Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

seeing your partner before the wedding

2»

Re: seeing your partner before the wedding

• Fiance and I are not living together until we're married. I wont see him until the Mass starts. 

I don't think it's a big deal to do a first look. I just want the first time we see each other to be when we're getting married. We're having a Traditional Latin Mass, so the nuptials are before the Mass even begins. (Think Prince william and kate's wedding ceremony)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited September 2012
    We chose to break the tradition because of what the tradition is based on. The tradition started because marriages were arranged. In fear the groom would not like the bride or reject her, they didn't get to see her till at the alter, and even then she was covered in a viel so he wouldn't run if she was ugly. 

To me that's not romantic at all! So we are seeing each other beforehand. It'll make things a lot less nerve racking for me because I'll have his support all day. We can also get a lot of photos done before the wedding and not have to worry about cramming them in afterwards. 

Also someone mentioned that because they're Catholic they all walk down the aisle? I'm Catholic and having a Catholic wedding and have NEVER heard of this. It probably depends on your church. My cousin is also Catholic and chose not to see the groom before her wedding. 
  • My FH and I were talking about seeing each other or not this weekend actually, probably because we went to the Milwaukee Art Museum and saw 5 WP taking pictures around the museum and a wedding was being set up in the museum as we were leaving!  I told him that the idea of the first look is cool because it is a private moment for him and I, however in my family we have a strong superstition against seeing each other. Since we have some time before deciding who will stay where and what not we haven't given alot of thought into that but we decided what is best for us to wait.

My favorite part of the wedding ceremony at weddings I go to is the look of the groom as he sees his bride walking towards him to start their new life together. I don't even look at the bride when she starts walking in so I don't miss his look.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_seeing-your-partner-before-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:4a8512a8-56c5-43a1-930d-92249ec64fb0Post:e04b65cd-2997-405d-8710-46ce9bf9b223">Re: seeing your partner before the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FH and I were talking about seeing each other or not this weekend actually, probably because we went to the Milwaukee Art Museum and saw 5 WP taking pictures around the museum and a wedding was being set up in the museum as we were leaving!  I told him that the idea of the first look is cool because it is a private moment for him and I, however in my family we have a strong superstition against seeing each other. Since we have some time before deciding who will stay where and what not we haven't given alot of thought into that but we decided what is best for us to wait. My favorite part of the wedding ceremony at weddings I go to is the look of the groom as he sees his bride walking towards him to start their new life together. I don't even look at the bride when she starts walking in so I don't miss his look.
    Posted by StephJean83[/QUOTE]

Same here.  The first look idea is really lovely.  But I actually look forward to the nervousness, anticipation and excitement pieces that come with waiting.  And I want all of our friends and family to share in seeing the look on FH's face when I walk down the aisle towards him.  I will be staying in the hotel where the reception will be the night before.  And I will take that alone time with myself just to think about everything and soak up what's happening.  So as you can see it's more of a preference than anything else.  Of course I will try to make sure the photographer captures the look on FH's face when I am walking down the aisle in order to capture his "first look" at me.
  • We are seeing each other the day of. We live together and also have children. It made no sense to us to have to make our daughter and I or him and our son to have to leave for the night. Nope, we want the children to be well rested and us to not be stressed. We plan on having our morning coffee together then he will take our daughter and I to the salon for our hair appointment and he and our son will do their "boy time" in which they already have planned, but the girls in the house aren't allowed to know about, lol. And after he takes us there we won't see each other again until the ceremony.
  • edited October 2012
    we're going to see eachother before so we can get pictures out of the way so we don't miss cocktail hour. Also our ceremony doesn't start til 8pm so we want some pics before it gets dark.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I want to spend the night and day of away from him as stated above to build suspense, suprise and for fun. Im not very superstitious, but this is my 2nd marriage and my 1 real ceremony so I want to follow most traditions to do it right. :) I dont really believe that it matters it all in what you and you fiance want to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards