Ohio-Toledo

when to send out invites and when to set rsvp date?

How far in advance are the wedding invites supposed to go out? Some places Ive read its about 8 weeks. But on the knot checklist it says send them out at the 3 month mark? Also how many weeks before the wedding should the rsvp date be set at? I think we have to meet with our caterer on June 10th with the final head count, and the wedding is June 30th. Any suggestions would be helpful, as I am trying to finalize the invites and send them out on time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: when to send out invites and when to set rsvp date?

• Invites go out 6-8 weeks before your wedding according to the ettiquette gods.  The knot is definitely wrong about this.

As for the RSVP date... I would contact your caterer and see if you can push back the final head count date.  Three weeks beforehand seems early.  It's not like they are going to be buying and cooking all of the food that soon.

Shoot for a date as close to your wedding as possible and not any earlier than a month before the wedding.

For us, our caterer wanted the head count 1 week in advance.  I asked for the RSVPs to be returned no later than 10 days before the wedding.  This gave me 3 days to track down missing responses and that was plenty.

Good luck!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Our date is June 30th. We need to give the head count to the caterer on June 10th. I was thinking of sending the invites out the week of April 8th, and having the RSVP date as June 3rd. That gives us a week to call people who have not returned their RSVPs. Some of you girls know from experience, is this good timing/spacing? I don't want to give not enough time or too little time either.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • akirkenakirken member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_when-to-send-out-invites-and-when-to-set-rsvp-date?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:237Discussion:1f85a603-bc23-40cf-ad89-d66164435732Post:3bb2f9dd-44a1-4277-91eb-36ef12504a9c">Re: when to send out invites and when to set rsvp date?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Invites go out 6-8 weeks before your wedding according to the ettiquette gods.  The knot is definitely wrong about this. As for the RSVP date... I would contact your caterer and see if you can push back the final head count date.  Three weeks beforehand seems early.  It's not like they are going to be buying and cooking all of the food that soon. Shoot for a date as close to your wedding as possible and not any earlier than a month before the wedding. For us, our caterer wanted the head count 1 week in advance.  I asked for the RSVPs to be returned no later than 10 days before the wedding.  This gave me 3 days to track down missing responses and that was plenty. Good luck!
    Posted by cschuma2[/QUOTE]

Well the caterer actually needs the head count by 10 days before the wedding, but we are supposed to meet with them to finalize everything as well as give the head count. The only time that will work for us and that is closest to the date is the 10th. I was thinking the 17th but thats fathers day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Perhaps you can simply phone in your final head count?  If you are required to pay in full at that point, perhaps they would take a credit card payment over the phone.  If they won't do a phone payment, perhaps you could pay the majority of your bill at your meeting 20 days out and then drop a check in the mail to cover the difference. Maybe you could even pay them the difference at your wedding.

That being said, it wouldn't necessarily be inappropriate to have 6/3 be your RSVP date- it just might be easier on your guests to have it be a little later.  Definitely don't have it be earlier.

Your invitations should not go out any earlier than the first week of May.

This doesn't necessarily have to be a question for the Toledo board.  You could also ask this on the "invites and paper" board if you want more responses.

ETA:  I also wouldn't have 6/3 be your date.  That's a Sunday and you won't get any mail that day anyway.  How about 6/4?

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards