Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

When do you say "I do"?

We just got the transcirpt for our wedding from the officiant. He has asked us to review it and make any additions/deletions. While it is very nice, no where during the vows or the ring ceremony do we actually say "I do". Where does this normally come during the ceremony and how is it usually worded? My fiance really wants it in there and at first I didn't even notice that it wasn't in but now I'm thinking it should be as well. Please help!

Re: When do you say "I do"?

• Options
    Google "wedding ceremonies".  You'll find countless examples of ceremonies that you can then tailor to your wishes.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I can only speak for Catholic weddings, but there are two places where you can say it.

First, the priest asks something about if you come here of your own free will, etc, and you can respond 'I do.'

What you are probably thinking of, though, is during the vows. In a Catholic ceremony, you can either repeat after the priest, "I, name, take you, name, to be my husband, .... until death do us part". No 'I Do'.
     OR, the priest can ask you, "Do you, name, take Name, to be your husband,.... until death to you part?" You respond "I Do!"

I have noticed that, the lack of a big I Do, but I would rather say the vows myself, to my husband, than  just agree to what the priest said. But either way is fine, at least in a Catholic ceremony.

HTH!
  • Options
    PP has it right.  Our ceremony doesn't have an "I Do" it has an "I Will".  I also agree with PP that I'd much rather say the "I will/do" to consent to marry my FI, but then say out my vows to FI.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In our ceremony, it was called the "declaration of intent" and came before we said our vows.

We used the contemporary ceremony on the left side - http://danieliza.googlepages.com/traditionalvs.contemporaryceremony
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We decided not to have the 'I do' part and instead just say our vows. It seems more romantic to us that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards