Catholic Weddings

Inviting the Pope

I have heard that if you send the Pope a wedding invitation, he will send you a letter of congratulations (this is separate from a Papal Blessing).

Was wondering if anyone has sent him an invitation or was planning to do so. I found this address but feel like it's too short-

His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI
00120 Via del Pellegrino
Citta del Vaticano

Re: Inviting the Pope

• edited December 2011
    I hadn't thought about sending the Pope an invitation.  It makes sense that his address would be pretty simple.  After all, there probably aren't too many other people going by His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI.
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did it. 

Haven't gotten anything back yet, but it's only been a few weeks. GL!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and BTW - same thing if you send one to the President. He send you a lovely certificate too.

The Honourable President and Mrs. Barack Obama
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Northwest
    Washington, District of Columbia 20001
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Meltoine - Is that the same address you used for the Pope?

I have the President too, looking forward to getting their responses :) thanks!
  • MissAngelMissAngel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard about this too... but never heard if anyone actually got one, but thanks for reminding me!
  • edited December 2011
    For what it is worth, I sent an invitation to the Pope for our wedding and never heard back.  It would have been nice to get a papal blessing- I just had too much else going on when planning to look into this.

We did get a congratulations from the President and First Lady.
    DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts (4AB & 3BB); 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Keeping fingers crossed
    Everyone is welcome!
  • PressMePressMe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hadn't heard about sending an invitation to the Pope.  However, we are applying for a Papal Blessing through the Archdiocese.
    edited December 2011
    A Papal Blessing and the supposed Congratulations you get from the Pope are two different things, but I plan on doing both.
  • akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a cool idea. I have never heard of doing this.

FI and I are going to Rome for our honeymoon and going to the mass where the Pope blesses the newly married couples. We were told we have to be in our wedding attire, so getting my dress over there will be interesting.
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the input, ladies! I'll still send him an invite regardless. We requested our Papal Blessing through our pastor a few months ago and I'm REALLY excited about that :)
  • akg0053akg0053 member
    edited December 2011
    How do you get a papal blessing?
    118 image
  • edited December 2011

Our Priest had to request it through the Vatican. Inquire with your church, they know a lot more about it than I do.

• akg0053akg0053 member
    edited December 2011
    Oh ok. Thanks!
    118 image
    edited December 2011

You go to your Chancellor Office in the Diocese that you are in... there is a procedure and it costs about $50+ depending on the style of parchment you want... some are bigger or smaller, some have the Pope's picture, some don't... etc... but they have all the info and the form you need to fill out.  I have the procedure for Dallas if you want to see...

christine.dallasembroidery at hotmail

• edited December 2011
    We are sending an invitation to the Pope... FI is Republican and he said a bunch of things I would not repeat here, when I said we can email the president.
  • edited December 2011
    I never even thought of sending an invite to the Pope! FI and I are getting a Papal blessing though.

We are also sending an invite to the President and Joe Paterno.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_inviting-pope?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:96a85a8e-7ec9-41df-8622-7b944af36333Post:3df69da1-3a24-4a6b-a0d5-9e4b478c65fa">Re: Inviting the Pope</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are sending an invitation to the Pope... FI is Republican and he said a bunch of things I would not repeat here, when I said we can email the president.
    Posted by e_jakiela[/QUOTE]
    FI isn't a fan of our President either- and didn't understand why I wanted to invite him to our wedding, haha. I've heard they send you a nice congratulatory card, and regardless of whether I like him or not, I think it would be a pretty cool thing to have for our scrapbook.
  • edited December 2011
    I am going to have to try this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I'm dying of laughter about the Republican FI comment... I think my dad would disown me if I did that!!

Quick question...can you get a Papal blessing if your FI was baptized Methodist?
  • edited December 2011
    Haha, we are Republicans, too, and wish we had a different president to invite, lol.  Well, maybe you can invite former presidents!

stillundecided4 Finding it hilarious you're inviting Paterno!  FI's a big Penn St. fan, too.  Maybe we'll invite him along with Duke's Coach K!
  • calli0pe00calli0pe00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh wow, this is neat! I didn't know about this! I'm definitely going to do it.
  • edited December 2011

A couple from one of our mission got married and recieved the papal blessing. They were both really involved in our church nationally and our head bishop , we don't have cardinals yet working on it, apparently spoke to the pope about their wedding. I will probably send an invite as well, but talking to the diocese or a bishop/cardinal would probably be more helpful.

Update 6/13/2010
    June 2011 SiggyChallenge: Wedding Cake
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You will also get a congrats from the queen of England if you send her an invite. And Mickey and Minnie Mouse.  I know it seems silly but hey it's once in a lifetime why not try.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards