Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

What have you done today...

to make you feel proud??

This morning I was thinking to myself and anticipating tonight's Biggest Loser and thought, "what have I done today to make me feel proud" (which if you ever watch the show, is the theme song at the beginning...I LOVE that song, it inspires me every time).    So what have you done today or what are you doing today to make you feel proud?

Re: What have you done today...

• edited December 2011
    I got up this morning at 5:00 and went to the gym.  I did the elliptical machine and the bike for 45 minutes and feel great!  And tonight when we get home we're going to take the dogs on a mile and a half run to get them some exercise. 

I am also going to e-mail some people I met on Saturday at the job fair.  I'm trying to get over my fears :)
  • DonnaariesDonnaaries member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow Mariah, I'm proud of you for what you've accomplished.

I guess this is technical today.. I stayed up until 2:00am correcting a problem on a student's homework trying to explain step by step what he has consistently done wrong in these type problems.  Dedication or insomnia?  Not sure.
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
    Donna Cooks: My Food Blog
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is not nearly as good as Mariah's, but I'm going to have ALL my grading done before they are actually due! Seems minor, but all the teachers out there know my pain.
  • edited December 2011
    I love, love , love Biggest Loser.  There is a woman I met in Team In Training who is auditioning to e on the next season.  Her name is Mo, so if she makes it you gotta watch!

I haven't really done anything yet today to make myself proud.  I'm still carrying over from a few Sundays ago when I did a marathon!  But to have goals for today, I'm going to go to the gym over lunch and get back to running and getting in shape for the wedding and taking the trunk full of clothes I have to Buffalo Exchange after work.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and Mariah, that is awesome!!!!

I'm starting P90X after I get back in town on Sunday so I'll have to start getting up early.  Yikes.

Anyone out there tried P90X?  I'm scared!
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    RCPM,
    I know your pain!

I have a few....
    I managed to get all my grades in early for the six weeks that ended last Friday for the first time in a year (I had them done on time but I used to have them done the last Friday of the six weeks).  I did this inspite of being in the hospital for eleven days. 

I just finished explaining some noun stuff to my zero period kids and I think I did a really good job.  We'll see how well I actually did do when they take a test in a few weeks.

I feel proud that I've changed a majority of my eating habits.  We did have pizza for the first time in over two months last week but I was good and only ate two slices.  Pizza was an every week thing for us before I got sick. 

Lastly, I feel proud that my mom has finally realized that it's a problem that she hasn't cared about her appearance (along with a lot of other things) since her stroke and wants to do something about it.  My mom used to wear make up almost every day and take pride in herself.  However, since the stroke, she's barely worn make up, barely gone into work, gained back some of the weight she lost before the wedding, etc. 
  • edited December 2011

Great job you guys on the grades!  I know that's a huge deal and I think it's really admirable to take the time to try and explain to a student how to get correct answers...I could have used that in a few of my teachers when I was in school.

I'd LOVE to try P90x...but it's so expensive!  :(  Balfour....don't you live in Richardson, too??  I'd totally do it with you!! 

Julie, pizza used to be a once a week thing for us, too.  It's hard to break that and that's awesome you went two months without it!!

And I know what you mean about your mom.  My mom used to be the same way about her looks.  I have no idea what happened to make her stop caring.  It's really frustrating.  I'm glad your mom is trying to get better!

And thanks for the encouragement :)  It's so hard to get up but after working out I feel great this morning!

• edited December 2011
    Mariah, I do  live in Richardson.  Honestly, I have a  copy of the workouts froma  firend.  They're mpegs so I have to watch them on my computer.  I'll send you a PM with details.

One of my girlfriends is on day 15 now and she says you do some of the silliest moves and says she wouldn't want to have anyone see her.  I think even though I'd slook silly having someone there would still push me.  I wish 24 Hour Fitness would do the classes!
  • tnickel06tnickel06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I woke up early to do the quiz for this week and next week since I will be on the honeymoon and I ended up finishing all the quizzes. Only have 1 assignment and 1 final until I'm done with that class!

Other than that, I haven't done anything else this morning. Congrats on yall's achievements!
  • cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Balfour and Maraih- I did p90x for a while (had to give the cds back to the original owner) and I LOVED it!! It is worth the money trust me...I was seeing results within like a week :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_done-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:1ed8bc18-518c-443a-a905-993e101d8f7fPost:c200dd3b-e6d3-4252-a0b1-c4af6a6193ff">Re: What have you done today...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh and Mariah, that is awesome!!!! I'm starting P90X after I get back in town on Sunday so I'll have to start getting up early.  Yikes. Anyone out there tried P90X?  I'm scared!
    Posted by balfour00[/QUOTE]

Be very scared - no I'm just kidding! I'm not going to lie though - it kicked my butt!!!! It is defiantly a GREAT workout and it will work muscles you didn't even know existed. I love it when I am sore - makes me feel like I have accomplished something. But WOW - just be prepared to be very, very sore and very, very gratified for all your hard work!! GL and let me know how you like it!
  • edited December 2011
    I used P90x and have to agree it works! I lost 27.5 pounds using it. I feel and look better then when I was a teenager.
  • edited December 2011
    Here's my question about P90X...when you get through the workouts, how do you maintain?  It's so easy to get the results and then stop doing the program. Does it have a kind of program you follow afterwards to maintain the toned look?
  • edited December 2011
    Mariah I got so used to working out and following the food plan that it made it easier for me to continue working out on my own without the videos. P90x helped me become disciplined with both working out and eating healthy.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm finally getting my butt in gear about going to school. Granted, I'm going to go to a tech school, but it's school none-the-less. I won't actually start till September or October and I'll be going to school in Austin. We plan to move there in September and live with my parents for the 6 months it takes me to get done with school. I'm looking into a few different cosmotology schools for esthetics. I got information back from one school yesterday and they look pretty good. I'm getting really excited about this. I hope it all goes well. I'm so nervous. I wasn't that great of a student in high school. Hopefully my study habits will be better now that I'm older.
  • cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mariah- if you want to keep the same exact look you just start the program over and continue to repeat, but like Melissa said, after the 90 days you body will be in such great shape you could probably just start going to the gym to maintain a good physic
  • edited December 2011
    Awesome! Thanks for the info, ladies!

And bdette, congrats on going back to school!  That's a huge step!
  • BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Marlene - Yay for you! I think you'll find that when it's something that you want to study, you're more likely to actually do it. Plus, if you're paying for it yourself, that helps the motivation too!

I've been back in Dallas for almost two months, but I think I've finally started to settle into a good workout routine over the last few weeks. Kickboxing is my new crack!
  • edited December 2011
    Last fall I did Couch to 5K and finished my first 5K in October.  Now I've switched over to Couch to 10K and today is the start of the new week, and the first day of each week always seems to be the toughest.  So if I make it through tonight's run without hating life, I'll be proud.  I also watch Biggest Loser, and so Tuesdays are usually a good day to force me to work out -  I feel really guilty if I skip my workout and then watch all of them kicking their butts in gear while I'm being lazy.

Also took care of my annual visit to my GP and my optometrist.  Yay for taking care of my health!
  • Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_done-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:1ed8bc18-518c-443a-a905-993e101d8f7fPost:14a8614b-6cd6-4142-9ffb-98256c3c7283">Re: What have you done today...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mariah I got so used to working out and following the food plan that it made it easier for me to continue working out on my own without the videos. P90x helped me become disciplined with both working out and eating healthy.
    Posted by melissaandjoel[/QUOTE]

I did (albeit, it was over about 115 days and not 90) and didn't follow the food plan. I gained a ton of muscle and look more toned, but I actually gained 5 lbs...so do the food plan!
  • edited December 2011
    Marissa, is the food plan hard to follow? 
  • edited December 2011
    butting in....

The P90x foodplan is broken down into different phases, each phase you add different types of food you are allowed to eat. The first phase is really hard because tons of foods are banned, and your hungry all the time but if you get past that, the rest of the phases are easier to follow. I still basically follow the foodplan eating 5 little meals a day.
  • edited December 2011
    OK, I have been doing Couch to 5k for the past 6 weeks and haven't lost any weight.  I've been thinking about doing p90x (love those infomercials) and now I'm thinking I might have to take the plunge!!!
    imageimage Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Melissa, I think I can do that.  I already "graze" when I eat anyway during the day... Awesome!  Thanks for the info!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The food is good (I'm doing the food plan on the insanity plan right now). It's just a pain in the butt to prepare--be ready for a huge food bill and a load of cooking. You can substitute your way around it to make it easier, though
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't want to post until I actually did it, just got back from a mile jog with Gypsy.  I also love BL on Tuesday and always feel like a slacker if I don't do anything and then watch it.
  • edited December 2011
    awilkins - This is just my personal experience, but with Couch to 5K the pounds don't melt off like with other fitness plans, partly because there's no food plan associated.  I've found that tracking calories is half my battle - it's easy to balance out the calories from one Couch to 5K workout by eating just a little bit more, and that negated my progress for a long time until I seriously started tracking calories.  I guess it just depends on your goals.  Right now my goal is "slow and steady" and the basic running plan with two days of spin class is working well for me.  You could also try Couch to 10K - it starts off just as easy as Couch to 5K, but because you're working out for longer (usually 1 hour), it's not as easy to replace the calories by eating a single cookie.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alana--it's so awesome you did that. That program changed my running life!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, Marissa!  Considering I was never much for running (for some reason I could play tennis in HS, but running continuously killed my shins and ankles), I'm pretty excited that I'm doing something I never thought I could do.  I may not have been at my ideal weight for my wedding, but it's the long-term that counts, right? :)  (And if I get to that magic size by our 5 year anniversary, I'm having my dress taken in and might do TTD or the bridals I never took or a set of couples photos.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards