Connecticut

Carousel Pavillion at Lighthouse Point Park

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the boards - my fiance (Matt) and I just got engaged in December. We live in NYC but looked at a few places in CT (where our families are from) over the weekend. Is anyone planning a wedding at the Carousel Pavilion at Lighthouse Point Park in New Haven? I really love it but it seems like there would be some challenges. For example, everyone would need to use the public beach restrooms which are not attached to the venue.

It's SO beautiful and unique though! Here are some pictures from another wedding there:

http://www.stylemepretty.com/2009/04/20/real-wedding-julia-mike-at-the-carousel-iv/

Interested to know if anyone has any opinions :)

Carly

Re: Carousel Pavillion at Lighthouse Point Park

• edited December 2011
    HI Carly! Welcome to the boards! When is your wedding??
    That is a beautiful wedding at Lighthouse point, Unfortunately I don't know of any weddings personally that have been held there that I can tell you about... But have you checked into nearby venues? There is Anthony's Oceanview and Amarante's SeaCliff (where I am having my wedding in June). They are both literally right around the corner and you can still use lighthouse point as part of your day, either with your pictures or even an after party! It seems like there would be some challenges involved but maybe if you found out more personal experiences from ppl who have had their weddings there they can lead you in the right direction ;)
    Good luck with everything!!
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations Kiki! I looked into lighthouse point too but ended up going with Amarantes down the road. 

There are a few challenges- you would need to cater the food in and there is no kitchen. It will end up costing more because they will need to "make a kitchen." You'll also need to rent/buy all your tablecloths, silverware, etc. The bathroom thing was the breaking point for me. It is a private bathroom for your function only but it is in a separate building..very inconvenient and messy if it rains! 

I personally loved the  atypical venue despite it's challenges but my fiance hated it from the start. The outside of the building is a little run down- could definitely use a paint job. It is a park and is "park-like" My fiance is from LI,NY and wanted something a little more sophisticated. I loved loved loved the waterviews and that is one reason we looked at Amarantes. 
    Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • romyjm8romyjm8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also looked at Lighthouse Park and LOVED IT....

Our concern was that the ceremony has to be on-site, and there was nowhere to hold in indoors if it rained.

Yes, its more expensive (caterer, linens, etc. - they provide tables and chairs ---beware...chairs are pretty ugly!), but it gives you the chance to personalize your day...... There are no limits to catering, alcohol, etc. Plenty of free parking....and beautiful photos ;)

• romyjm8romyjm8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

And, sorry  -----  congrats & welcome to the CT boards!

• edited December 2011
    I think you should go see it the next time your in CT. Admission is free before memorial day. It really was my dream reception for awhile. You don't need to have your ceremony there. We always planned on having a church ceremony. Did you contact Sabrina Bruno for more information? She's in charge of it. I forgot her title but I can look up her contact info if you don't have it. 
    Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Kiki I'm from NY originally and am now in CT.  We seriously considered the carousel location...in fact we visited it THREE TIMES, we loved it so much!  One of the things people underestimate is how much more work you have to put into bringing in outside vendors.  I wouldn't consider this location if you don't have a wedding planner - if the typical wedding becomes a "part-time job" for most of us, then having to coordinate food with alcohol with linen with servers with chairs (because yes, the ones they give you are ugly haha), you will find yourself working double time. 
    In the end, there was one thing that stood out above the rest that made us look elsewhere - it's a PUBLIC park and ANYONE is allowed on the beach.  Take a ride up there when it's warm, and you'll see what I mean.  Undecided
  • kiki_10kiki_10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone! I actually have seen the venue, and do think it's beautiful (other than those CHAIRS, haha, I saw them stacked up in the corner). I don't mind the casualness of it or that other people would be around. I think it's the bathrooms that get me. We couldn't get inside them, but I am imagining real public dirty beachy bathrooms. It's interesting to hear why you all didn't choose it.

Zoe - where did you end up having your wedding? So true that planning (esp. from a different state) is a lot of work, I have barely started and trying to get to CT to look at venues has been difficult.

sunkiss, we are planning the wedding for summer 2011.

I think we'll keep it on the list, and visit again in a few weeks. We're also looking in Mystic, Hartford, and Groton.
  • edited December 2011
    Does anyone know how much it costs to rent out the place?
  • edited December 2011
    To be honest, I think you will be disappointed when you see it if you're expecting what you see in the pictures. I live in the area and have been there many times. It's much smaller than it appears in those pics. Also there are a LOT of people milling around during the summer months, and the seaweed tends to build up on Lighthouse Point and can get quite smelly. Amarante's and Anthony's are right down the street and don't have the same issues.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I was quoted $2700-$3200.  Receptions can begin at 6:00 p.m. and last into the night.  The number of staff requested and the duration of the ceremony will determine the final cost.  That's what I was told.
  • edited December 2011
    I recently booked my November 2011 wedding ceremony there and I think it will be like a fantasy. I have not seen the bathrooms personally but it's not something I am all too worried about since myy reception is at a different venue. I'm curious if any of you got an inside tour of the place or just looked from the outside in? I thought it was beautiful inside and the lights from the carousel will make it that much more magical. I say if you want the fantasy/magical wedding, take a chance and book this place..from what I have seen from other weddings, it's really what you make it...I've literally seen plain rec halls be made into very elegant looking reception venues. Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    This is what i know about lighthouse point park, i am getting married next summer and this seems to be the place me and my fiance keep going back to!  Its beautiful, and give you the whole "going back to your childhood" feel which i think its so much fun! theres a million different places you can take awesome pictures, and it sets your wedding apart from the million other weddings since you can personalize it so much! Sabrino Bruno the lady in charger of booking events at the Carousel is so amazing! Shes soo helpful and there when you need her!  Although it will be more work on your end with providing catering and everything else Sabrina is there to walk you through it.  Whats cooler than having a FUN themed unique wedding that sets you apart from the rest?! It's your big day!! GoodLuck!! <3<3
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!

We're getting married at the carousel in May 2011...we haven't actually seen the chairs and from pictures it's hard to tell exactly what they look like.  Does anyone have clear photos that show what the chairs look like, and if so, can you point me to them or post them?  Are they ugly and you absolutely must cover them, or is it something that can be looked over with dim lighting? :p Thanks!!
  • edited December 2011
    maelwi, I am getting married there Sept 2011, and have seen the chairs. They are gold dingy pink cushoned hotel conference like chairs. You will have to, at the very least, get covers for them. I am planning on renting either the white wooden foldout chairs of the bamboo ones.

• edited December 2011
    Hello everyone!

I am seriously thinking of having my wedding at the Lighthouse Point this summer. I love the ocean views, the carousel, and like casual-vintage feel of the building. I read somewhere that someone was able to decorate the bathrooms themselves (rugs, toiletries...) and it made a big difference- taking away the 'public toilet' feeling. So that isn't so much of an issue for me.

My biggest concern is finding a caterer. Does anyone have any suggestions of a caterer who is willing to work with the venue and its lack of a kitchen?

Congrats everyone!!Laughing
  • edited December 2011
    Jusitne511, did you ever find a caterer? I'm working with David Alan catering out of Watertown, and he's EXCELLENT. 

Also, in regards to the bathroom, it's not horrible, but it's not awful either. You can bring in a tablecloth, flowers, basket, etc. and it comes with a restroom attendant to keep out beach-goers. 

Chairs there are tacky--pink, cushioned gold monstrosities. Maelwi, did you ever find rental chairs? This is my last task and it's a pain in the neck. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm trying to decide if I want a wedding at the Carousel or Anthony's, I looked at Amarantes and didn't love it as much. Our # 1 choice is the Carousel, does anyone know how much total they spent for a wedding here, who their dj and cater was and where they rented chairs from, should I get a wedding coordinator and who, I've talked with Sabrina and she doesn't seem too helpful to me, so hopefully this will help. I've seen the bathrooms dressed up and the venue when a wedding was being held here. My mother and I were wedding crashers ---well observed from a distance before it started but saw it all set up and there is white lights on the carousel and on the beams inside ---it was so beautiful.

Thanks ---
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards