Wedding Reception Forum

Floral free wedding

We are having a late fall/early winter wedding next year. After looking at some floral prices, I decided I would rather keep flowers to a minimum, like bouquets and that is it. I was thinking about candle centerpieces. Like one of these: 

I have plenty of time to decide, but now I'm second guessing it. I was watching Four Weddings and one of the brides knocked off points of another bride for having a nonfloral centerpiece. Not that I am going to be on four weddings.... but will guests side eye my lack of florals?

It is just that I really am not a flowery girl. On top of that, I would rather just reallocate the money for flowers elsewhere, you know? I guess I just wonder if people think a more streamlined look is too bare? What do you all think?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Floral free wedding

• The whole point of that show is that they are 4 different brides with different tastes. Notice how one will go, "I'm a total princess and want lots of bling!" and then the one immediately following will say, "I absolutely hate bling!" So someone taking off points for no flowers is just part of the gimmick. 

I had floral centerpieces but they were manzanita branches with just a few flowers on them. Originally I planned to get married in the winter and would have done bare branches or filled vases with Christmas ornaments. 

Non floral centerpieces are just as lovely as floral ones. You do what you like and what fits your style best!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I love that cupcake tower of tea lights - sooo pretty.

Dont judge your wedding by Four Weddings.  That show is crazycakes.
  • I wouldn't side-eye it at all.  Not sure if you were thinking you might save money, but if that's a factor, I would rethink it.  Candles (especially THAT many candles) are expensive.  You'll also want to check with your venue to make sure that they are okay with that many candles, and if they have to be in a hurricane or behind glass or whatever.
    DSC_9275
  • who cares what's on tv? do what you want to do. if you want all candles do it.

• Im having a non floral wedding. The BM will carry 1 rose stem and that's it. For my centerpeices Im doing martini glasses with a submersible blue led light along waterballs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You can totally do non floral centerpieces but like another poster said you should be prepared to spend almost the same or only a little less if you plan on using lots of candles. Candles even if you bargain shop aren't as cheap as you may think. My centerpieces are non floral and I was shocked how much candles and candles holders cost once you add up how many you need to really make a centerpiece that makes a statement and fills up the middle of the table.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We used tea lights and other small candles on mirrored squares, which created a very warm, glowing atmosphere for dinner.  Perfect!
  • I personally love the look of tons of candles, without floral centerpieces. It's romantic and elegant, and reminds me of a long, cozy dinner party...and that would be the most enjoyable wedding atmosphere for me. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_floral-free-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:58ff7573-0245-4193-ad86-817c5d29b493Post:92d54bdd-09d6-446a-aec5-6ffee55b2512">Re: Floral free wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can totally do non floral centerpieces but like another poster said you should be prepared to <strong>spend almost the same or only a little less if you plan on using lots of candles.</strong> Candles even if you bargain shop aren't as cheap as you may think. My centerpieces are non floral and I was shocked how much candles and candles holders cost once you add up how many you need to really make a centerpiece that makes a statement and fills up the middle of the table.
    Posted by LuckyGirl1713[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>This.  And check with your venue because mine had a pretty hefty charge to set something like that up.  Between the cost of DIY candle centerpieces, the cost of storing and transporting them, and the cost of paying the venue people to set them up - I'm pretty sure I paid the same or less for floral centerpieces.</div><div>If its an aesthetic choice - then go for it.  Those pictures you posted were really pretty.</div>
  • I LOVE non floral centerpieces! Depending on the vendor they may have candle holders there and you can just supply the candles.  Also think about using mirrors and setting candles on top of them.  It fills up the table and the reflections make it easy to use less candles and still look beautiful!
  • I hope this link works.....a candlelit event can look gorgeous....even without the little bit of baby's breath that was added.......I believe the lace on some of the glass vessels was recycled from a parents wedding gown....

• We aren't having flowers either. Not even in my bouquet. I'm using feathers and fake ferns (they look real). The centerpieces are going to be feathers also. I think it's going to be pretty neat.
  • I am also not doing floral centerpieces. I am going to rent large candelabras for the tables. I dont what your price range is but i am renting 20 of them for $650. they are very pretty.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards