New Jersey

Stupid luggage question

MH and I need to get carry-on bags for a trip next month. We don't want to check any luggage.

Continental's carry-on policy says:

The maximum combined linear measurement (L + W + H) of the carry-on bag is 45 inches (115 cm)up to 14 in x 9 in x 22 in. The maximum weight of the carry-on bag is 40 pounds (18 kg).

So does that mean that a bag like this is no good, since it's 20 in x 14 in x 9 in? Or is it O.K. since the dimensions total 43 inches? http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=322136&CategoryID=42988 

I'm just confused if the total linear measurement is what's important, or if they can get you with the LWH having to be specifically under 14x9x22, and no combinations of those numbers. Know what I mean?

*brain fart*

Re: Stupid luggage question

• mchristian05mchristian05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm, not sure.  I know they usually have something at the airport that you can put your bag in to see if the size qualifies as "carry on".  You can also try calling continental...they may be able to answer the question
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm no help but let us know what you find out! We'll be traveling on Contintental for our honeymoon and I still need to buy luggage but the restrictions make me nervous.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Should be OK, its under 22 in.
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe I'm reading your question wrong, but isn't it below the maximum dimensions anyway?  14 x 9 x 20 is smaller than 14 x 9 x 22.  I don't think it matters which you call the length and which you call the height.  They just need to be able to fit it overhead.
  • edited December 2011
    Unless i"m reading this wrong, the bag you're looking at is 2 inches smaller than the max, so I'd think you'd be fine...

• melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't understand what you mean. It's both less than 45 inches total and smaller than their maximum dimensions, so what's leading you to believe it wouldn't it be OK? And no one is going to check it that closely anyway.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_stupid-luggage-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:1361b253-222d-4d79-b7aa-020e41279e8ePost:72ec574d-1a46-40d5-abb5-d5906de7b65a">Re: Stupid luggage question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe I'm reading your question wrong, but <strong>isn't it below the maximum dimensions anyway?</strong>  14 x 9 x 20 is smaller than 14 x 9 x 22. <strong> I don't think it matters which you call the length and which you call the height.</strong>  They just need to be able to fit it overhead.
    Posted by uppereastgirl[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured, that the total dimensions are what matters.

At first I thought the 14x9x22 figure was just an example of a piece of luggage that'd be under 45 inches total, but the wording made me think that they HAD to be those particular dimensions or under. 

You're right, I was mainly concerned about the length and height, even though I figured that as long as it's under the total dimensions and can fit in an overhead it'll be O.K. I just didn't want to be at Newark ready to go on my trip and have someone say to me, "Ooops, you don't have the correct dimensions, you're screwed!"

• melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The height on that one is still 20"...they jsut listed the measurements in a different order.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If they have a problem with the height, just turn the suitcase sideways :)
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ... I didn't think it will matter as long as I come in under 45" total, but I haven't flown internationally since before 9/11 so I didn't know how strict they've been about things like this and I wanted to check.

I told you it was a stupid question :P
  • felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not a stupid question at all, I think people get confused about that all the time, but I can guarantee you that as long as the total is under 45 inches, you are good to go! I am a frequent Continental Flyer.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I find that they're stricter about things like liquids than size of bags (unless your bag is blatantly too big -- like won't fit through the security scanner).  I've never had a bag measured, even when I'm sure it was stuffed enough to be too wide (and I've had slightly overweight bags before and have never been charged)

It all depends on who you're dealing with -- I very blatantly carried on like 10 full-sized bottles of liquids from LCY to DUB in February.  The guy at the security checkpoint searched my luggage by hand because, as he explained it, "you have all sorts of liquids and weird electronics in here" (which was true -- tons of liquids, white noise machine, Clarisonic, flat iron).  But he didn't confiscate anything, somehow, and he didn't laugh at my neti pot, somehow.  And I'm sure that you're someone who is pleasant enough in person to get away with minor violations :)
  • edited December 2011
    If all else fails and they tell you it's too big to fit (it might not if the plane is older, grr!) then you can gate check the bag. No charge there!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    Agree w/ Raangoli, I fly Continental a lot, they are very lax w/ the carry on policy. I usually have a rollerback suitcase, laptop shoulder bag, and purse.  I've only had to gate check when they run out of room on the plane.

And if you're going out of Newark, they don't enforce that 3oz policy either...
    The best is my protein powder I carry on, fine white powder in a clear container...never have been questioned...comforting isn't it!?
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wagnerdi, I carry baggies of salt (for the aforementioned neti pot) -- never been questioned about that either!!!

Protein drink for a flight is smart -- I should bring that as a snack next time I fly.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, Newark's scared me a few times with how lax they are.

We're flying into London Heathrow, then into Dublin International, then back to Newark. So I'm also concerned about how strict they might be at Heathrow and Dublin, moreso than Newark.
  • edited December 2011
    ahh, yes, flying international is different...altho you're still good w/ that overhead bag size :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards