Hawaii

Wedding Planners

Hello ladies, I have another question about wedding planners.  We're getting married on Maui in July and I'm narrowing things down.  I'm just confused and need some guidance/advice/help.  (Do you hear the desperation in my voice/text?) 

1. Maui'd Forever - Basic beach ceremony package, includes 2 leis $300. 

2.  Royal Hawaiian Weddings - Basic package $350, will have to buy leis etc.

3.  Tropical Maui Weddings - She quoted me $900 for a basic package that seems to have the same things that Maui'd Forever has in their basic package.

So I"m curious if anybody has used any of these people and what is so much more special from Tropical Maui Weddings that they charge $900 vs. $300? 

Am I missing something? 

Re: Wedding Planners

• carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, what I know is that Lori's whole fee is the up-front fee, she books all your vendors without any extra back-end charges and without limiting your vendors to a set list, and she's there on the day of the wedding to coordinate.  Some coordinators charge a smaller up-front fee, then charge you a % of each vendor, which gets added on to your cost for each vendor.  Some WC's will give you a list of vendors for each item in their package, and their package is only for those vendors, so if you go outside the list, they'll charge an extra % to book it for you.  Also, not all WC's are there on the day of.

We wanted freedom to pick our own vendors and not be restricted to a few on the WC's list, we wanted to pay a set amount upfront an not have our back-ed costs increase to have the WC book our vendors, and we wanted the WC to be there for the wedding.  Plus, we wanted someone who's really reliable.  That's how we ended up with our choice.

So just make sure you ask questions so you know what you're getting!
  • destiny1108destiny1108 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sorry, no help for Maui, but when we were interviewing coordinators we made a spreadsheet to compare services apple-to-apple.  The less expensive one may not include things that the higher priced one done.   I would ask more questions.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow I just learned a lot!  Thank you!!!  I thought you pick a package and you pay for it and you're done...I'm a little bothered that they don't really tell you about hidden fees etc.  Thanks again :)
  • NiiickyNiiicky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also not familiar with Maui planners, but I agree that you should go with someone where you can select your vendors and not be forced to go with the WC's friends. Some WC receive kickbacks from vendors as well. Go for a package where everything is upfront and coordinator is present on the day of your wedding. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I did the spreadsheet thing at first and narrowed it down to a few. Then after chatting with the hawaii knotties and getting some recommendations I talked with 2 WC and ended up going with Lori because she is super friendly and always gets back to me really quickly. I also feel like she is very up front with costs so there won't be as many surprises (hopefully) :P
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I learned about the questions to ask the WCs by reading the book Bridal Bargains.  I found it really helpful in thinking about planning our wedding.  Like anything related to your wedding, you just need to make sure that you ask all the questions you need to make sure you know all the fees you'll be charged under a variety of circumstances.

Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards