Not Engaged Yet

Help me start a blog.

I've been wanting to start a new blog for a long time, and that desire has only increased as some of you have started fun blogs of your own.  I want it to have some kind of "hook" or theme, and after discarding several ideas, I think I've come up with one I like.

I love to write fiction.  I'm not particularly good at it, but I enjoy it (and practicing will help me improve, yes?).  Sometimes, though, I have trouble finding inspiration.  But I just remembered an exercise we did in a fiction-writing class I took in college where we were given a picture with no captions or words of any kind, and had to write a story based on it.  Like a caption contest, but expanded.  So I thought, for my blog, I could get pictures from around the internet and use them to write a few [hopefully entertaining] paragraphs.

So now I need your help.  Here are my questions.

1.  Does my idea suck?

2.  What blog site should I use?

3.  Ideas for a name?  I thought about "A Thousand Words", as in "a picture is worth..." but I don't think I'm crazy about it.

4.  Does anyone want to find me a picture to use for my first entry?  I would rather not have to find them myself, because I'll be tempted to cheat and pass over pictures that strike me as challenging.

Re: Help me start a blog.

• edited December 2011
    1.  Does my idea suck?
    I think it's a great idea! I know there are all sorts of blogs out there, but I tend to prefer the ones where the author incorporates their personal life some. Which you could do (if you want) by having occasional posts that are about you and not a picture/story, or by incorporating bits about yourself and your life into the narratives you write (I realize it wouldn't be true fiction in that case). I think readers like to feel like they know the person behind the blog.

2.  What blog site should I use?
    Definitely Wordpress. I've heard they're far and away the best blog hosting site.

3.  Ideas for a name?  I thought about "A Thousand Words", as in "a picture is worth..." but I don't think I'm crazy about it.
    I actually like that name a lot. I'm terrible with this sort of thing, so I got nothin for alternatives.

4.  Does anyone want to find me a picture to use for my first entry?
    If I find something before I leave work for the day, I'll let you know! You could also do an introduction to the blog and how it's going to work for your first post.

Edited for spelling & grammar. Geez.
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Anne!  I was planning to incorporate some personal details into it a little at a time.  I agree in that most of my favorite blogs do that, but I also think there's a limit.  I don't like blogs that essentially online diaries.  That's why livejournal kinda died, huh?
  • edited December 2011
    I definitely agree. It also becomes a safety issue if you reveal too much. 

I think for your idea/direction, there are some really neat ways you could let your personality show, which is I guess what I meant more than telling people details about your personal life.
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Liv!  I'll use that picture.

And wordpress it is!  I actually already have an account from a long time ago, so that saves me some time.
  • SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea, and I think it would be fun to post pictures for you (maybe a daily thread here?) so that you can't cheat too much. :)

ETA: Wordpress by far!
    Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    That is such a great idea Elle!  Do it!!  Do wordpress so I can follow you!!  And I really like your blog name idea but I am weird like that!
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• edited December 2011
    Your idea does NOT suck!  I like it a lot.

I feel like I'm not one to talk about blogging, because I've neglected mine so much lately.  But I will say that I think it's fine (and good!) to write about your writers block.  It's a relatable subject.

As for inspiration, I think pictures off of the internet is one way to do it.  I work at a Chinese restaurant, so I would probably have my inspiration be my daily fortune from the fortune cookie.  I'd then title the blog Today's Fortune or something of the sort.

The point is to get a regular inspiration that will get you writing.  Maybe yours can be a different daily quote from HP, from any of the books in the series.  It can be titled Daily Plotter or something like that.  I know how HP inspires you, and I think you can run with it.
    edited December 2011
    Ahh, Shoes, I really like the fortune idea.  I actually collect fortune cookie fortunes because I find them so interesting.

And you're right, I do find a lot of inspiration in HP, too.

Maybe I shouldn't limit myself to using just pictures as inspiration?  Maybe I can just pick a different thing everyday, a picture, a saying, a quote from a movie or book, and write about whatever it inspires me to write about?  Some days it might be a piece of fiction, others a childhood memory, etc...

I think I'm starting to see it take shape.  Thanks, Shoes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards