Getting in Shape

Plus size bride :(

I've always been a heavier set person, even as a child. However, I want to look stunning to myself as well as to my wedding guests on my big day. FI has successfully lost 25 POUNDS, while I've lost ZERO, doing the SAME excersice and eating habits. I'm on contraception, so maybe that has something to do with it? Any suggestions on how I can lose at LEAST 25 pounds before March? Thank you all in advance. Smile

Re: Plus size bride :(

• There's a sticky at the top of the board with a bunch of tips.

And more detaisl about what exactly you are doing will help people suggest changes.

Just going off what you said though if your eating the same as your fiance that is probably the problem. Men are very different then women and can eat more then us and still lose weight because they burn more calories. Try tracking your calories with a free tool like myfitnesspal and make sure you measure and count out exactly what your eating. Most people when they start realize they were way overeating on their portions and unable to lose the weight.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto PP - track your calories, it is the biggest favor you'll do for yourself. I also recommend myfitnesspal.com - love it!
  • I've never been a calorie counter, and maybe I should be. It might help me lose the final 15 (which is more like 12 now - yay!)

I began my weight loss journey by doing several things: not eating late at night, less processed food (I"m still working on cutting more and more of them out), less soda (this one is HUGE for me), and making activity a part of every day.

And yes, contraception can play a part. Back when I started on the pill, and each time I went back on it (after my kids were born), I gained 40lbs exactly. I felt awful, and my dr's research told her that weight gain on the pill didn't happen anymore, so it couldn't be true. I switched doctors, found a new pill, and lost 25lbs before my first plateau. I do believe that it can happen. Talk to your doctor about switching.

Good luck - find something that you enjoy doing, get moving, eat less than FI, and don't get discouraged. Think about getting healthier NOT getting skinny. Post here - it's a great group, full of helpful tips and support. The daily accountability posts are awesome.

We're all doing the same things here.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm jumping on the wagon - count those calories! Think of it as a budget, and spend accordingly. I read something really great the other day about how you should look at it:

Spend 80% of it on things you NEED (mortgage/rent, savings, food, bills, etc. - or vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, high fibre foods), and 20% on things you WANT (new shoes, purse, a movie, etc. - ice cream, a slurpee, a cookie).

I like it, it helps me make better food choices. :)

As for contraception, I haven't personally experienced a difference and I've been on 3 different types (2 kinds of pills and the patch) and didn't notice a weight gain or loss. That doesn't mean it isn't a possibility though - every body is different. Like PP said, chat with your dr about switching if you think it can help you!

GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Two years ago, i lost 56 Lbs. and in the middle of my stressful wedding planning, i gained some back that i'm trying to lose, it's been a lot harder than the first time, It's definitely a calorie counting game and not skipping meals. yesterday as i was finally looking through the INSANITY diet plan, i came across tbe Harris-Benedict Principle to determine the appropriate daily calorie consumption. Try it out, when i lost 50+ lbs the first time, it was after i realized a 1200 calorie diet was not enough for my body, i had to eat 1400 and when i changed that, they just started coming off. Good luck. :)
  • Not sure if calorie counting is the best to start right away. 
    It just makes people obsessed with all the numbers and can lead to disordered eating. 

But food journals might help you. Just write down everything that you're eating and maybe have a Nutrition expert to look it over for you. They will be able to tell you where you can make improvements. 
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_plus-size-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:2504a6d9-cece-40e6-add9-828ce0ee9508Post:3bbd73c9-6fa0-4e8f-b473-a9b599537815">Re: Plus size bride :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not sure if calorie counting is the best to start right away.<strong>  It just makes people obsessed with all the numbers</strong> and can lead to disordered eating.  But food journals might help you. Just write down everything that you're eating and maybe have a Nutrition expert to look it over for you. They will be able to tell you where you can make improvements. 
    Posted by swimmy1988[/QUOTE]

That's a bit of a blanket statement. I am sure that OP can decide if it is the right thing for her or not. Counting calories works for a lot of people, and I would say I'm not just "obsessed" with all of the numbers. I am also focused on filling those "numbers" with healthy foods, good fuel for my body. I agree that a nutritionist is a good resource for health & weight loss... However, many nutritionists tell clients to aim for a certain calorie range and not just eat as much healthy food as you want.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_plus-size-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:2504a6d9-cece-40e6-add9-828ce0ee9508Post:3aba1793-3f5a-4275-b1a2-91ac5576b05e">Re: Plus size bride :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Plus size bride :( : That's a bit of a blanket statement. I am sure that OP can decide if it is the right thing for her or not. Counting calories works for a lot of people, and I would say I'm not just "obsessed" with all of the numbers. I am also focused on filling those "numbers" with healthy foods, good fuel for my body. I agree that a nutritionist is a good resource for health & weight loss... However, many nutritionists tell clients to aim for a certain calorie range and not just eat as much healthy food as you want.
    Posted by Sarah5200[/QUOTE]

<div>That's true. I realized after posting just how bad that blanket statement sounded. But what I meant to say was that if you're just starting out. Food journals might be a better option, then with more practice can start counting calories. But like you said, the OP can decide what's right for her. :)</div>
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards