Moms and Maids

keeping the door locked?

Hi knotties! I could use some advice on something. On my wedding day I will be getting ready in my hotel room. We have a lot of out of town guests that are staying there as well. I really don't want a lot of people in my hotel room while im trying to get ready unless they have a reason like helping me into my dress or bridesmaids changing or something like that. I feel like if i have thirty people in the room its gonna overwhelm and stress me out. I know people just want to stop by and talk or see me in my dress, and i don't want to be rude , but i don't think i could handle it. What did you do if you had this problem? should i lock the door and only answer for certain people? 

Re: keeping the door locked?

• KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why don't you not tell them where your getting ready?  Or just say politely, I'm going to be busy that morning/afternoon and won't be entertaining? 
  • edited December 2011
    If it's at all possible, stay at a different hotel the night before your wedding. If you must stay in the same hotel as your guests, stay on a different floor, do not give out your room number and let the front desk know that the information shouldn't be given out. Hang a do not disturb sign on the door knob. If anyone knocks on your door, despite your best efforts, feel free to ignore.

You would think people would have more sense than this, but they don't. If your loved ones know where you are dressing for your wedding, they will stop in for a peek at you in your dress.

• edited December 2011
    People actually do that???  o_O Even if I were in the same hotel, it would never occur to me to drop in on a bride the morning of her wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We stayed at a hotel for DDs wedding, all of the BM got dressed in our suite and not a single other guest stopped by.  If I were you I would tell the front desk to NOT give your room number to anyone, that way you can give it to those who need to know - when they need to know. Don't even tell your BM until that morning if you're afraid they will tell other people.
  • I got a studio suite so i would have plenty of room for me and my girls to get dressed, so i cant get another room, but thanks for all the advice! Ill be sure to tell the desk clerk to not give my room number out and to do the do not disturb sign. and if that doesnt work ill change rooms with one of my bridesmaids if things get too hectic. Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't let everyone know where I was or have access to me while I'm getting ready.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We actually had a sort of similar situation after we were married, though.  We got married in my home town. 60 miles from the airport we needed and only 1 nice hotel. Our reception wasn't over until late and we knew we'd be too tired to drive far so we booked a room at the local Holiday Inn.  Immediately after the reception we went to my parents house to drop some stuff off and then went to the hotel, all of the guests were there already.  (about 50 rooms).   We figured it was dark, no one would see us enter the hotel, we used back door.  Well one of my cousin's recognized the car we drove and figured out we were there too. We'd only been in our room about 20 minutes when the phone rang, it was the front desk asking if we wanted them to tell people our room number. We told them no!  We heard my cousins going down the hall laughing & talking, trying to guess which room was ours. Luckily no knocks on the door though.
  • edited December 2011
    I got ready at the hotel where all my OOT guests were staying, but none of them knew which room we were getting ready in, so they couldn't have dropped in on us.

Where I was staying, and I thought most hotels, the front desk absolutely will not give out your room number to anyone. The most they will do is call your room and hand the phone to the person so they can ask you themselves.

I knew this for a fact at my hotel, because I'd tried to get H's room number from the front desk (I was staying in another room the night before and had forgotten to ask H what room he was in) and they wouldn't give it to me because the reservation was only in his name (even though it was on MY credit card!). I totally respect that policy, even though (in this case) it worked against me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards