October 2012 Weddings

Tip Questions - need more input

1.  My Hairdresser - not charging me - friend - doing it at my house - tip?
2.  Officiant - my boss - judge  - not charging me - doing it as a gift (and paying me all the days I will be gone even though i dont have the time off)  tip?
3.  Venue - ceremony/reception/catering all by same person same place - there is a contract - says nothing about tipping - we will be provided with a full staff from this place - tip?
4.  Cake person - not charging me - friend of family - gift is the cake - tip?
5.  DJ - nothing in contract about tipping?  Paid 585.00 for 6 hours of service - tip?

Thanks for looking (thanks LoriMC12 from an earlier post) I wasn't going to tip anyone...and all the sudden, I'm thinking...um....should I be tipping?  I dont want to be rude  in anyway...it just hadn't crossed my mind and budget is pretty gone...you know?

Thanks everyone!
Jessica Wedding Countdown Ticker 120 Invitedimage
101 Are ready to party image
18 Can't make it image
1 Are keeping me on the edge of my seat wondering image

Re: Tip Questions - need more input

• LDubHawksFanLDubHawksFan member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_tip-questions-need-more-input?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:be4efd29-dedc-497e-9ab7-b156edf7a1f6Post:97b23c02-53e5-4efc-baf9-0e8bd23b4870">Tip Questions - need more input</a>:
    [QUOTE]1.  My Hairdresser - not charging me - friend - doing it at my house - tip? 2.  Officiant - my boss - judge  - not charging me - doing it as a gift (and paying me all the days I will be gone even though i dont have the time off)  tip? 3.  Venue - ceremony/reception/catering all by same person same place - there is a contract - says nothing about tipping - we will be provided with a full staff from this place - tip? 4.  Cake person - not charging me - friend of family - gift is the cake - tip? 5.  DJ - nothing in contract about tipping?  Paid 585.00 for 6 hours of service - tip? Thanks for looking (thanks LoriMC12 from an earlier post) I wasn't going to tip anyone...and all the sudden, I'm thinking...um....should I be tipping?  I dont want to be rude  in anyway...it just hadn't crossed my mind and budget is pretty gone...you know? Thanks everyone!
    Posted by jessiflower[/QUOTE]

I think with friends/bosses doing you favors, it is better to give them gift cards and maybe a bottle of wine instead of a tip.  I doubt they expect it and might be offended, but with a gift.....
    If your catering staff and DJ absolutely do not have something in their contract you should be tipping them.  The only exception would be if the DJ owns his business, but I still think you may give him something if he does a good job. 

• I don't know about the others, but in Indiana judges can't be paid for performing weddings and I believe that includes taking money as tips.  Hope that helps a little :)
  • Yes to all. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

74 Invited image
    44 image are ready to party!
    31 image declines
    0 imagecan't find the bleeping mailbox
    RSVP Date: Sept 24
  • 1, 2 and 4 I would get gifts for rather than tip them. It's awkward to give friends money.

3 I would tip.

5 - are they self employed? If yes, than I wouldn't tip. If they're an employee, tip them.
    Anniversary
  • Our DJ is costing about the same as yours and they wrote the suggested tip as $115.  That is in SD so I don't know if it would be different where you are.  It's a good guideline I think.  I agree with PP that with friends providing services a gift card or something up that alley would be a nice gesture.
    Anniversary
    Missing our September Sunflower
    BFP 12/23/12: EDD 9/01/13: MMC 1/31/13, baby stopped growing at 8w2d. D&C 2/01/13
  • edited October 2012
    ]1.  My Hairdresser - not charging me - friend - doing it at my house - tip? 

Give a gift not a tip-I did an infinity necklace she's been wanting for forever.

2.  Officiant - my boss - judge  - not charging me - doing it as a gift (and paying me all the days I will be gone even though i dont have the time off)  tip?

Give a gift not a tip-we did a certificate to his favorite restaurant for two.

3.  Venue - ceremony/reception/catering all by same person same place - there is a contract - says nothing about tipping - we will be provided with a full staff from this place - tip?

We asked if the 'Service Charge' is the staff's hourly wage or gratuity. For us it is their gratuity. So no extra tips to the servers/bartenders/kitchen staff. We are not tipping the coordinator. That is her JOB to organized everything. She is getting PAID to do that. We are sending a nice ($150) bottle of wine though as a thank you.

4.  Cake person - not charging me - friend of family - gift is the cake - tip?

No.

5.  DJ - nothing in contract about tipping?  Paid 585.00 for 6 hours of service - tip?

Does s/he work for a company or own their own company? Ours works for a company so we are tipping him $250 on an $1,800 bill.

Thanks for looking (thanks LoriMC12 from an earlier post) I wasn't going to tip anyone...and all the sudden, I'm thinking...um....should I be tipping?  I dont want to be rude  in anyway...it just hadn't crossed my mind and budget is pretty gone...you know? Thanks everyone!

ETA: Didn't notice the cake was from a friend/family. They should be getting a gift.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards