Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress question

I don't have any clue what "type" of dress I'm looking for. I don't have much of a preference as far as ball gown, a-line, sweetheart neckline etc The one preference I do (well, did?) have was that the dress be white.

There's a dress that keeps catching my eye each time I see it, so I went online to see the price and sizes etc and it says they only have it in IVORY! ahh! 

I've always thought I'd wear white, not ivory. I just can't wrap my head around wearing ivory, lol.

Here's the dress I'm swooning over.
http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Tulle-Ball-Gown-with-Lace-Appliques-8CKP421

It's also a tiny bit out of my price range. WWYD? Keep looking?

They have one extremely similar to that one and it comes in white but I'm about 2 or 3 sizes off from fitting into it. I have until November, but don't want to add in yet something else to stress about (weight/fitting my dress)

Re: Dress question

• I think you should go try the ivory one on.  I think you'll be surprised.   I was convinced I would ONLY like white dresses, and found that the white washed me out WAY to much.  I ended up going to one store that ONLY has ivory dresses in their samples, because in their opinion, they think 95% of brides all look better in ivory.   

Go try it on, see if you still feel that way after trying it on and maybe hold the white one up to your body and see if you still feel convinced that you want white.

You might, but at least you'll know and you can stop looking at the ivory only choices.

Good luck!
  • I didn't care if my dress was white or ivory (all of that "white for purity" stuff is bunk anyway), I just cared what looked good on me.  My dress is what Mori Lee calls ivory, but when I tried on the sample I could've sworn it was more of a diamond white (not as harsh as stark white).  Just because it says "ivory" doesn't mean it's going to look yellow and you're not going to feel like a bride in it.   Just figure out what looks best with your skin tone, and go with that.
  • My recommendation would be to go try on dresses.

First of all, I think it will give you a very good idea of what you like and what styles look good on you.    Tell your consultant the "feel" of your wedding (super-formal, outdoor, beach, whatever) and your budget, and let him or her pick out some dresses that they think will suit you.  Be sure to try on one or two dresses that you think you will NEVER wear, just for some perspective.  Many of us find out that we actually like things we never would have imagined, and some things that we don't think will be flattering actually look great.

As for the white vs. ivory, honestly I think the only way I could tell the difference is to hold them right up next to each other.  On a real person, they all kind of look the same (though some shades flatter some skin tones better).   Again, you'll get a better feel for what you like when you start trying dresses on:-)
    DSC_9275
  • Unless you are super, super dark, ivory will look better on you.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• edited March 2012
    I tried that dress on at DB, the do have it in white.  Or if they are calling it ivorry it doesn't really look ivory to me. haha it was my number two.  Very pretty dress!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-question-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:8fd65c2e-da1c-4682-b82b-0c6fd1f5de26Post:a1945abb-2204-4db3-9bd9-176e50a0493a">Re: Dress question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Unless you are super, super dark, ivory will look better on you.
    Posted by music11[/QUOTE]

I have very pale olive-toned skin and ivory (and any other off-white shades) looks TERRIBLE on me.  For people with olive skin, regardless of how light or dark-skinned they are, white will probably look better.  For people with pink undertones in their skin, ivory typically looks better.

Either way, if you can't find the dress in the color you want, I'd say keep looking.  But with DB, they often have more colors in stock in stores than they do online.  (That dress is beautiful, btw!) 
  • I thought I wanted a white dress and then I tried on some that were either off-white or ivory. I asked if they had the same dress or similiar in white and when I tried on the white I actually preferred the ivory color. I would try it on and compare the colors on yourself before you rule it out.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-question-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:8fd65c2e-da1c-4682-b82b-0c6fd1f5de26Post:65aaba3c-bf33-4f23-8ff0-11339472e42a">Re: Dress question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't care if my dress was white or ivory (all of that "white for purity" stuff is bunk anyway), I just cared what looked good on me.  My dress is what Mori Lee calls ivory, but when I tried on the sample I could've sworn it was more of a diamond white (not as harsh as stark white).  Just because it says "ivory" doesn't mean it's going to look yellow and you're not going to feel like a bride in it.   Just figure out what looks best with your skin tone, and go with that.
    Posted by raehny[/QUOTE]

<div>This. Just go try stuff on. Try different styles and shapes and shades. I didn't have a preference in shades. I tried on my dress and it happened to be in ivory (its not yellowy at all) and I loved it so that's what I got.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-question-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:8fd65c2e-da1c-4682-b82b-0c6fd1f5de26Post:0b795741-8b55-4302-ab32-fcccb0b98c42">Re: Dress question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dress question : I have very pale olive-toned skin and ivory (and any other off-white shades) looks TERRIBLE on me.  <strong>For people with olive skin, regardless of how light or dark-skinned they are, white will probably look better. </strong> For people with pink undertones in their skin, ivory typically looks better. Either way, if you can't find the dress in the color you want, I'd say keep looking.  But with DB, they often have more colors in stock in stores than they do online.  (That dress is beautiful, btw!) 
    Posted by calliopeia2013[/QUOTE]

<div>I actually disagree. I have a paleish olive skin tone and my dress is ivory and looks very good, just like golds like very good. There's way too much variation within skin tones to generalize, which is why trying things on is so important. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What everyone else said! Just go try it on! I wanted a white dress, too, but my second choice was an off-white and there was no question that I felt like a bride in it. If this one is out of your price range, look around for coupons or other deals. You could also save up money over time by cutting back on getting fancy coffee drinks or eating dinner out (generalizing -- you may not do either of these things, but that's just an example). You could also go to some bridal outlet stores to see if they have anything similar. I found a gorgeous dress at an outlet store, brand-new, just a discontinued style, and fell in love!
  • I agree with PP, if you haven't tried on dresses yet you will be surprised, you may hate this dress once you try it on or you may love it despite the color.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards