South Carolina-Charleston
Options

Carolinas honeymoon help

Hello Fellow Knotties,

I am getting married in August in PAand my FI and are trying to decide where to honeymoon.  I really want some time at the beach and prefer the quiet, non-built up beaches.  We also really like to idea of seeing Charleston and maybe Savannah.  Any suggestions of beaches in SC that would fit that bill?  We are also considering the Outer Banks.  Any opinions of Charleston/local beaches vs. NC's Outer Banks and/or any sites we should see in either of those areas. We've never been either place and are on about a $1500 budget for the honeymoon.  Thanks!

Re: Carolinas honeymoon help

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We always go at Huntington Beach, just north of Charleston. It is next to a camp ground but it's still not as touristy as say Myrtle Beach. And its close to a lot. BrookGreen Gardens is across the street. We rented a beach house this time in the Isle of Palm. And Kiawah is also really nice. So you have a little bit of everything. Whatever you decide have fun.
    Charleston is one of our favorite places. Visit the online Chamber of Commerce and you can get a lot of information.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    eljones17eljones17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My family lives in Charleston and we've been going to the Outer banks for years on vacation (Hatteras).  In fact, I even lived there for a summer!  If I were you, I would honeymoon in Charleston instead of the Outer Banks.  The beaches in Charleston are great and are comparable in terms of crowdedness with most of the outer banks (that is, unless you go all the way down to Hatteras at the edge of the outer banks--it's about an hour and a half further than the Nags Head/Kitty Hawk area).  The real benefit to Charleston is that you have amazing restaurants and a ton of other things to do.  Charleston is one of the best cities in the country and is definitely worth visiting.  The outer banks is basically just beaches--the restaurants are overpriced tourist traps and there isn't much else to do. 

If you do choose to do the outer banks instead though, I recommend going all the way down to Hatteras--the prices for rentals are cheaper and the beach is beautiful.  There are never any crowds, which is the best part.  Be prepared for a limited selection of activities though--beach, a few decent restaurants, and fishing trips and that's about it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'd recommend looking up Wild Dunes on Isle of Palms.  Its a great area and is very far down the beach from the touristy area of Isle of Palms.  You'd be about 25 minutes from downtown Charleston.

We're going to second-line into the New Year! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards