Getting in Shape
Options

Inches and pounds

I have read a few posts recently that have said that they have lost inches, not pounds or vice versa. I am now kind of confused because doesn't poundage expand you (therefore gaining inches) and losing it lead to lost inches for the most part? I understand that if you are building muscle while losing weight you can lose inches and not weight, but is there another way?

Re: Inches and pounds

• Options

2 people can have exact same weight but these 2 people can look entirely different if one was more muscular 'toned' than the other.

Kate- to get an exact percentage of your bodyfat you can use a method where your entire body is dunked in the water. Most people who get this done are athletes or fitness competitor for a cost. Some people do body fat calipers however if this is going to be done there can be discrepancies on the % depending where you take it and who does it. Otherwise any calculations that you do online is bogus.

• Options
    probablykate, I was using a Tanita body fat scale (that you step on) to measure, but it's sort of stopped working.  Now I'm using calipers to track progress.  The exact number might be off, but at least I'll be able to track changes.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have lost inches and body fat % which is what counts. It's true that you lose fat but gain muscle and that is much denser. My trainer tells me this all the time when I get weighed and the pounds stay the same but the inches and body fat drop. You will notice the changes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards