North Carolina-Outer Banks

obx event home wedding help!!

Ok this is my first post I am newly engaged and my FI are really considering an event home in the Outer Banks. We would like to get married on the beach and then have the reception at the house. We need atleast 9 bedrooms but are on a very tight budget! Also do you have guests staying in the house chip in for the cost of the rental and if so how do you go about doing that? Do you include info about the house with invitation? How do pick rooms? Ahhh!
Any suggustions for hones are welcomed we don't want to be too far south so our guest have less traveling.

Re: obx event home wedding help!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_obx-event-home-wedding-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:17882c76-d88f-4897-be64-7b0e932240edPost:bdc79b3e-2fd3-491c-907f-14d3c25adbe5">obx event home wedding help!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok this is my first post I am newly engaged and my FI are really considering an event home in the Outer Banks. We would like to get married on the beach and then have the reception at the house. We need atleast 9 bedrooms but are on a very tight budget! Also do you have guests staying in the house chip in for the cost of the rental and if so how do you go about doing that? Do you include info about the house with invitation? How do pick rooms? Ahhh! Any suggustions for hones are welcomed we don't want to be too far south so our guest have less traveling.
    Posted by kks89[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We just picked our event home and we chose one that had enough rooms for the bridal party and close family and made sure each couple would atleast have a double or queen size bed. We chose a house that had a deck with a pool and also a back yard. We may ask the bridal party if they would each be willing to contribute $100 to cover some of the cost. We figure the rationale being that it's at least $100 a night at a hotel and they are getting to stay at a house for 1 whole week! We will include the address and name of the house in the invitation. </div><div>
    </div><div>Some houses we looked into were: </div><div>Cinco palamas - fits 38 guests but is NOT an event home so you can't have more than 38 people, but it's like a compound. There is the main house and then two duplex-like houses. </div><div>
    </div><div>Boardwalk - forget the realtor, but there's a house next to it named Park Place, so you could rent those two together. </div><div>
    </div><div>Big Mamma's and Big Daddy's - right next door to one another</div><div>
    </div><div>As for choosing bedrooms, I figure the bride and groom (me and FI) will have the master bedroom and parents and sister will have the next largest bedrooms and then everyone else can sort it out amongst themselves.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Hope this helps! 

</div>
  • Thanks so much! It definitely is helpful. It is nice to know what other couples have decided to do. Thanks again
  • Each set of parents and us spilt the cost 3 ways to cover the cost of the house.  Everyone else who stayed offered money, but we decided it was our gift for the week.  Many other girls aksed their bridals parties to chip in, and I think that is just fine.  Just don't include the event fee if you split the cost.  That should be paid by whoever is covering the wedding.  As far as picking rooms, Owen and I picked the rooms for our guests.  We had the master bedroom.  My grandparents received the 2nd best bedroom (they are old and drove 7 plus hours, they deserved it), folllow by both sets of parents, and then my brother's family, and then the rest of the guests.  We simply placed their goodie bags with their names on them in their assigned room. No noe fussed.  My rental home was sound side, so that won't help.  Good luck in your search!
  • Congrats and welcome! 

How many people are you having?  Just make sure that you secure an event home that will allow for your number of guests.

PP's (previous posters) offered some really good advice!  I would go to the Outer Banks Wedding Assoc. at www.obxwed.com and under Vendors, you will find listings for different event homes.  It's also a great site to find caterers, officiants, photographers, etc.

Typically, you would divide the costs of the house evenly amongst everyone.  I think $100 is a steal b/c most hotels cost around $150-$250 a night during peak season.  Don't include this info on your invites, b/c not all of your guests will be staying with you.  Speak to your family and decide whom amongst them would want to stay and then share with your WP (wedding party) once family is confirmed and go from there.  What you DO want to include on your invites is accommodations with maybe 3 different hotels in the area for your guests.  You can call different hotels and block off rooms under you names and your guests will likely get a 10% discount.  I very highly recommend The Nags Head Inn and Shutters on The Banks....we used both for our guests, but it all depends on which part of the island you are getting married in.

Hope this information helps!  Let us know if you need anything else :)

• Thanks ladies such helpful information!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards