Wedding Reception Forum
Options

How to politely decline vendor....

Working on bartenders, got a quote from one and was planning on using them until they added a number of details to the contract that they won't budge on.  I'm just annoyed in general but then got a new quote today from a different bartending service that's much more reasonable. 

If you've had this particular issue - how have you told vendors you won't be moving forward with them?

Re: How to politely decline vendor....

• Options
    If you already signed the contract with the first vendor and decide not to go with them, you will probably lose your deposit. Just call them and tell them that you are no longer using them and then thank them. Period.

I never had this issue when planning my wedding.
  • Options
    I didn't sign the contract - basically talked to them in the last week and they are expecting me to send in a signed contract any day now, but I'd like to let them know we won't be going with them.
  • Options
    Send an email saying that your plans have changed and you will not be able to sign the contract. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

If they don't want to budge on certain contract terms then just say:  "Thank you for your time in discussing your services with us, however, we have decided to go with a different vendor for our bartending needs at our wedding.  Once again, thank you for your time."

If they knew you were iffy on some of the contract terms this shouldn't be a major shocker.  Also, keep in mind that vendors are competing against each other all the time.  Sometimes you win a contract and sometimes you don't.  They'll understand.

• Options
    Yeh, if you're nervous about calling them, just shoot them an email or even a letter saying exactly what PP's said.
  • Options
    I would probably e-mail them to let them know that the changes made to the contract were either higher than your budget permits and you have decided to go with another service or that the changes resulted in their service not quite being what you were looking for. 

If the issue is budget, it gives them the opportunity to give you a modified contract that may be able to match or beat their competitor.  If it's the details of the contract, again it gives them the opportunity to change the contract, while letting them know that their refusal to budge resulted in them losing business.

You could also just not proceed any further, which is what we did with a lot of vendors who gave us initial quotes.  Then if they continue to contact you, let them know that you've opted to go with a different vendor.
  • Options
    The important thing is to let them know and let them know quickly so they can make other bookings. They're professionals and I'm sure have been not-booked before.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards