing however is ridiculous!!!  I can't believe she'd say those things!

Sorry you're going through this, hon!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards