Wedding Party

MOH holding her own bouquet + rings?

I have what seems, even to me, to be a silly question. Our wedding party consists only of my two MOHs. There is no Best Man. I had imagined (and asked) one MOH to hold my bouquet when it comes time to do the rings and the other to hold the rings. One of my MOHs (I'll call her Ann) e-mailed me today and said that if she has to carry her own bouquet and perhaps adjust my train, she really didn't see how she could hold the rings since her dress does not have a pocket. 

She then asked whether her 14-year-old son could be an "adult" ring bearer/carrier. As much as I like her son, I do not want to add a person to the WP three weeks before the wedding. I especially don't want to add someone who is the son of one of my friends when my fiance has none of his friends/family standing beside him (the person who would have been his Best Man is actually now our officiant!).

I don't see what the big deal is for Ann to hold her bouquet and rings. Any adjusting of the train will be momentary. I think she could just lay her bouquet on the floor for a moment if need be. But maybe I'm not seeing this clearly. I suppose we could always ask the officiant to hold the rings: would that be acceptable? I think Ann is just creating drama and trying to get her son into the WP. My other MOH said, "Tell her to put the ring on her thumb," but Ann will actually have two rings, mine and the groom's, as there is no Best Man.

Ann is a smart, capable, professional woman. I find it hard to believe that she can't cope with holding two things at once, but maybe I'm wrong. Yes, she may not have a pocket in her dress, but, if I were her, I would hold the small ring box in my hand right along with my bouquet. I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff, but she needs a reply. Your thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: MOH holding her own bouquet + rings?

• I wore both rings on my fingers when I was an moh. I also had my bouquet and the brides. If she can't, I would ask the officiant to hold them
  • Here's another option. Give both rings to the 2nd MOH.  Drama queen should be able to hold your bouquet.  Good luck!

• I don't see why she can't do it, but I wouldn't try to convince her since you can't reason with people sometimes! You could always have your fi put them in his pocket, or he could hold yours and you could hold his. I wouldn't let her silliness get to me!

When I was married previously, we totally forgot to give the rings to the best man, which I discovered JUST as I was to walk up the aisle. I carried them up myself no problem, and handed them to the minister when it was time. As long as they make it up to the end of the aisle, that's what counts!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_moh-holding-her-own-bouquet-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:c7f7c3c8-bb0f-4a54-b8a6-d0ae63eb2485Post:5734c7a8-09ef-46f2-ae05-6655004d7574">MOH holding her own bouquet + rings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have what seems, even to me, to be a silly question. Our wedding party consists only of my two MOHs. There is no Best Man. I had imagined (and asked) one MOH to hold my bouquet when it comes time to do the rings and the other to hold the rings. One of my MOHs (I'll call her Ann) e-mailed me today and said that if she has to carry her own bouquet and perhaps adjust my train, she really didn't see how she could hold the rings since her dress does not have a pocket.  She then asked whether her 14-year-old son could be an "adult" ring bearer/carrier. As much as I like her son, I do not want to add a person to the WP three weeks before the wedding. I especially don't want to add someone who is the son of one of my friends when my fiance has none of his friends/family standing beside him (the person who would have been his Best Man is actually now our officiant!). I don't see what the big deal is for Ann to hold her bouquet and rings. Any adjusting of the train will be momentary. I think she could just lay her bouquet on the floor for a moment if need be. But maybe I'm not seeing this clearly. I suppose we could always ask the officiant to hold the rings: would that be acceptable? I think Ann is just creating drama and trying to get her son into the WP. My other MOH said, "Tell her to put the ring on her thumb," but Ann will actually have two rings, mine and the groom's, as there is no Best Man. Ann is a smart, capable, professional woman. I find it hard to believe that she can't cope with holding two things at once, but maybe I'm wrong. Yes, she may not have a pocket in her dress, but, if I were her, I would hold the small ring box in my hand right along with my bouquet. I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff, but she needs a reply. Your thoughts?
    Posted by PJSPJS[/QUOTE]

If the guy who was going to be the best man is going to be there as the officiant why not have him still hold the rings?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you, all! I see that there are lots of other options: ourselves, the other MOH, our officiant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The groom can hold the rings, too!  He's got the suit on and it has pockets.  If she's nervous to hold them, then give them to someone else.  It's a small issue.

• Ditto Retread. For my sister's wedding I pretty much just wore the groom's ring on my thumb until it was asked for.  For the train and bouquet, I adjusted her train, then took her bouquet. I'll admit it was kind of tricky to hold both bouquets and get the groom's ring off my thumb but it was managable. When the JoP asked for the rings I had it in my hand ready to hand off. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree with the others... sounds like she's being a MOHzilla and just wants to see her grown son in a cute little tux... I vote give the rings to the officiant he usually asks "may I have the rings" anyway, so he could just omit asking for them.
    Live Well - Laugh Often - Love Much Chelsea & Chris Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards