Wedding Party

Champagne for Bridesmaids before pictures

So I am planning on giving little champagne splits in the limo on the way to our ceremony/reception site.  First when we arrive we will take pictures then it's photo time.  I'm afraid my bridesmaids will look glassy eyed, red-faced or too buzzed in my photos.  I want my photos to look nice and classy and not like we are partying (yet). I don't want to be lame by not letting them drink in the limo. Any suggestions on when I should let them drink a bit without looking dishevled in the photos?

Re: Champagne for Bridesmaids before pictures

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_champagne-for-bridesmaids-before-pictures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:e73bb9f6-92ee-4d08-984e-d14950f89090Post:1f9ee9f2-ec19-4df5-907f-df6189ce10bd">Champagne for Bridesmaids before pictures</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I am planning on giving little champagne splits in the limo on the way to our ceremony/reception site.  First when we arrive we will take pictures then it's photo time.  I'm afraid my bridesmaids will look glassy eyed, red-faced or too buzzed in my photos.  I want my photos to look nice and classy and not like we are partying (yet). I don't want to be lame by not letting them drink in the limo. Any suggestions on when I should let them drink a bit without looking dishevled in the photos?
    Posted by vkayse137[/QUOTE]

<div>You're way overthinking this. Champagne fizzes so much you barely get a few sips in a flute anyway AND I'd like to know who gets visibly drunk from one freaking glass? Have a toast in the limo and don't be the drinking police. </div>
  • I drank before my own wedding and before BIL and SIL were married.  The trick is to serve everyone only a small amount.

I was one of 5 or 6 BMs who had champagne with the bride's parents before we got in the limo.  One glass of champagne does not a glassy eyed BM make.

The other key is to make sure that there aren't any empty stomachs before the drinking begins.
  • Excuse me artbyallie...I'm not way overthinking this just because it's earlier doesn't mean it's over thinking how nice I my bridesmaids pictures to luck.  It's a very important day in my life with my photos of memories to last forever.  Just because most brides don't think about this doesn't mean I'm the drinking police it just means I pay attention to detail.

thanks banana468, food in the stomach always helps!!
  • Have some respect for your friends. Surely they know how to conduct themselves before a wedding ceremony, without you policing their alcoholic intake.
  • If you're this worried about it, then cancel the champagne.  
  • Personally I think one glass of champagne is a nice way to get people to loosen up a little bit for the pictures-yes, its formal, but we have all seen those pictures with the huge, forced smile going on. A glass may help those who aren't so comfortable feel a little more loose, but not too loose, LOL!
  • I've drank champagne before the weddings I've been in and did not look glassy-eyed or buzzed by picture time. As long as you're not beer bonging vodka in the limo I think you'll be fine ;)
  • I get where you are coming from and agree with Banana, food it key.
    That being said, I think a glass or 2 of champagne will be fine. Unless people don't drink, I doubt a glass or 2 with cause people to 'look drunk'.

I'm sure it will be okay and if you are that worried, then skip it all together.
  • Are your friends complete light weights? I mean, I don't know too many people who will be drunk and look glassy eyed from a flute or two of champagne. And, how long is the limo ride? Unless their beer bonging the champagne, I think you'll be fine. 

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_champagne-for-bridesmaids-before-pictures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:e73bb9f6-92ee-4d08-984e-d14950f89090Post:5e64d10b-f16d-428f-a27e-c7e940124d0f">Re:Champagne for Bridesmaids before pictures</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have some respect for your friends. Surely they know how to conduct themselves before a wedding ceremony, without you policing their alcoholic intake.
    Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

<div>Excuse me, OP, but this was my point.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_champagne-for-bridesmaids-before-pictures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:e73bb9f6-92ee-4d08-984e-d14950f89090Post:6d6142e2-2309-4fe8-80d0-74730c29b477">Re: Champagne for Bridesmaids before pictures</a>:
    [QUOTE]Excuse me artbyallie...I'm not way overthinking this just because it's earlier doesn't mean it's over thinking how nice I my bridesmaids pictures to luck.  It's a very important day in my life with my photos of memories to last forever.  Just because most brides don't think about this doesn't mean I'm the drinking police it just means I pay attention to detail. thanks banana468, food in the stomach always helps!!
    Posted by vkayse137[/QUOTE]

If you are that worried (which I agree is a bit overzelous) then just serve sparkling apple juice.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Unless your friends are the type that go "oh, some alcohol... Let's immediately get drunk," you are probably over thinking this. On the other hand, while I'm not a total lightweight, I personally get all redeyed on one drink. If I had been forewarned, I would personally have some eye drops on hand for pics because I am aware of my issue. I think a lighthearted headsup may be appropriate just so your friends could be prepared if they're like me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • OP - I think it would be fine to have a little champagne... I wanted to mention this though because riding in the car can be a bit tricky... there is champagne called "Sophia" by Francis Coppola and it comes in little pink cans with straws attached. This would be super cute (I think) and help prevent spills. :) Plus the cans are not huge so while you would be able to enjoy a champagne drink/toast, you also wouldn't be getting tipsy.

Just a thought. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You can do whatever you want, but I think your friends are going to think you're a complete nut if you start bossing them around when it comes to champagne.
  • OP - you really are overthinking this.  That doesn't mean you are out of line for thinking about it at all and trying to prepare for it, but just that you are maybe running through too many scenarios in your head that are highly unlikely to happen (aka overthinking).  One or two flutes of champagne is very unlikely to make anyone drunk, unless they are an extreme lightweight and haven't eaten in days or something.  Just bring enough champagne with you to provide everyone with one glass to do a toast, and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Two of my BMs and I had a few mimosas in the morning when we were getting ready and I didn't even have a slight buzz, let alone look glassy eyed.  It will be fine, and I'm sure your BMs know not to get trashed before your wedding anyways, so they'll likely do the adult thing and stop drinking before they get to the point of being buzzed.  Have a little faith in them and it'll be all good.
    Anniversary
  • I think everyone should be fine with one or two glasses of champagne.  Like one of the PP said, just make sure there is food available before they start drinking anything.  That always helps!  haha

Also, if you are worried that your girls might get overly excited and hit the hootch a little too hard....just get 1 bottle of champage. Problem solved :)

I understand the concern and I don't think you are overthinking it.  You have a genuine concern and that is what these boards are for.  I don't think you will become the "drinking police" and I don't believe it gives the impression that you think less of your friends. 

I think a glass of champagne is a good way to loosen up a little bit.  I, personally, hate having my picture taken (Lord help me on my wedding day...) so I will absolutely being having a glass of champagne before I head to the ceremony haha. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 1.  I've been in a wedding in which the entire party had been drinking for the majority of the afternoon.  You'd never know from the pictures. 
    2.  They photoshopped a busted (and VERY bloody) lip from my best-ever bouquet catch photo -- different wedding.

Your photographer can probably handle whatever damage a little champagne might do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards