Wedding Etiquette Forum

Non-wedding Invitation Etiquette

DH's friend is graduating from pharmacy school, and her mom is throwing her a grad party. The invitation is inviting you to celebrate the graduation of Dr. First Last. So, cool because it's a grad party for a doctoral student or not cool because it's still a social invitation and it's not a medical doctor? All I can find online is about wedding invites.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Non-wedding Invitation Etiquette

• I think it's cute.

Granted I don't know what the REAL etiquette is on it, but I think I'd do it for a graduation.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I'm not sure what the rule is. I have several profressors who aren't medical doctors, but prefer to be addressed as Dr. since they have their Phd.

• I *think* doctor is correct, but I'm not entirely sure.
  • I think I'd let it slide, whatever the etiquette. Since it's a graduation party, she's celebrating the fact that she gets to put Dr. in front of her name.

I sometimes tease FI that he's going to have to call me Dr. Myname for a month after I graduate, because I will be so happy about it. :)
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • I think its fine because they aren't addressing the invitation to Dr. Friend, its a party in the honor of Dr. Friend.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited May 2010
    Are pharmacists called doctors though?  I know its common for PhDs and of course MDs, but I don't know that I've ever heard a pharmacist go by Dr. X.  If my mom sent out invitations for my law school graduation and said come celebrate the graduation of Dr. Fang, I know I'd be embarrassed.  Even if its a doctorate degree, no one uses the title dr for lawyers.  I think it would be fine for someone like a PhD candidate.  Even though its a social party, its to celebrate the degree that allows them to be called "Dr."  If pharmacists use that title, too then I think the invitation is fine.  If not, its weird. 
  • I think pharmacists are called Dr such and such.  With doctors its best to err on the side of caution.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yes pharmacists are called dr's. the have their phD in pharmacology
    Photobucket
  • bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Well, obviously, I know they are doctors of pharmacy. But I have never heard someone call them Dr. So&so. I've also not heard of a lawyer being called Dr. So&so. Or a professor outside of academia. And they all have doctoral degrees too.
  • He has a title that they've earned and he's allowed to use it. If he decides to be called that on a daily basis or not. He's still a dr. Maybe they just wanted to send an invite with his title so everyone know what he accomplished.  Either way, it's ok.
    Photobucket
  • H says pharamacists aren't don't use the title Dr even if they have a PhD. 

I don't think the invitation is inappropriate, it's not like it's celebrating the birthday of Dr. Pharmacist, it's celebrating her degree.  It's just weird if she will never be called Dr. Pharmacist in her career.  At least academic PhDs will be called Dr during their careers by students & their peers. 
  • it's not inappropriate to refer to a pharmacist as Dr., because he/she is one. no etiquette rules broken here. a friend of mine is graduating with his Pharm.D. this weekend as well, and I'll jokingly call him Dr. Dong (play on his last name), but I don't think he'll ever ask people to *call* him Doctor.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • It's fine because she's graduating. It's kind of the exception to the "no formal names on social invites" hoopla.
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • And now I wish I'd made my husband refer to me as Tax Master Lastname my whole graduation weekend. I missed that boat. It would just verge on obnoxious now.
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • *Long-time Lurker* It has to do with the fact that to become a pharmacist you used to only need a bachelor's degree in pharmocolgy, but laws now dictate a doctorate. Because older BS pharmacists were grandfathered in, the younger/newer pharmacists with doctorates often chose not to use their title. IMO, if you finish that much schooling with a doctorate, you can use the title Dr. (and I had a number of professor who graduated in non-medical fields of academia who used their Dr. title, i.e. highschool English teacher=Dr. XXX, or art history teacher= Dr. YYY)
  • I think it makes perfect sense to use it -- it's party in honor of her achieving her doctorate. Of course, she'd be named as Dr.

But on top of that, it makes ZERO sense to me that medical doctors are addressed as Dr. on social invitations, but not others. To me, it should be one or the other-- all doctors should use it or none.
  • It makes sense to use it.  I would do it.  

I actually went to college with a girl who was going for her PhD in Psych and when she got married, she refused to take her husband's name so that one day she can be called "Dr. Pepper"
  • I think it's fine and a cute way to celebrate her new PhD, which is a big deal to some people. It's more like a theme for the party I think. The only reason to be concerned about etiquette would be if the guests were being addressed as Dr. so and so because they had their PhDs. Even then, I'd still probably let it slide.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_non-wedding-invitation-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d0a95b41-19ca-4aae-9764-cbc3d7124394Post:e671dbb9-54d7-495d-ba4a-a9777a475c45">Re: Non-wedding Invitation Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]It makes sense to use it.  I would do it.   I actually went to college with a girl who was going for her PhD in Psych and when she got married, she refused to take her husband's name so that one day she can be called "Dr. Pepper"
    Posted by mizri[/QUOTE]

I knew a girl in college with the last name Pepper as well. we've also joked about her getting a doctorate eventually.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Pooh, wouldn't it be funny if it were the same girl?  I saw that you're from Houston, I'm from south of Houston...
  • edited May 2010

Did he complete a 'Doctor of Pharmacy' degree? Because in that case, he can legitimately refer to himself using the 'Dr' title, as far as I understand... 'Dr' isn't a title reserved for medical practitioners. 

*and you can be damn sure that when I finish my PhD (which is through the school of medicine, but completely unrelated to practicing medicine) at the end of the year, I will be adding a 'Dr' to my s/n, ha! 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_non-wedding-invitation-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d0a95b41-19ca-4aae-9764-cbc3d7124394Post:3e6fbd3f-af78-491a-9aa8-bbf1201f3633">Re: Non-wedding Invitation Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]H says pharamacists aren't don't use the title Dr even if they have a PhD. 
    Posted by fangsiting[/QUOTE]
    <p> </p><p>I think you'd find that if you went into academia, everyone (in every discipline) uses the title 'Dr' if they have a PhD, and this is regarded as appropriate use. </p>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_non-wedding-invitation-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d0a95b41-19ca-4aae-9764-cbc3d7124394Post:8de29e88-7413-4fad-8538-2c349298ef02">Re: Non-wedding Invitation Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are pharmacists called doctors though? 
    Posted by fangsiting[/QUOTE]

<div>If your friend went to a school of pharmacology and received his/her Doctor of Pharmacology degree, then yes, he/she is a doctor and has earned the right to be called "Doctor". Docs of Pharm go to school for six years and study many of the same courses as an MD (Chem, Anat, Biol., etc.)</div><div>
    </div><div>If your friend graduated for a tech school to become a Pharmacy Technician, then he/she is not a Doctor of Pharmacology and has not eared the right to be called "Doctor:" Pharm Techs generally receive their degrees in a few weeks. It's like becoming an X-Ray tech or US tech.</div>
  • let it go, it's a party invitation.

However, in this country it is incorrect to use Dr. for a PhD outside academia.

The title of Doctor is for M.D.s, Vets and dentists in social situations.

• wikipedia:

United States

In the United States, the title "Dr." is commonly used professionally by those who have earned a doctorate-level degree[35][36][37][38]. In addition, those who have been granted honorary doctorates are entitled to do so, especially in academic settings. The title is also commonly used socially by those holding a doctoral-level degree,[39] although some suggest restricting usage of such a title to the professional setting in order to avoid the suggestion of differing social stations in the social hierarchy.[40]

The American College of Clinicians and at least one state[41] recommends that health care professionals, including physicians, in the clinical setting use identification with an appropriate badge or name tag, as patients encounter a number of different practitioners. For example, all health care professionals should identify themselves and their profession when first meeting a patient.[42][43]

Though lawyers in the United States do not customarily use such a title, the United States law degree is the Juris Doctor, a professional doctorate degree,[18] and many J.D. holders in the United States use the title of "Doctor", especially in professional[19] and academic situations.[20]

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards