North Carolina-Outer Banks

Ocracoke Wedding

I am getting hitched on Ocracoke Island September 17th! We are wanting to have a "pig pickin" style reception after the ceremony, but are on a tight budget. We wanted to plan a DIY reception, and cook everything ourselves, but it's stressing me out to the max on the thought of this! lol Does anyone have any suggestions on catering companies that do not charge and arm and a leg to cook a pig and a few sides? PLEASE HELP!  Thank you! :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ocracoke Wedding

• edited December 2011
    Ocracoke local (and bride-to-be) here! Hi! *waves* Congrats :D

Cafe Atlantic will cook sides like green beans, shrimp cocktail, and spinach lasagna but you have to pick them up yourself. There's several places up the beach (High Cotton, Pigmans) that do pig pickin' but I'm not entirely sure if they will bring it down the beach to you in Ocracoke or do it there - I used to live in Kitty Hawk and they were basically the first names to come up for those sorts of things.

If you just need someone to cook it for you on site and don't mind renting a grill or whatever, I might also suggest calling around to the restaurants - if they won't do it, they can probably reccomend someone who can.

I've been looking into catering for my own wedding and it's very common down here for people to get a favorite dish or side from each of the restaurants for their reception - so that might be a route you could take.

Sorry I don't have more info - but good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for your help! I called High Cotton today, and emailed Pigmans...hopefully one of these will travel to Ocracoke for a reasonable price! Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011
    Not a problem! You can also try getting in contact with David of Ocracoke Style planning, I don't know if you intended to have a planner or not but I know down here it can be hard to get people to come down and they deal with catering and stuff all the time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That's so weird! He IS my wedding coordinator!
  • edited December 2011
    Hahaha! Not too weird, we don't have a whole lot of them down here. :) David is a good family friend of ours! He should be able to help you get it taken care of if neither of the restaurants you called will.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wanda BeasleyWanda Beasley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    B J's Carolina Cafe and catering has been catering pig roasts/pickins on the OBX for 20 years... Their food is delicious, service unmatched, and they travel  down the  island tooo check out their website and facebook too 252 491 5222
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! I'm planning my October 2011 wedding in Ocracoke and I'm having a really hard time getting in touch with David from Ocracoke Style which makes me worry about using him, but I know he's one of the few planners down there...can you tell me about your experience with him??

Thanks!
    Jess www.JessCantCook.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards