New Hampshire

Bands?

Anyone have any recommendations on a great band? Or any ideas on a price range for a band with 5-8 people? My FFIL had mentioned using a band instead of a dj, but we have no idea how much they might cost.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bands?

• edited December 2011
    I didn't do a ton of research, however, the few that I did look at started around 4K.  I remember thinking that it was A LOT more than a DJ, which is why we didn't do it.  I think some of the girls on the Boston board have used some good ones though and they might be able to help.
    Anniversary Buying A Home
  • mariegramariegra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I heard that they were really expensive too--so we didn't even try.  However, the Hard Rock Cafe in Boston does events every so often where they have local bands play demos for wedding bookings.  You may want to contact the restaurant to find out more about the dates that they do this.  I used to be on a mailing list, but I opted out of it a while back.  Maybe the restaurant can help with more info.
    September 2011 Board-April Siggy Challenge-Honeymoon Pics
    imageimage
    Planning Bio-updated August 16, 2011 NH Knotties Site
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. Yea I had found one place that sounded really good and started at 4000, I wasn't sure if that was typical or what. It sounded like a lot to me, but then again alot of the other ones you had to e-mail to get a price and none of them impressed me much.
  • edited December 2011
    The thing about live music, is each person in the band needs to get paid, and the setup/breakdown is much more time consuming than a dj.

I did a lot of research into this last spring. The avereage price we found was about $5k for the night. Bands in MA seemed to be better qulaity, but more expensive. If you go through an agency, sometimes they are able to negotiate with the band members and bring the price down. If you decide to book from the band directly, tell them your budget up front, and some bands are willing to accomodate.

Always go see the band play live. We went and saw a ton of bands, many at Whippersnappers in Londonderry, NH (don't know how close you are to that area, but there is live music on Saturdays). We got ours for $3500, which I feel like is a steal because they sounded great! They are an 8 piece I think, with 3 horn players. That price included cocktail hour and our ceremony. They were $3000 for just the reception. They were the lowest price we found for a band that size. Even some smaller bands were more expensive. Best of luck!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_bands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:101Discussion:1b39c7d1-5727-40f2-884e-88a32393cf1fPost:94671243-89ec-4c31-afbe-b2cc029a11bc">Re: Bands?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The thing about live music, is each person in the band needs to get paid, and the setup/breakdown is much more time consuming than a dj. I did a lot of research into this last spring. The avereage price we found was about $5k for the night. Bands in MA seemed to be better qulaity, but more expensive. If you go through an agency, sometimes they are able to negotiate with the band members and bring the price down. If you decide to book from the band directly, tell them your budget up front, and some bands are willing to accomodate. Always go see the band play live. We went and saw a ton of bands, many at <strong>Whippersnappers in Londonderry, NH</strong> (don't know how close you are to that area, but there is live music on Saturdays). We got ours for $3500, which I feel like is a steal because they sounded great! They are an 8 piece I think, with 3 horn players. That price included cocktail hour and our ceremony. They were $3000 for just the reception. They were the lowest price we found for a band that size. Even some smaller bands were more expensive. Best of luck!
    Posted by dragynfliiz[/QUOTE]

Yea we go to Whipps quite a bit cause we live in Derry, but never during live music lol. What band did you have? I called up Northstar Entertainment and the guy I spoke to was really nice and he told me I can expect to save 25-35% just based on the fact that I have a Friday wedding. AWESOME! I was so into the conversation and excited about the savings I forgot to ask for a price! LOL. But hes sending me more information and I will just give him a call after I get it since I will have more questions I'm sure. I really like Rare Form, I'm really hoping that we will be able to afford them!
  • edited December 2011
    When we looked into Rare Form, and even after negotiation, they were wayyyyy out of our price range, so we didn't go to see them live. We were working with the Heart of Boston entertainment. We are having a Saturday night wedding, so they might be more reasonablly priced for a Friday weddding. 25-35% off sounds like a great deal.

We hired the Souled Out Show Band. They were phenominal! (and I'm a music teacher, and FI plays drums, so we are very picky when it comes to live music.) They had more of a Chicago sound than a "wedding band" sound. I think the play at Whips every month or so. We looked at three other bands at Whips too, plus 2 or 3 other bands that Donna from the Heart of Boston suggested. We definitely shopped around.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards