Not Engaged Yet

From Ring shopping to Proposal...

Hey girls.
I was just curious how long it was from the time you and your FI/Husband went ring sopping til he proposed.  My serious boyfriend and I decided a while ago that each other was the one. We talk about getting married every day and we went ring shopping back in September.

Re: From Ring shopping to Proposal...

• edited December 2011
    The bf & I went ring shopping 7 months ago and I'm still waiting. Could be a couple of weeks or a couple of months or a year depending on your bf! Good luck!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went ring shopping in June.  I still haven't gotten the ring (I don't know if he's bought it yet).  It will likely be a few more months before I do get it, but definitely by the end of the summer.

Everyone's different, there's definitely no set rule.  The only person who would be able to tell you how long your BF plans to wait is your BF.

Anniversary

• Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

We first looked at rings in late August or early September, he still hasn't bought one.  But it's mostly a financial situation.

Just don't take looking at rings to mean that he'll sneak tomorrow, buy it, and propose the next night.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    While I don't have an answer to your question (I don't intend on going ring shopping, so the engagement will come whenever it comes), I want to let you know that it's okay to sit your boyfriend down and talk about how he sees the future rolling out.  That being said, if you offer an ultimatum (I want to be engaged by this date, or I'm leaving) - bad things will happen. 

While I know you're anxious for the actual proposal, there's nothing wrong with enjoying this part of dating now.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • edited December 2011
    There were about 4 months or so between shopping and proposal.
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • msjenna519msjenna519 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2013
  • edited December 2011
    We looked at rings almost a year ago. It was more of an informational session for him. He didn't know anything about diamonds and wanted to know how much he should expect to pay. This past November we seriously went out and looked. He bought the ring at the beginning of December. He proposed last weekend. So, it took almost a year.

~~December 3, 2011~~
  • MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ring shopped on Friday and he proposed the following Tuesday.

Maybe I'm a bad example, he actually already had the ring in transit when he took me. He also told me while we were shopping it would be "at least 6 months from now"

Sneaky Pete.
  • edited December 2011
    We started ring shopping around March 2010.  He proposed in August.  But I think it really varies from couple to couple.
  • CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We went shopping and then he proposed a little over 2 weeks later. I found out that he got the ring in his hands on Sunday and he proposed on a Thursday. My FI can't keep a secret from me to save his life, so I was impressed by even the short amount of time he hid it from me.

ETA: He kept telling me it wouldn't be until spring time, so I wasn't getting my hopes up. I was honestly surprised he did it when he did (pleasantly surprised) Laughing
  • edited December 2011
    Going from ring shopping to proposal is going to vary from one couple to another for one reason or another. For us we went ring shopping in February and DH propsed in April. He told me he was going to propose sooner but right around the time he was originally planning I got some bad news regarding my mother's health so he waited. He got married in September of that same year (this was all in 2009).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We decided to start looking for the ring in April (2010).  We actually started looking in August.  He had the ring by early October, and we just got engaged a couple weeks ago.
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We went ring browsing a few times months before hand, I don't remember exactly when. 

We went ring shopping (ie, got my finger sized, picked out a ring) on September 5th.  He purchased the ring (without my knowledge prior) on September 7th, had is sized and picked it up September 9th and he then proposed our first day in Hawaii on September 10th....so 5 days for us.

It varies for the couple though.  I've heard of someone who actually had the ring in his posession for over a year before he proposed....
    Anniversary
  • desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    My H shopped, bought the same day, had it sized, picked it up, and held on to it about 24 hours before proposing.

But we'd been talking about marriage for a year and a half before that.

So yeah...it really varies.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really does vary.  FBD and I talked about marriage for about a year before he bought the ring.  He bought the ring, had it sized, and proposed a month later for our 4 year anniversary.  But again , this can vary.  

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    First looked at rings in Nov of 2008. Seriously looked at what i wanted in terms of style and size around April of 2009. He proposed in Nov 2009. All in all it was a year total.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    We talked about marriage around July of last year, went looking at rings August- early September.  Bless his heart, the man really wanted to be educated on diamonds, metals and settings.  He impressed every jeweler that we talked to when they asked what he was looking for.  He got the ring in September and held on to it.  Telling me that he had promised to propose before the end of the year, which means he had till 11:59 pm Dec. 31st.  Any time in Oct.-Dec. was fair game.  He pretty much convinced me that he was going to wait till the end of Dec.  He proposed on Oct. 16th after a session of surfing at our favorite beach.  But it does vary and depends on the couple.  Anywhere from a few days to a few months or a year. 
  • PolkaDotBellaPolkaDotBella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like others have said... it definitely varies couple to couple. We first went ring browsing in December of 2009 just to get an idea of what there was. Since then we'll pop into a store occasionally if we feel like it just to look, but no ring as of yet. We have talked about our timeline though so I know it'll happen within the next 2 years.
    You can always sit down and talk timelines with your bf just to make sure you are both on the same page.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
    ..::..In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities ~Janos Arnay..::..
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • MegOhSix489MegOhSix489 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI had my ring for about a year. He was waiting for a time when I wouldn't expect it but finally gave up because lets just face it, once youre excited and you know its going to happen any moment could be "it". The night it happened I was semi-suprised but still knew it was coming. I think it made it even more fun because the whole night I kept wondering when it would happen and when it did I still didn't believe it! I also enjoyed watching him be nervous all night. When a guy doesnt complain about DC traffic and asks for directions you know something big is about to happen. Haha.

Not that you have done this but as PP's have said, please dont give a timeline or a date. Why would you want to make someone propose, I like knowing that it was what my FI wanted, not just what I wanted. I have several friends that gave the "or else" threat and they are either 1. Unhappy in their relationship and engaged/married or 2. still pushing and causing unnecessary tension.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!
    Any other comments suely welcomed :)
  • Olliee1607Olliee1607 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We had talked about getting married/engaged in 2009, in Dec of 2009 he said we were 100% going to get married some day. We went and looked at rings through out 2010 [to appease my need to try on shiny things yep I was BSC] Talked about getting moissanite through out 2010, he purchased my moissanite in Nov. 2010 and asked me to be his wife in Jan. 2011.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Alice in Wonderland Planning Bio

image 83 Invited
    image 47 Attending
    image 5 Declined
    image 31 Unknown
    RSVP Date: May 2, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    I just asked DH, we think it was more than a year from the time we started really looking at engagement rings and visiting jewelry stores until the day he bought my ring.

Of course, once he had it in his hands, it was less than 24 hours before he proposed.

He likes to think things through. A lot. Plus, he graduated college in December 2008 and wasn't able to find a job for 6 months. That put a damper on things.
    Anniversary
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We picked my ring out together, so I was there when the order was placed. We got engaged about three weeks later (our trip had been planned for some time). The ring actually didn't arrive until about a week after we got engaged.
  • edited December 2011
    We started looking last month and we've been to about every single store. We have the ring picked out and yesterday we looked at it again and he got another(lower) quote on it and she kept bugging him to buy that day. She kept saying "she loves it, look at her smile with it on her finger. It's beautiful on her finger, I got you a great deal. Then she started in on how by tomorrow the gold and diamond price could sky rocket the price of the ring(lies but gotta admire her for trying lol) " He just said thank you and we left. I told him I didn't expect him to buy it right then, and he told me he is going to be buying it THIS month but I'll have to wait on the engagement. I am pretty sure it will be before summer since we have our date picked and he and I have talked about being engaged before I move in and that's in June so probably soon I'll get my beautiful ring :) We also looked at his ring and picked one out. I think it really helped him feel good he got to pick is his ring :) 
  • syounger4syounger4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My SO and I went looking at rings in mid January.  I'm still waiting for the engagement!  He said it's coming soon.  I think it really depends on the guy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards