Getting in Shape

Protein Powder, Recs. please?

What are you guys using? There are sooooo many to choose from...... 

When and how often do you drink them? So far I have just been doing the 10g protein packs for water like twice a day, but as I am working out more I want to add more protein.

TIA!!!!

Re: Protein Powder, Recs. please?

• I use ISO sensations powder - I like vanilla and chocolate, cookies and cream is ok as long as you blend it (though I just stir it, you get black "cookie" chunks at teh bottom of your cup if you just do that). I normally just have one with breakfast with milk/water but I will start taking it more once I start NROL4W
  • I like to take 1 cup milk, about 5-6 ice cubes, 1/2 frozen banana and one scoop of chocolate whey protein powder.  Mix in blender and mmm....so good!  I do this directly after a high intensity workout.  

I let the bananas get ripe and then slice them and freeze in a ziploc.  The banana slices add just the right amount of sweetness since whey powder is very low in sugar.  And the potassium in the banana helps to excrete water from your system while giving you protein and energy (natural sugars).

I have not found much (if any) difference between different brands of whey protein.  I used to use soy protein but I prefer the taste of whey over soy.
  • I love Pro-Optimal Whey in Strawberry. Put it in the blender with some frozen strawberries, milk, plain greek yogurt, tad bit of water,  and there you have it - strawberry milk shake :)
  • On Nebb's suggestion I got a freaking pail of the ISO-Sensation 93 protein powder.  Iit's an isolate, so you get more pure protein, faster.

If you're going to be using it primarily as a post-work out recovery, the isolate is a better option, because you body absorbs it faster.  ISO-Senestion, or ISO-100 are examples.

If you want it more as a protein boost for meals/snacks, a protein blend is better.  They contain a blend of fast and slow absorbing proteins.  EAS is an example of that.

If (like me) you use it for both, the isolates are a good option, because you can get the quick hit of protein after a workout, but add it to things like milk to help slow the absorption when taking it with meals.

As for where/when I use protein powder: I mix a scoop w/ 3/4C skim milk to use with me cereal in the morning (high fibre cereal) and I add a scoop to 1 1/2 C of plain FF yogurt for my morning snack.  Then, I have a scoop mixed with some water for a post-workout recovery shake.  Yesterday I put some frozen blueberries in the cup too for a bit of extra flavour.

I get vanilla since it's the most versatile for mixing with other things (like milk).
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • great info raynes thanks!
  • No prob.  I had to buy more this week so spend some time reading up and then talking with the guy at the supplements store. 
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really like the Kashi protein powders. They are lower in cholesterol than many of the other brands.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards