New Jersey
Options

Tips for Negotiating Venue?

Good morning! FI and I went on our first appt with a caterer yesterday, and it was very straightforward... "these are our packages, we can't change anything to lower the price"... I'm unsure of what FI and I should and shouldn't say when trying to negotiate prices with venues... how honest should we be? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!! TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tips for Negotiating Venue?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It's going to depend on the venue I think. Some places are going to be willing to negotiate, but if you're looking at a really popular place that is already booked up a year and a half in advance, I don't think they're going to be willing to do very much for you. I did not negotiate the starting price at my venue, but I did get them to throw in a few things other venues were including and also had them discount enhancers. If you have a high minimum headcount you can guarantee, you might use that to your advantage to get them to come down on the price per head if you guarantee x amount of people - or ask them to throw in free stuff for guaranteeing x amount of people. Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Most places are not 100% booked unless you are looking at a date like 9.10.11 or 7.7.7 or something like that. 

We came up with a $ in our head for what we wanted to spend in total and after meeting with the vendor and hearing their prices we would say "Oh well we had a budget of $xx,xxx for xxx people in mind". We were able to get every venue we saw  to meet that $ ammount but what they offered you was different. One place cut 1hr off of the open bar, another took away the chair covers. 

We ended up saving $35pp on our venue. 
    It can't hurt to ask! 

---The Nest makes me wanna---
    imageimage
    ---Started TTC 12/1/11---
    Cycle 1 - 13 BFN
    Cycle 14 Surgery complete! BFP on 2/27/13!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC buddies with sparklingdiamond and amandaf6383
  • Options
    TwoByTwilightTwoByTwilight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some places will negotiate with you, in my case we got very lucky since we were booking for far in advance. We basically said, we want a Sunday price for a Saturday wedding and they gave it to us. They also gave us a discount on one of the dinner choices which is $8 pp, we got it for $3 pp.

Not everyone will budge but if you go in early enough and you seem really interested when the time comes to sign the contract they just want your business. Also they know if they make YOU happy you will tell other people about your great experience and that can lead to other potential clients.
  • Options
    cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't really recall any caterers offering to lower their prices for us, and we met with a bunch. We were able to work with the budget, but opting to have a Friday evening wedding, which saved money, and had a lower minimum guarantee. We also haggled a little bit to get the centerpieces thrown in for free, and a reduced price on the uplighting they provide.
  • Options
    gina613gina613 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies, so much! I am looking for November 2012 so I am hoping I am early enough. Looking at a hotel venue and so far they claim to be flexible... fingers crossed! Thanks again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You'd be surprised how many places are booked this far out. We booked our Sept 2011 wedding in May 2010 and there were already dates booked in September at that time.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If they won't negotiate on price, see if they will negotiate elsewhere ... maybe you will guarantee a higher minimum, or maybe they will take some things out of your package (like nixing one food station or something like that).
  • Options
    buttrflyahbuttrflyah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The venue saying they are not willing to negotiate may be a scare tactic.  Every venue I visited was willing to work with us.  You need to ask though.... don't wait for them to offer to lower the price.

What worked for us was us saying that we were not receiving any money from our parents and that we were paying for it ourselves (This isn't true), raising our minimum guarantee, telling them what we could afford AFTER tax and gratuities per person, being flexible with the day/time/month.  

I always kept asking if their offer was the absolute best they could do... and they kept going lower.  I know its awkward but YOU are the customer!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    bereasonable2bereasonable2 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A word of caution here.  I have a friend in the catering business.... not a huge wedding hall, but a private catering business.  When clients negotiate lower prices, you know what they get?  Lower quality ingredients.

I think most vendors can cut you a deal, but then they have to cut some corners on the back end to still make their money.  At least that's what I'm thinking.

The biggest money saver is probably booze/open bar.  If you really want to save money, I'd probably just do a cash bar.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're looking for November I would seriously start looking now.  There are people who have longer engagements who book way ahead of time so right there, you could be limited if you had your heart set on a certain date.

If they're not willing to negotiate on price, ask if they can upgrade cocktail hour, linens, chair covers, minumums, the main courses, lighting if they have it, etc.  There are so many other areas that they can tweak to at least get you more for what you're paying.  Keep in mind that there is a recession going on, people don't want to pay a thousand upon thousands for weddings AND these places need the business no matter what.

My manager is an angel... He gave us the Friday night price for very close to the Sunday price (couldn't meet us there completely, understandable), threw in VH/ice cream bar, and took $250 off of the ceremony set up.  We wanted the raw bar @ cocktail hour but not for $15/pp...when we brought him cash he threw in the raw bar too!   Just search until you're happy and comfortable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    gina613gina613 member
    edited December 2011
    Great tips!!! Thank you all so much! I am aiming to see some places this weekend... we really are paying for it ourselves and we've waited for FI to get his FT promotion... now that he got it, I am going full speed ahead!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely make cuts elsewhere before I did a cash bar. That just isn't going to fly in North Jersey.

Cut something else like chair covers or the extra desserts, or have a restaurant reception instead of a catering hall reception. Or, if cutting back on the bar is truly the only option at that point, do a limited bar with beer, wine and maybe some house liquors.
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I highly doubt you are going to get lower quality ingredients if you negotiate price. The venue is not going to purchase cheaper/lower quality food because they knocked off $3 pp.
  • Options
    bereasonable2bereasonable2 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_tips-negotiating-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:6c23a481-c636-4437-932e-7b66382b80d9Post:d7534628-4561-43de-b84e-e64298c96307">Re: Tips for Negotiating Venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I highly doubt you are going to get lower quality ingredients if you negotiate price. The venue is not going to purchase cheaper/lower quality food because they knocked off $3 pp.
    Posted by cindyn9178[/QUOTE]

<div>They might if they knock off $35 per person like someone above said.  It's not even worth haggling over $3/person.  C'mon.  You're going to be a cheap ass over $450?</div><div>
    </div><div>Again, quit harassing me.  Stop following me around.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We saw a lot of venues. Some were willing to lower prices - even before we asked - although I'm sure it was part of their sales pitch. And the others just swapped food items. At one venue we weren't interested in the Viennese hour so they said they would bulk up the cocktail hour. We were able to get a lower price by booking on a holiday weekend. 
  • Options
    gina613gina613 member
    edited December 2011
    thanks! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    From what I've seen shopping, all venues seem to negotiate if you are looking at short term. They said if I book May 2012 or earlier, that I could get an amazing deal. They want to book those empty dates so they are much more willing to negotiate. And of course, they are much more open to coming down on the price on Fridays than Saturdays.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards